Davidstow Airfield & Cornwall at War Museum

canberraman

RAF Davidstow Moor was an airbase at Davidstow near Camelford in Cornwall, from late 1942 until 1945. Despite a few periods of intense activity, it was however, one of Coastal Command's least used airfields.

The land was acquired in 1941 and a three-runway airfield with extensive dispersal area was constructed in the first half of 1942. Despite the moorland conditions construction was reasonably straightforward, although it did involve the removal of various field boundaries the closure of minor roads and some drainage work.

During its brief military career the airfield played host to the following sqns: 53 Sqn (Lockheed Hudson); 144 Sqn (Bristol Beaufighter); 206 Sqn (B-17, B-24); 269 Sqn (Lockheed Hudson, Supermarine Walrus); 281 Sqn det (Vickers Warwick); 282 Sqn (Vickers Warwick); 304 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 524 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 547 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 612 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 1603 Flt (Hawker Henley). The base also hosted 404 Sqn RCAF from May - Sep 44, equipped with Bristol Beaufighters.

The airfield was closed in December 1945 to become a motor racing circuit, known as Davidstow Circuit. In the early 1950s three Formula One races were held there (the Cornwall MRC Formula 1 Races) including the first success for the Lotus marque.

The main control tower is clearly visible on the airfield, which also currently serves to allow microlight flying (whilst dodging the grazing sheep and ponies!). More recently a Davistow Airfield and Cornwall at War Museum has been set up to commemorate the work and people of RAF Davidstow Moor. It is located next to a creamery where Davidstow and Cathedral City cheeses are produced, and is open during the summer months. Although the museum has started off quite small, it has ambitions to grow as a popular tourist attraction. It's star exhibit is the ex Flambards Gannet ECM.6 XG831/396 which arrived from Helston in 2008. The museum also has an interesting collection of military vehicles and drones and unmanned targets. In Dec 09 it also received a Vampire cockpit. Pictured below are some photos obtained when I visited in Aug 2009. Admission is just £4 for adults and I heartly recommend you look in when touring the West Country.

Two views of Fairey Gannet ECM.6 XG831/396 undergoing restoration.

canon567924.jpg

canon567925.jpg

Two of the 3 ex military Bedford RL fire tenders on display.

canon567923.jpg

Northrop Shelduck D1 XZ791 which was formerly maintained at RNAS Culdrose.

canon567926.jpg

Northrop Chukar D1 once displayed at RNAS Culdrose

canon567942.jpg

Northrop Chukar D2 ZG347 also ex RNAS Culdrose

canon567928.jpg

The 'mess hall' where you can stop off for reasonably priced snacks and a drink while perusing the many photos and historical records on display.

canon567934.jpg

A number of official records and momentoes from RAF St Mawgan were acquired prior to that base closoing as an active militray airfield.

canon567945.jpg

Hope these have been of interest.

Regards

Mark

I go to Cornwall three or four times a year to see my son at Culdrose.

I'll will have to try and stop by for a visit.

Thanks for the info.

RAF Davidstow Moor was an airbase at Davidstow near Camelford in Cornwall, from late 1942 until 1945. Despite a few periods of intense activity, it was however, one of Coastal Command's least used airfields.

The land was acquired in 1941 and a three-runway airfield with extensive dispersal area was constructed in the first half of 1942. Despite the moorland conditions construction was reasonably straightforward, although it did involve the removal of various field boundaries the closure of minor roads and some drainage work.

During its brief military career the airfield played host to the following sqns: 53 Sqn (Lockheed Hudson); 144 Sqn (Bristol Beaufighter); 206 Sqn (B-17, B-24); 269 Sqn (Lockheed Hudson, Supermarine Walrus); 281 Sqn det (Vickers Warwick); 282 Sqn (Vickers Warwick); 304 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 524 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 547 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 612 Sqn (Vickers Wellington); 1603 Flt (Hawker Henley). The base also hosted 404 Sqn RCAF from May - Sep 44, equipped with Bristol Beaufighters.

The airfield was closed in December 1945 to become a motor racing circuit, known as Davidstow Circuit. In the early 1950s three Formula One races were held there (the Cornwall MRC Formula 1 Races) including the first success for the Lotus marque.

The main control tower is clearly visible on the airfield, which also currently serves to allow microlight flying (whilst dodging the grazing sheep and ponies!). More recently a Davistow Airfield and Cornwall at War Museum has been set up to commemorate the work and people of RAF Davidstow Moor. It is located next to a creamery where Davidstow and Cathedral City cheeses are pr oduced, and is open during the summer months. Although the museum has started off quite small, it has ambitions to grow as a popular tourist attraction. It's star exhibit is the ex Flambards Gannet ECM.6 XG831/396 which arrived from Helston in 2008. The museum also has an interesting collection of military vehicles and drones and unmanned targets. In Dec 09 it also received a Vampire cockpit. Pictured below are some photos obtained when I visited in Aug 2009. Admission is just £4 for adults and I heartly recommend you look in when touring the West Country.

Regards

Mark

When you visit, don't overlook the small but completely separate museum in the Nissen huts right by the road (they share the car park). As far as I can tell, it's run by one guy and a number of elderly ladies committed to keeping the memory of RAF Davidstow alive (and sitting in a Nissen hut on a moor waiting for vistors to come to what was generally accepted to be one of the most depressing airfilds in the British isles really does take commitment). It's essentially a small collection of 1940s memorabilia and artefacts (eg much of a Hercules engine and the remains of an RP) plus an inherited collection of 1/72 models. My expectations weren't high but I found it both the exhibits and the commitment of the volunteers quite moving and stayed longer than I expected. It's free but donations are welcome.

PS The model collection is from an obviously prolific modeller from the 1960s/70s and has seen better days. It's more a nostalgia trip back to the heyday of Airfix Magazine - lots of conversions, etc - than a reflection of current SMW standards. Were I based in that neck of the woods, I might be tempted to help them with some more up-to-date, Davidstow-specific models.

Nick

Edited by Seahawk

I served in HM Royal Marines from the mid-60's to the end of the '80s and during that period I spent time on detachments to FAA sqns at Culdrose (Helston) and Heron (Yeovilton). During the detachments my team would prepare night landing sites ready for helicopters of 845, 846, and 848 Sqns. This required the laying of tactical lights (sometimes just red filtered right-angled torches) and an approach indicator at a 'simulated' Forward Operating Base or night LZ.

When we were in the UK (much of our time was spent on deployment around the world) we would use satellite airfields which were disused former airfields and Davidstowe was one of them; Merrifield (Ilminster) and Predanack (The Lizard) were others and are still used.

The reason for commenting on this is that models of FAA Wessex 5's and Seakings could be modelled and be depicted at Davidstowe as well as WW2 RAF aircraft.

Bootneck

A great place to visit! I learnt to drive there many years ago and managed not to collide with a single sheep. I'm not sure if they are still there but the 'Moorland Flying Club' is worth a visit for a stunning air experience flight in a microlight over the North Cornwall Coast.

From memory the museum contains some interesting photos taken during 1982 when Davidstow was used by Royal Navy Wessex, Sea King and RM Gazelles to prepare for operations in the Falklands.

When you visit, don't overlook the small but completely separate museum in the Nissen huts right by the road (they share the car park). As far as I can tell, it's run by one guy and a number of elderly ladies committed to keeping the memory of RAF Davidstow alive (and sitting in a Nissen hut on a moor waiting for vistors to come to what was generally accepted to be one of the most depressing airfilds in the British isles really does take commitment). It's essentially a small collection of 1940s memorabilia and artefacts (eg much of a Hercules engine and the remains of an RP) plus an inherited collection of 1/72 models. My expectations weren't high but I found it both the exhibits and the commitment of the volunteers quite moving and stayed longer than I expected. It's free but donations are welcome.

PS The model collection is from an obviously prolific modeller from the 1960s/70s and has seen better days. It's more a nostalgia trip back to the heyday of Airfix Magazine - lots of conversions, etc - than a reflection of current SMW standards. Were I based in that neck of the woods, I might be tempted to help them with some more up-to-date, Davidstow-specific models.

Nick

Should also have said that another reason to visit this museum is that they were selling off, at £2 IIRC, copies of Bill Young's very nice little monograph on the history of RAF Cleave, near Bude. Worth it even at full price (£5?) for the pics of Wallace and Henley target tugs.

Nick

Love the 1000lb bomb painted up as a live weapon, stating "display use only" !! Why do museums do that ?

smeds (ex RAF Bomb'ead)

I suspect that's a condition (imposed by the authority supplying the item) of having it. Personally I'd rather that than one in standard "inert" colours.

MrsC and I visited Davidstow this year, I have a photo of that Gannet that is almost identical to the one above - obviously the best spot to snap it from. Had quite a natter with a couple of the chaps on the gate, one of whom said he was a modeller. I don't think he appears on here, but if you are here sir, please consider identifying yourself.

A small but expanding museum, clearly aiming to expand, with one very tangible essential that was on display everywhere - enthusiasm.

Edited by MikeC