* Monogram Huey Hog.

OK, Pics!!

first off the required box shot

box.jpg

first off the rear wall has a curtain which I needed to remove as ours did not have curtains , just the padding, dont kniow why you need a curtain, its not like theres a window behind :analintruder:

anyway, the kit wall was sanded until the curtain was gone and then a piece of plastic dinner plate was glued on to replicate the padding. Many Thanks to Martin Hale for this tip

rearwallbefore.jpg

rearwall1.jpg

next the floor, theres a bloody great ammo box moulded in that needs to go

floorbefore.jpg

a blanking plate from card was glued in from the underside then the box cut away, and sanded down to the level of the floor

floor1.jpg

I then started to build up the pillars from plastic card to reflect pics I have of real hueys

pillar1.jpg

pillar2.jpg

and thats pretty much where I am at the moment!

Regards

Bruce

When I got that kit some years ago and began looking around for the right sort of finish, I butted up against these points:

1. The kit is an amalgam of "B" and "C" variants - while the Marines had their own, the "E" model.

2. It requires a conversion set from Cobra Company to properly depict the "Charlie" model Huey, which the kit most resembles.

3. The armament is Army issue. The nose grenade launcher, nose antennas and quad gun sponsons are not seen in Marine Corps fotos of the period.

So the kit, minus the decals, most resembles an Army gun boat. If you wish to use the kit, in toto, adding different markings for an Army air assault bird is a good choice.

If you want to retain the kit markings, well... the 'Corps were not generally known for heavy assault choppers. They did cobble up field modified gun mounts and door guns, but they were rather unique contructs - not like the factory mounts in the kit. The grenade launcher is pretty much out, altogether. Ditto the nose mounted wire antennas.

From what I recall, when built using the kit markings OOB, you would do better to dump the armament and nose antennas, depicting the Monogram kit as a basic, unarmed Marine Corp 'slick.'

But double check me on that - my memory has been know to become clouded over time...

• 2 weeks later...

got some more done on the Huey. Dahut, thanks for your informative post. I am, however doing a Royal Australian Navy and Air Force helicopter, so no armament

first off the interior with some paint on

rearwall2.jpg

the dark circles are tie down plates made from punched discs of plasticard painted gunmetal. I have also added two extra legs for the bench seat that monogram missed

next the roof

roof.jpg

with a lining from plastic plate as per the back wall. Monogram also forgot the overhead console so made this up from evergreen strip and a decal from an old reheat set. I am just going for basic shapes here rather than exact miniatures as very little of it will be able to be seen!

My scratchbuilt seat frame, with thinned cushion from an ESCI Huey

seat.jpg

and lastly one of the fuselage sides.

huey-holes.jpg

I have opened up holes for the underside boom vent. ( I have a horrible feeling I have put it too far back) and the cargo hook

Thanks for looking

Bruce

OK a wee bit more

as thy come in the kit, the pilots side windows are ill fitting and joined together by that plate which protrudes onto the actual windows

window1.jpg

so I thought I would replace them, from clear sheet, which as it turns out, is not actually that clear :mellow: several frustrating hours later.......................

window2.jpg

and finally boxed in the hell hole and added an I beam to attach the hook to,

hellhole.jpg

(I know its crooked,but its not glued yet!!)

Thanks for looking

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, sure Dave, 9 part article coming up, we can discuss it whilst doing the kokoda challenge!!

This is why this thing is taking me so long, the fit is less than stellar!!

underneath1.jpg

everything I look at is wrong in some small detail, heres the roof of the actual machine

realroof.jpg

and the model part

roofrepairs1.jpg

notice anything? answers on a postcard please, so at the moment I am correcting the roof, this involves removing all the detail, rescribing and adding new vents and strake. God knows why, I do this yet am quite happy to build the hasegawa spitfire OOB with its short fuselage :whistle:

anyways, elsewhere, I have chopped up an old fujimi UH-1B to provide the early style intake fitted to RAN Hueys

intake1.jpg

these intakes where changed to a later style "grilled" intake after several crashes where the engine ingested grass and other FOD. You can see I have also added scratched roof vents properly positioned

Regards

Bruce

... so at the moment I am correcting the roof, this involves removing all the detail, rescribing and adding new vents and strake. God knows why, I do this yet am quite happy to build the hasegawa spitfire OOB with its short fuselage :whistle:

Bruce, you , like me are a suck for punishment and can't let a good challenge go (I WILL finish my C-17 :))

Nice work on the mods, I am watching this from all over the place :D

• 3 weeks later...

Gday Again, work continues on the hueys at a glacial pace, problem is , I keep finding things to correct, case in point being the wipers. As moulded they seem to be attached to the windscreen which is obviously incorrect!!

wipers1.jpg

so after some umming and arrghhring, they were sanded off to be replaced at a later date by slivers of rod properly attached above the windscreen

wipers2.jpg

next stoppage was the underside where I kept sanding through the plastic it was that thin in places :huh: so finally I faced the oil cooler with some plastic card. THAT seemed to solve the problem!!

bottom1.jpg

Anyway.....on "the accomplished list" is the roof now with correctly placed scratchbuilt vents, new strake and vac formed hoist motor cover, smash moulded over a milliput and resin former

roofrepairs2.jpg

I really am hoping to have it finished in time, the airframe is together, just lots of little things to do

Regards

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry fellas, pulling out, will never have them done by March 6th. I have just ordered some Archer rivets to replace lost detail, so that has blown the timetable. Have PM ed Erwin to move my thread to In Progress as its still an ongoing build. Good Luck to everyone else

Bruce

I buit the Bell UH-1 "Huey Hog" 1/48, from what i can see mine is exactly the same kit, just reboxed, with different markings.

I had the exact same problem as you did with parts not fitting well! i feel for you! :worthy:

This is why this thing is taking me so long, the fit is less than stellar!!

underneath1.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

• 1 month later...

Well, the RAAF one seems to have overtaken my RAN build . This is the latest on her, painted and decalling has started

huey6.jpg

huey5.jpg

Not happy with how the yellow warning band decal is (not) settling down, may yet tear it off and paint if I can find a red arrow and letters in the spares box