Airfix 1/48 Jaguar GR.1

Very nice old school Jag. 2 'dweeby' points about the fuel tank just for general knowledge; The centre-line fuel tank is fixed flush to the centreline ERU's (Ejector Release Unit's) and has a slightly drooped appearance. There are 3 ERU's on the centre-line pylon, the front and rear are for bombs and contain smaller explosive release cartridges. A little known fact is that the fins were generally removed from the tank fitted to the centre-line pylon if the guns were loaded (they usually were), as the brass casings would strike the fins when being ejected. Hope that's not too geeky!

Hi Tony, I thought you'd appreciate that! As for the panels on the tailcone, I looked at the reference photo I had, and the top panel was painted over black, but flaking. I assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that the panels were replacements that hadn't been painted, so as my airframe is depicted as pretty new, I left them black. Never mind, pobody's nerfect, eh?

Inshala, as far as the fuel tank goes I didn't know about the fins being removed - thanks for that, but it's too late to change them now. It's also slightly on the wonk on the pylon due to the fact that I'd already superglued the gear doors into position, and they fouled the rear of the tank slightly and prevented it from sitting flush. As I said, too late now, and it doesn't worry me unduly.

Everybody else - thanks for the comments!

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean,

Really excellent work and the ladder and squadron scheme add a lot to your finished project - excellent stuff! :speak_cool:

Hi - great looking Jaguar! :speak_cool:

I have the kit myself and some of the Paragon resin parts. As you have used the flaps & slats set yourself - I have one question:

The Paragon instructions for this set have an illustration of the outboard wing panels (underside) with the remark " This Area half way through wing only"

I must say I just do not get the meaning of this... :hypnotised::fraidnot: May be it's because I am no native english speaker....

Is there anything else to be done except simply cutting out the kit plastic to make the resin parts fit?

Thank you in advance,

Ingo

Hi Ingo, thanks for the comment.

As for the flaps, the part you remove on the top wing half is shorter than the part you remove on the lower wing half, leaving an overhang. As the outer tip of the wing is moulded in one piece, you need to remove the bottom half only, to continue that overhang. If you look in my Work In Progress thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...33457&st=60

in Post 66 you can see the finished wing, which might help to explain. Be careful though, as the panel lines on the top and bottom wing halves don't line up - I had to correct it with plastic card. I also added some pieces of plastic card to represent the tracks the flaps run on.

Hope that helps.

And thanks to everyone else who's commented since I last looked!

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Ingo, thanks for the comment.

As for the flaps, the part you remove on the top wing half is shorter than the part you remove on the lower wing half, leaving an overhang. As the outer tip of the wing is moulded in one piece, you need to remove the bottom half only, to continue that overhang. If you look in my Work In Progress thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...33457&st=60

in Post 66 you can see the finished wing, which might help to explain. Be careful though, as the panel lines on the top and bottom wing halves don't line up - I had to correct it with plastic card. I also added some pieces of plastic card to represent the tracks the flaps run on.

Hope that helps.

And thanks to everyone else who's commented since I last looked!

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean,

that helps indeed! :)

Thank you very much.

Ingo

Dean,

she looks absolutely gorgeous. I do like the early 54 Sqn markings although they were a bit before my time ay Coltishall. I think you should do a T2 now to go along side her in your display cabinet :whistle:

Brilliant work as always mate.

Regards

Andy :)