Finish on 1:144 Scale BAe 146 ?

dr_gn

Add too, a bit of artistic license, sometimes, trying to replicate clean reality can look false, so a pencil line here and there and a pastel brushing can change the effect from desk top ornament to a scale representation.

Returning to the original question, this is Revell Gloss White, with a Klear (2 coats) finish. It is fairly shiny, but the small size of the model reduces the reflective effect so that it is not particularly overdone.

P2200385a.jpg

P2200393a.jpg

FredT :)

Returning to the original question, this is Revell Gloss White, with a Klear (2 coats) finish. It is fairly shiny, but the small size of the model reduces the reflective effect so that it is not particularly overdone.

P2200385a.jpg

P2200393a.jpg

FredT :)

And that finish also looks just fine. Nice model.

Bugger could have done with that pic a few months ago!

Got a couple of others of the same aircraft if you're interested. I took them at the ASI dismantlers when negotiating to buy an old Jetstream fuselage for work.

They do not tend to show up............ here is one that shows the top of the pylons Rich LOL

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96833

It'll be reet with a bit of filler.

nice model up there

the fuselage of the average airliner is fairly smooth...unless it's very dirty, which some are but there are three areas that WILL show panel lines of one kind or another and the stains of use -

engines and pylons-

will always clearly show the line between reverse thrust cowls and the main part of the engine...

this is NOT plain white, silver or whatever colour the user paints it

there are also various vents, intakes and other little details to add to both engines and pylons.

Tail cone and fin/rudder -

again there is a clearly defined and very visible line between rudder and fin

if the aircraft has been used for a short time, the tail cone WILL get dirty and the panel lines in this area WILL show up

nose cone -

almost without exception the nose cone on all airliners is very visible.

there are other details that can be added to all airliners on the fuselage, eg the DC10...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Iberia/McDo...3b21edd53071cc9

since the topic is about the BAe 146 -

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...37fd0947b56aa1b

loads of pics whichj show what I'm on about.

as to the finish on a model, extra glossy airliners arent....unless they are being towed out of the paint shop after being newly done.

if you want to model them that way thats fine, I'v no problem with it, it's your model so do it how it suits you.

personally I'd rather5 add loads of detail and have them inservice and filthy dirty.....

but thats just me :)

nice model up there

the fuselage of the average airliner is fairly smooth...unless it's very dirty, which some are but there are three areas that WILL show panel lines of one kind or another and the stains of use -

engines and pylons-

will always clearly show the line between reverse thrust cowls and the main part of the engine...

this is NOT plain white, silver or whatever colour the user paints it

there are also various vents, intakes and other little details to add to both engines and pylons.

Tail cone and fin/rudder -

again there is a clearly defined and very visible line between rudder and fin

if the aircraft has been used for a short time, the tail cone WILL get dirty and the panel lines in this area WILL show up

nose cone -

almost without exception the nose cone on all airliners is very visible.

there are other details that can be added to all airliners on the fuselage, eg the DC10...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Iberia/McDo...3b21edd53071cc9

since the topic is about the BAe 146 -

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...37fd0947b56aa1b

loads of pics whichj show what I'm on about.

as to the finish on a model, extra glossy airliners arent....unless they are being towed out of the paint shop after being newly done.

if you want to model them that way thats fine, I'v no problem with it, it's your model so do it how it suits you.

personally I'd rather5 add loads of detail and have them inservice and filthy dirty.....

but thats just me :)

I know what you mean, but, at least on the first few pages of 146's on Airliners.net, they all appear to be very clean, and have an absence of any visible significant weathering. If the Tail Fin/Rudder is coloured, then the demarcation line is also effectively invisible. Even the all white one on the first page of images seems very clean and bright.

I think it depends on how close the viewer is, or what focal length the picture was taken with. The closer you get, obviously, the more weathering and panel lining you will see. On a larger scale model, fine, but on a 1:144 scale model '146, where the engine pod diameter is only about 10mm, and the wingspan less than 200mm, I'd say the level of realistinc weathering required is minimal.

For me at least, the relatively small amount of surface detail (probes, panels, rivets etc) possible with a model of this size makes extremely close inspection something to be avoided, and therefore the weathering and surface finish of the model should also reflect (ha ha) the original as viewed from a distance.

Just my opinion obviously.

"...with a model of this size..."

just because it's small doesnt mean it doesnt have to have detail....a 1/72 spitfire with all the cockpit detail installed is still small...

but the adding of that detail makes the model.

"...but, at least on the first few pages of 146's on Airliners.net, they all appear to be very clean,..."

I didnt say anybody has to weather them....just add the basic detail

"...with a model of this size..."

just because it's small doesnt mean it doesnt have to have detail....a 1/72 spitfire with all the cockpit detail installed is still small...

but the adding of that detail makes the model.

"...but, at least on the first few pages of 146's on Airliners.net, they all appear to be very clean,..."

I didnt say anybody has to weather them....just add the basic detail

...but a 1:72 Spitfire is *about* the same overall size as a 1:144 '146, therefore in absolute terms, every detail is about twice as big, and therefore easier to model.

For example, on the Spitfire, a standard component such as an instrument panel gauge, or a similar dimension like a panel gap or line, would be about twice as big as the equivalent on the '146. Apply this to the exterior details, and you'd have an almost impossible task to replicate many of the probes and details on the surface of the '146 model.

Apply this to degrees of weathering (which could also be thought of in dimensional terms) and much of it would surely become too small to see?

At the end of the day, I believe painting and weathering is more of an art than a technical exercise, so I guess it's a matter of taste.

How clean they are comes down to the owner. Ive noticed Ryan Air are normaly clean, but BMI Baby are quite dirty!

Who are you planing to do the 146 as?

Just the standard FlyBe scheme that comes with the kit.

"...painting and weathering is more of an art than a technical exercise, so I guess it's a matter of taste..."

I dont disagree with that...my taste is to model airliners as I see them, which in most cases has some weathering on them

and I include all the detail that I can, defo exterior details

"...painting and weathering is more of an art than a technical exercise, so I guess it's a matter of taste..."

I dont disagree with that...my taste is to model airliners as I see them, which in most cases has some weathering on them

and I include all the detail that I can, defo exterior details

Gave the engine pods a coat of Halfords white tonight, which was a mistake: far too thick for a model of this size.

At this rate it won't be worth *any* form of weathering :-(

"...Gave the engine pods a coat of Halfords white tonight, which was a mistake: far too thick for a model of this size..."

depends how close you hold the can to the model. Halfords can be used on any model and any part - but like most things its an art and needs practice to get right.

Hold the can well away from the part and give it quick but gentle squirts and dont point the can on to one area for any time - keep the part moving.

Once your happy with the number of coats of paint, use micro mesh to rub down and then bring up to the shine you want.

"...Gave the engine pods a coat of Halfords white tonight, which was a mistake: far too thick for a model of this size..."

depends how close you hold the can to the model. Halfords can be used on any model and any part - but like most things its an art and needs practice to get right.

Hold the can well away from the part and give it quick but gentle squirts and dont point the can on to one area for any time - keep the part moving.

Once your happy with the number of coats of paint, use micro mesh to rub down and then bring up to the shine you want.

I've used it on other models without too much trouble, but I found that to mist it onto small parts (or models for that matter), you end up wasting a stupid amount of it.

I was just trying to take a short cut, and rushing things (which I should know by now never works). The Halfords can was sitting there in front of me, and since I'd only just fully stripped and cleaned my airbrush it was too tempting.

I'll get some Tamiya gloss white and use my airbrush, just like I'd planned to do in the first place.

"...I was just trying to take a short cut, and rushing things (which I should know by now never works)..."

thats a different thing....lol....been there, done that - regretted it....

model looks good tho, loking forward to seeing it done :)