Finish on 1:144 Scale BAe 146 ?

dr_gn

Got the Tamya white on, and I mixed some pale blue from some other Tamiya paints I had spare. The match to the decals was perfect, but I think it's darkened slightly after a couple of clear gloss coats. Not sure if the decals will darken also, but there you go!

uuXMyT5g.jpg

Ah well, at least Antony can have a laugh at me for saying I didn't need his *actual* FlyBe pale blue paint!

"...The match to the decals was perfect, but I think it's darkened slightly after a couple of clear gloss coats. Not sure if the decals will darken also, but there you go!..."

you could always weather it a bit to expain any difference in shade - very common on in-service airliners, along with other little things, like nose cones not matching up....

just thought I'd mention it :)

still looks good though.....

"...The match to the decals was perfect, but I think it's darkened slightly after a couple of clear gloss coats. Not sure if the decals will darken also, but there you go!..."

you could always weather it a bit to expain any difference in shade - very common on in-service airliners, along with other little things, like nose cones not matching up....

just thought I'd mention it :)

still looks good though.....

Thanks for the comments guys.

This one's a tricky little model I think. Trying to mask that pale blue so that it is level all around when viewed from the side wasn't easy, nor was painting the engine pod intake rims silver. I thought I'd be clever and just dip them in a 0.5 mm deep pool of silver paint. Worked perfectly until I lifted one out of the paint, and it had formed a film over the intake! When I 'popped' it with some tissue, the excess spread all over my perfectly painted and dark washed fan blades. I always have trouble with engine pods. I think it's the combination of having to detail the insides, then assemble and mask things up that are usually awkward shapes around the back ends. I also find it impossible to get rid of the internal jont line in front of the fan disc.

Regarding weathering: I'll do as suggested and try dark washing the control hinge lines and spoilers...and leave it at that.

Has anyone ever tried mixing/thinning Vallejo Air satin varnish with Klear to give a decent sheen as a finish coat??

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

"...dark washing the control hinge lines and spoilers..."

that could work....maybe a little streaking from lube on the bottom of the rudderr and on the flaps?

pencil is good for that