Finish on 1:144 Scale BAe 146 ?

dr_gn

Hello, Looking for some advice on finishing a Revell Avro RJ85 (Bae 146):

It's a small model in 1:144 scale, overall white finish. I'm wondering about the best finish to use - full gloss seems a bit too glossy at this size of model, matt would probably look totally wrong too, so does anyone have a good mix or manufacturer of varnish overcoat to give a decent satin finish?

Cheers,

Hi Dr.

Try decanting some white acrylic primer from one of Halfords maracas and spray through your airbrush at about 15psi.

when it's nice and dry, polish up to the desired sheen with Micromesh or a polishing stick..

Basically stop when you're happy with the level of shine.

Chris.

Hi Dr.

Try decanting some white acrylic primer from one of Halfords maracas and spray through your airbrush at about 15psi.

when it's nice and dry, polish up to the desired sheen with Micromesh or a polishing stick..

Basically stop when you're happy with the level of shine.

Chris.

Thanks for the tip.

I think I described the colour badly: it's overall white, but with a few logos and window decals. What about overcoating the decals? It'll be a Fly.Be scheme BTW.

Cheers.

I use Halfords White appliance gloss and probably because my sanding of the primers is none to good, I get a nice satin finish that looks great with Klear on top. See the Comet on the 'ready for inspection' forum.

I use Halfords White appliance gloss and probably because my sanding of the primers is none to good, I get a nice satin finish that looks great with Klear on top. See the Comet on the 'ready for inspection' forum.

The Comet looks great. I have used Halfords Appliance white on models before, but I've always made sure they are really glossy (my 1:144 A380 is a big model, so looks ok with high gloss).

Can Klear be left as a final finishing coat then? I could try a satin white as mentioned by the poster above, then a few coats of Klear until it looks about right?

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Hi

Having worked on the Flybe 146s for a number of years, the best finish i would say would be satin as they were not very shiny towards the end of their career.

When i did mine i used Halfords appliance white than Games Workshop Purity Seal for the varnish.

Antony

Thanks for that. Any chance of posting a picture of your model?

Did you not find the Appliance white ended up too thick on such a small model? Maybe I've overdone it a bit in the past...

Cheers,

Thanks for the tip.

I think I described the colour badly: it's overall white, but with a few logos and window decals. What about overcoating the decals? It'll be a Fly.Be scheme BTW.

Cheers.

Understood what you wanted however, with the application of a gloss overcoat you will obviously lose the semi gloss that you are trying to achieve.

You will have to go for a satin finish top coat, though this too can be polished up as required if it's too matt.

Chris.

Understood what you wanted however, with the application of a gloss overcoat you will obviously lose the semi gloss that you are trying to achieve.

You will have to go for a satin finish top coat, though this too can be polished up as required if it's too matt.

Chris.

I'm currently using Vallejo Air satin varnish, because Humbrol and Tamiya don't appear to do it. What acrylic satin do you use?

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm currently using Vallejo Air satin varnish, because Humbrol and Tamiya don't appear to do it. What acrylic satin do you use?

Thanks again for the advice.

Always had good results with Xtracolour Satin from Hannants, but your Vallejo Air satin varnish should be fine.

Leave it to harden for a couple of days before polishing though.

Chris.

Hi dr gn

As requested, here is a photo of my model

P1000433.jpg

I found 2 or 3 light coats of Appliance White worked well

Antony

Superb. Exactly the finish I'm looking for.

Did you find a neat way to mask the blue underbelly, or was it just 'freehand' masking?

Cheers,

I always leave Klear as the top coat on my models as I like the finish it gives. Because it is very thin, the finish is usualy dictated by the paint and finsh underneath. I use it mainly to hide scratches and minor imperfections as well as to seal the decals.

Hi dr gn

As requested, here is a photo of my model

P1000433.jpg

I found 2 or 3 light coats of Appliance White worked well

Antony

Where did you get the textures from for this ?

I have an RJ85 in the stash and like this livery,

Cheers

Hi

dr_gn: The blue was masked with some Tamiya tape and brush painted on.

Woody37: Not sure what you mean about the textures, but if its the decals you mean, they come as standard in one of the Revell RJ85 kits ( The one with the Eurowings plane on the box top)

Cheers

Antony

Sorry, been doing some work on the flight simulator today, I did mean decals ...Doh !

Ok, thanks

So what about panel lines/preshading/weathering etc on this thing?

I've got some Promodeller dark and light washes, and have tried preshading lines on my previous two models.

What looks good/bad on a small model of a commercial aircraft such as this?

I've got photos from when I've flown in these aircraft, and panel lines and weathering is clearly evident, but how do you scale it so that it looks correct?

TBH i would only bother with the flaps and control surfaces. They get quite dirty on some of the shots I have. Same behind the wheel bays. I wouldnt bother withe the panel lines on the fuselage it may make them look wrong.

TBH i would only bother with the flaps and control surfaces. They get quite dirty on some of the shots I have. Same behind the wheel bays. I wouldnt bother withe the panel lines on the fuselage it may make them look wrong.

I agree. I'll do what you suggest.

Cheers.

Ive got alot of close up shots of the 146, and the panel lines are very faint so i feel that they would look wrong. I tend to sand down the lines on the kit a bit as they are a little big TBH.

Id be worried if i got on an airliner with big panel gaps!

I weather things all the time - I dont buy the arguement that says it cant be done due to scale effect...

if your building in 144 scale then do 144 scale weathering....

I use pencil quite a lot - there are plenty of pics of my stuff around now so go take a look

Ive got alot of close up shots of the 146, and the panel lines are very faint so i feel that they would look wrong. I tend to sand down the lines on the kit a bit as they are a little big TBH.

Id be worried if i got on an airliner with big panel gaps!

Here are a couple of pics: you can definitely see the longitudinal splice lines on the fuselage, and a fair amount of rivet detail too:

oxBn5r6F.jpg

RIcFhSgk.jpg