Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer

Irishgreek

I have been working on this Brick since early December. I am using the Neomega cockpit set and have purchased Paragon flaps and bulged tyres for it too.

I have been away from building for quite a while, but have been buying kits for the last couple years. Had planned to have the loft refinished as home office and hobby studio, but funds for building have slowed that down. So like a couple of you, I grabbed part of the dining room table. Crowded, but it's home!

Please let me know what you think. I have been trying to capture some of your knowledge and hope to bring it to this and many more kits in the future!

DSC_0068.jpg

Still have to add the ejection handles.

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

Working on seams, cut flaps

DSC_0155.jpg

Starting to look the part, a little lop-sided right now though!

edit: had to update the photobucket links.

Edited by Irishgreek

A couple pictures. Didn't get a lot done, the wifes chores won out. Just got the other wing tacked on and the tailplane completed.

DSC_0015.jpg

Yes, those are the Heritage intakes!

DSC_0016.jpg

Do you like the jerry-rigged leveling device??

DSC_0018.jpg

Isn't it great when the models actually start looking like the plane your building?

DSC_0021.jpg

edit: had to update the Photobucket links

Edited by Irishgreek

• 9 months later...

Been doing a bit of puttying and sanding... Okay a lot of puttying and sanding.

Having a bit of difficulty getting the intakes right. Also, gotten a bit of 'flatness' around the rear side joins from the cleanup. Any ideas on how to get the curves back?

Just a little update. Sprayed some Tamiya primer after adding the Resin intakes. Guess what, had some sanding to do! Here are a couple shots of where I stand so far. By the way, a question. In many of the recent Bucc builds I have seen, people have removed the covers of the wing-fold mechanism. Was that a common, sometimes or all thing done to the Buccs? Thanks.

Sorry for the fingers!

DSCN2127.jpg

Side shot

DSCN2129.jpg

Bottom

DSCN2128.jpg

The wing-fold covers were not removed on all Bucc's but it was a fairly common practice. The covers could be left off with no drag penalty and enabled quick inspection, many Bucc's flew with the front two missing and some had all the covers removed.

• 1 month later...

Okay. Have gotten a little more done, however, I ran into a bit of a tough spot. I wanted to pose the tail closed, but... See pictures...

DSCN2595.jpg

DSCN2596.jpg

DSCN2594.jpg

Recommendations? I am thinking plastic card to fill the large gaps. What about all the rivet detail? Should I worry about it, or not? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
My vote would go for some plastic card. As for the rivets i personaly consider them a little to much so i would not worry about them.

I did a little card and some putty. Sanded. Looks okay now. Glued on the dropped flaps...

The soft plastic around them 'tore'. UGH. I guess that is what I get for going for a 'snug' fit.

Will try to add a couple pictures later. Taking my daughter to her hockey game now...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, got the air brake on and sanded. Whew! Also got the dropped flaps on (however, not thrilled with the job I did and this really soft plastic, tears really easily!). I am officially out of my comfort zone. A couple update shots.

DSCN2884.jpg

DSCN2885.jpg

Trying to stay motivated...