Hobbyboss 1/48th Tornado

Just a quick note to say that I've found a bit on the model that seems to be OK. The wing seals not only look the part but fit ( well ok with a little sanding, but thats close enough on this model). Its a moment for Hats! and Hussars!

Seriously though chaps, the 'other' under fuselage pod - the FLIR just about fits where it should. BUT I think my fuselage widening either needs to be pushed forward a tad, or the pod is too big (or both). Also the bolt on IFR probe needs some work too. ( and I thinks its a bit oversize too) - see below.

Its funny but from some angles my model looks like a tadpole on steroids, from others it looks like a Tornado. My nagging suspicion is still that the front fuselage section may ALL be just a bit oversize.

On another positive note the UC gear builds up nicely, and despite the instructions woeful lack of instruction, you can figure out what goes where.

All the rescribing is now done, so I'll post some final pre-prime pics tomorrow morning.

Now Sean, and Bill, stop worrying Mental - he's very easily worried you know......

Jonners

Right, afternoon all! here are shots of the airframe pretty much all done and ready to prime. As you can see the wings have already had a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000.

You can see the IFR probe has needed to be altered to make it look "propah". With the reprofiled fuselage sides, the probe needs a bit of fettling and gentle bending to get it to conform to the new profile. Hopefully I've got the relationship between it, the fuselage, canopy and the intakes as right as I can too!

tornadopreprime1.jpg

TPP4.jpg

TPP3.jpg

TPP2.jpg

TPP5.jpg

Next step is to get on with the UC legs and wheels, and get them all done and dusted, while I wait for the paint and decals to arrive. To finish of the BOZ pod and generally get everything ready for paint.

Cheers

Jonners

Thought I'd add this photo here , as its sort of reference point on the HB Tornado,to explain just what the problem is with the HB forward fuselage.

You can see here both the Itaelri nose section (lower) and the HB (upper) Ignoring the inaccurate centre consol on the Italeri part, you can clearly see that the HB part has a "hump" along the sill where the canopy goes. Jonnors has corrected that rather well I think....along with the oversized pilots coaming! If you're wondering abut the Italeri part being longer, thats because HB have the section between the nose and the radome as separate.. The pats match up = more or less. There is a discrepancy where the nose gear bay is though - but only a slight one - don't know who's right here!!

The Italeri kit has, I believe the correct straight ledge...

IMG_2963.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Hi, Jonners! I am watching your build with huge interest! Thank you for your tips and walkthrough your corrections!

One thing I wanted to mention. Since your wings will be fixed in one position why in order to correct the shape of the wing gloves not to cut what is not visible inside on the wings in order to shape the gloves? Just the idea and I am sure you have considered it already.

Cheers

Sergey

Hi again Bill - that seems like another way round the sills problem, but you'd still end up sanding through the plastic if you were to try and round out the cross section in that area. Unless you did this before the halves were joined then line the inside of the cockpit walls with some thick card or filler.

Jonners

Pic's to follow, I may do this in a separate thread, so's to let Jonners get on with his build here...but I think I've managed a compromised solution to the cockpit sill situation.... inbetween the canopy hinge point and the windscreen area I made three small cuts. With a pair of pliers I gently bent the plastic inwards and down. I then used a file to straighten the inner part. The separated dsections were re-aligned, filed and sanded. Its not perfect, but its an improvement.....

Knowing your aversion to anything that doesnt have an RN markng on it, I'm assuming you will be wanting to do an F3 in AMI colours?

I'll be doing my old squadron, XXV(F) unless the kit is pants in which case I'll track down a Hasegawa 1:72.

Pic's to follow, I may do this in a separate thread, so's to let Jonners get on with his build here...but I think I've managed a compromised solution to the cockpit sill situation.... inbetween the canopy hinge point and the windscreen area I made three small cuts. With a pair of pliers I gently bent the plastic inwards and down. I then used a file to straighten the inner part. The separated dsections were re-aligned, filed and sanded. Its not perfect, but its an improvement.....

Hi Bill thats sounds like a good solution to me. I think pics are in order:) Piggy back on here if you like - that way its all in one thread, and I 'll amend the title to be a joint effort.

While I await my paint and decals , I have sprayed internal bays white and started to weather them. I'm toying with adding some more UC bay detail, but I dont want to get bogged down in a detailathon, so I may just use a few old tricks instead!

Good luck , and do PM me if you want to chat about stuff.

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

Righty Ho.

My La 5 for the Red Star Group Build is now pretty much finished, so today I have returned to the Tornado. Over the weekend I have masked out the canopy and white pre-painted UC and airbrake bays. I then sprayed on a coat of Mr Surface 1000 and attended to any seams and or gaps that I hadn't seen before. The a quick wet sand with a 2000 grade sanding pad, and another coat of Mr 1000 and we are ready for the paint.

I'll be finishing the Tornado as ZA601 AJ-G, 066 , 617 sqn 2008. Decals from the Xtradecal sheet. Scheme is overall Medium Sea Grey with dark camo grey wing tanks, and a replacement panel on the spine in the same colour

Keep tuned for more pics. We're back and we're painting!! :)

Jonners

Crickey!!!

Well done Jonners, not only have you found some very elegant fixes for this kit.

You have also stopped me wasting £50 on a kit that, in my hands, would end up looking like the webbed feet toothless incestual love child between a GR4 and an F3.

Great build!

Thought I'd add this photo here , as its sort of reference point on the HB Tornado,to explain just what the problem is with the HB forward fuselage.

You can see here both the Itaelri nose section (lower) and the HB (upper) Ignoring the inaccurate centre consol on the Italeri part, you can clearly see that the HB part has a "hump" along the sill where the canopy goes. Jonnors has corrected that rather well I think....along with the oversized pilots coaming! If you're wondering abut the Italeri part being longer, thats because HB have the section between the nose and the radome as separate.. The pats match up = more or less. There is a discrepancy where the nose gear bay is though - but only a slight one - don't know who's right here!!

IMG_2963.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to use a Italeri Tornado nose section and tail plane onto a HB kit? A ItalBoss or a Hobbyleri Tornado :undecided:

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Wouldn't it be easier to use a Italeri Tornado nose section and tail plane onto a HB kit? A ItalBoss or a Hobbyleri Tornado :undecided:

V.P.

Most certainly......Yes!

That would though defeat the object......my aim is/was to use as much of the kit as possible - the same it seems as Jonners here - on the basis that not everyone buying this kit would either have, or want to use half an Italeri/Revell kit. Keeping this post as "pinned" will act as a reference point for those that may wish to follow Jonners lead.

I wanted to see, like Jonners here, just what you need (or indeed what you can do to it) to do to this kit to attempt to end up with as accurate a Tornado as possible.

Most certainly......Yes!

That would though defeat the object......my aim is/was to use as much of the kit as possible - the same it seems as Jonners here - on the basis that not everyone buying this kit would either have, or want to use half an Italeri/Revell kit. Keeping this post as "pinned" will act as a reference point for those that may wish to follow Jonners lead.

I wanted to see, like Jonners here, just what you need (or indeed what you can do to it) to do to this kit to attempt to end up with as accurate a Tornado as possible.

IF I get the job I have my 2nd interview tommorow,I'm going to buy a HB Fin & combine it with the Ital nose from the one that came out badly from the acrylic paints & the aweful MA decals.

IF I get the job I have my 2nd interview tommorow,I'm going to buy a HB Fin & combine it with the Ital nose from the one that came out badly from the acrylic paints & the aweful MA decals.

Good luck with your 2nd interview Spike!!

Re the Ita/HB cross kit - Go for it! It'll be very interesting to see how that works out. I have to say this, but save the stupid errors on this kit, I really, really like it!! I spent the whole weekend "tonker-ing!!" about with it, and have corrected (to the best of my abilities) the cockpit sill and the intakes. The overall shape looks really good. I've still some way to go - but its going to be my choice of RAF Tornado's. The quality of moulding is vastly superior to the Italeri kit!

A few pointers on building an RAF machine from the box (in addition to thosepointers already noted in Jonners' post) ..... The kit has a clear plastic LRMTS pod, and a solid FLIR pod; both of these look good. You get two sets of inner pylons - standard with inner 'winder pylons, and a double - potential there for ALARM and 'winder. The outer pylons look a bit small - certainly compared to that provided in the Paragon set. The belly pylons are wrong for an RAF machine - I'm trying to fit a Paragon set - though I may attempt to correct the kits pylons with plastic card.

There are Six ALARM's. I'm planning on building mine in Granby colours - so will only need two - it appears the maximum carried were three - with all three belly stations filled. Early sorties had ALARMs on the inner wing pylons instead of the fuel tanks - these were re-sited under the belly. IF adding ALARMs to the belly pylons a small adaptor needs to be added.

The kit has a BOZ 107 - I'm not sure about the accuracy of this, though I have the Flightpath unit - and the're bith very similar.

The kit doesn't have a Skyshadow pod - which is a shame.

The standard tanks seem okay....

Early Tornado's delivered to the RAF - particularlly to 9 and 617 Sqn didn't have the LRMTS pod added. The TWCU aircraft included in the decal sheet (ZA404) should have the serial on the fuselage side and the lower side of the taileron's. You could build this without belly pylons but with empty wing pylons - but with the LRMTS pod.

I'm disappointed with the sloppy errors on this kit. Something this price should be better. Good news is that these problems are correctable. I'm lucky in that I have plenty of suitable stores/pylons etc - from Flightpath and Paragon - and the Italeri and Airfix kits (their Hindenburgers are the same overall shape as the solid resin units supplied in the Flightpath set - but are a lot lighter in weight. I'lll add some detail ribbing on their wiith some thin heat stretched sprue.

Just my thoughts - hope they are of some help......

IMG_2963.jpg

WOW!! That slope on the HB kit sure does exxagerate the instrument panel shroud (coaming)! It there fore complicates the cockpit as well as I would imagine the HB pit is too shallow now.

Cheer's Bill,

14 Months out of work is'nt funny.The jobs in an O2 call center,not what I want but it's a job.I've applied for my old job with VM,which I was made redundent from in 05.

If you need a Skyshadow,I have plenty spare.

WOW!! That slope on the HB kit sure does exxagerate the instrument panel shroud (coaming)! It there fore complicates the cockpit as well as I would imagine the HB pit is too shallow now.

It does Mike, and like Jonners I removed the coaming and thinned down the inner plastic and trimmed a slice off the instrument panel. It looks like it will be lower than supplied - when I get around to adding it .

You can't lower the cockpit tub that much - but that could help

It does Mike, and like Jonners I removed the coaming and thinned down the inner plastic and trimmed a slice off the instrument panel. It looks like it will be lower than supplied - when I get around to adding it .

You can't lower the cockpit tub that much - but that could help

hi Bill - one other thing to mention about the pit tub, is its relation to the nose gear bay. I applied my gear bay to 1 half of the fuselage side - only to find it was sitting at a slight angle when I joined the halves.

Theres a gapt twixt the cockpit tub bpttom and the top of the nose gear bay which could easily be bridged witht some plastic sheet. If I were doing this again I'd locate the bay on the bottom of the tub, rather than trusting it to fit flat using the lips on the fuselage halves

cheers

Jonners

hi Bill - one other thing to mention about the pit tub, is its relation to the nose gear bay. I applied my gear bay to 1 half of the fuselage side - only to find it was sitting at a slight angle when I joined the halves.

Theres a gapt twixt the cockpit tub bpttom and the top of the nose gear bay which could easily be bridged witht some plastic sheet. If I were doing this again I'd locate the bay on the bottom of the tub, rather than trusting it to fit flat using the lips on the fuselage halves

cheers

Jonners

Mine too! I've added the coaming and despite thining the inner surfaces and the I/P down - its still too high. I've therefore filed the upper plastic down until I've sanded through the plastic and will add a piece of thin plastic card to provide the uper surface of the coaming. I think that theres a bit of clearance between that and the inside of the windscreen!!!

Righty ho, after a slight break - I've done some painting.

All white areas are tamiya white, washed with cital washes. Main colours are Xtracrylix, withtheir darg MSG lightened until I was happy withthe look. I've started to weather the airframe using oil washes ( light grey Abteiling oil, mixed with varying amounts of lampblack) this is applied, wiped off and then work into on selectiv epanels to give some variation in tone.

Pics of the actual aircraft show it to be reasonable clean, but I want a little more dirt on mine, to show off one of the nice features of the HB kit - the panel lines. I think once I'm happy withthe wash work, I will seal it and then apply a very thin translucent coat of the lightened MSG - just to pull it all together and tone it down a tad.

Just got hold of some Aeroclub bang seats for the Tornado and they seam to fit the 'pit height wise - so I'm going to use these too. As the modified canopy doesnt quite fit neatly in close position, its going to be left open, so the bang seats will add a bit more detail to the area.

TP1.jpg

TP2.jpg

TP3.jpg

More soon

Jonners

• Like 1