Hobbyboss 1/48th Tornado

Amazing work so far Jon :worship:

Been thinking about the recess for the skyflash missile in the rear fuselage; was the F-3 rear fuselage not longer than the IDS to accommodate different engines? Might lever my bottom off this seat and go dig out some references to check exactly where the differences were between F-2 and F-3 if no-one beats me to it...

The kit has the correct brake down to allow the fighter version to share parts sprues.

The exhust area was extended on the F-3 to allow the longer engines to fit, the rear of the base of the tail fin was also reshaped.

The compleate rear jet pipe area on the kit is molded as a seperate part, so both versions can use the same centre fuselage peices.

The main modeling detail between the F-2 and F-3 aircraft is the exhust area and the wing pylons, the F-2 could only carry 2x AIM-9 launchers while the F-3 could carry 4x AIM-9. The other details are internal

If you study photo's of the base of the fin of fighter Tornado's, you can spot the F-2's by the IDS shaped tail base.

Why would you want to make an F-2 anyway?, only 229 OCU ever used them and their service life was quite short.

Can anyone find the link that showed the HB F-3 sprue shots?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Cheers Shaun, knew there was an extension to the forward fuselage just behind the cockpit but couldn't recall where the rear fuselage was stretched. Nice to know that's one less potential problem averted.

As for why anyone would build an F-2; Why not? Have a couple of Italeri F-3s in the stash and want to do something different with one. Did consider the prototype but dare say I'll make that decision at a later date.

I leave it open to you guys to see if you think its worth it. So let me know :)

Certainly looks worth it to me Jonners, that's a great improvement & brings the shape much more in line to what the pics of the real thing look like! It also looks like that will now improve the relationship of the upper intake & fuselage area?

I admire your perserverance - I think if this kit were mine it would now be skulking in its box way down at the bottom of the stash somewhere. If not actually in the bin....!!

Keep going!

Keef

Greg - I'm truly flattered - lets hope I can live up to the pinning!

Ok so the good news is, where I just about went thru the plastic by the navs station can be filled ( a skim if CA to provide a base then some My Dissolved putty to top it off. Given that we are now getting heavy snow in Oxford, and the the Mr DP needs to set up I am going to suspend work for the evening, but resume tomorrow once I know how much snow there is to clear.

In the meantime, all I can say is that if you have bought the HB kit, then don't despair.

As a model it fits very well, and the detail is very nicely executed.

What I'm trying to do here is pile in all the things that you CAN do, but don't have to do, to make it a reasonably accurate Tornado. Even if you just sand the stabs and the top of the fin, you will get a model of a Tornado.

Like all modelling projects the enjoyment you get from it is the most important: So if your enjoyment ( like mine) involves cutting everything up, modifying it and sticking it all back together - then this kit will give you hours of fun. If you just like building from the box - then this kit will do that just fine too, and give you a lovely model.

Right I think might paint the Ejection seats. Or perhaps get my La-5 for the Red Star group build back on track!

Cheers, and if you are snowed in, be warm, be safe and go snowballing!

Jonners

Why would you want to make an F-2 anyway?, only 229 OCU ever used them and their service life was quite short.

Can anyone find the link that showed the HB F-3 sprue shots?

Shaun.

Me!!! I would Shaun - and why wouldn't I? I mean, how many TSR2's were there? Or Kestrel's? or P1A's?...................and there was only one Hunter T12!! Since when does the numbers game make an aircraft model-worthy?

Anyway, there was some pic's of the F3 sprues on the initial posts on here - I think?

AND Jonners - managed to get my hands on one toay (thanks to Relish Models!) and I have to say I'm rather impressed!! You're build here will invaluable. I've compared the bits on this kit to the Italeri kit, and its apparent that the cockpit sill sides are very, very curved when the should be flat. Your canopy fix will help to hide that. I may remove the whole section and replace the sill (from the windscreen to the canopy actuation point) with flat plastic card. Funny thing the main undercarriage bays on both Italeri & HB kits bear a strking resemblance.....in that both have very basic detail....Resin anyone?

No I think you are right - having looked - the plastic on the inside of the wing glove box is quite thin - so sanding is out. You could add a shim of plastic card to the leading edge, then fill in and sand to sharpen up, but it would still be too thick, and would extend the LE forward too much onto the intake.

Looking at the parts I'm just wondering if you could simply Squeeze the forward edge together to narrow it - You would need to loose a bit at the front- as it would extend to far forward. Just a thought?

Looking at the parts I'm just wondering if you could simply Squeeze the forward edge together to narrow it - You would need to loose a bit at the front- as it would extend to far forward. Just a thought?

Hi Bill, just been looking at my model in light of this. As far as I can see the wing is a tight fit into the glove box area, so loosing some height in the box area ( ooh er!) would mean needing to do some thinning of the wing depth too. Its doable I think, but would be a whole new bag of fun.

With respect to the canopy: Thats a good idea for the sills. If you replaced them with very thick card, it would also let you sand it down to get the front fuselage curve too. Any ideas on possible finishes yet for yours?

Just a quick update too: Yesterdays snowfall allowed me to finish off the other wing flap, and do some sanding out of areas I've "had a go" at. the fuselage front and back are now joined and the joint has been filled etc. I had to do a little reworking on the intakes to get the angles right, but thats all OK now. Once I've re-scribed the front fuselage its primer time. More pics on Friday evening I think.

Sorry for the slackening in pace BTW - just the natural result of back to work, rather than Chrimbo holibobs. No slackening of resolve here, eh Darling ...Bahhhhhhhh. :)

PS one thing I didnt mention about the kit: the instructions are terrible - not well thought out in terms of showing how bits attach etc. Thought I should mention it.

Jonners

Me!!! I would Shaun - and why wouldn't I? I mean, how many TSR2's were there? Or Kestrel's? or P1A's?...................and there was only one Hunter T12!! Since when does the numbers game make an aircraft model-worthy?

Anyway, there was some pic's of the F3 sprues on the initial posts on here - I think?

I was only pointing out that Hobby Boss have made the effort to produce the correct rear fuselage for the F-3's extended exhust area. You could make an F2 but you will need the exhust/bucket area from an IDS kit.

The initial link to the sprues are now dead.

Shaun.

I was only pointing out that Hobby Boss have made the effort to produce the correct rear fuselage for the F-3's extended exhust area. You could make an F2 but you will need the exhust/bucket area from an IDS kit.

Shaun.

But you specifically asked "Why would you want to make an F-2 anyway?, only 229 OCU ever used them and their service life was quite short."

I answered your question - with a reason why! That was all......

Hi Bill, just been looking at my model in light of this. As far as I can see the wing is a tight fit into the glove box area, so loosing some height in the box area ( ooh er!) would mean needing to do some thinning of the wing depth too. Its doable I think, but would be a whole new bag of fun.

With respect to the canopy: Thats a good idea for the sills. If you replaced them with very thick card, it would also let you sand it down to get the front fuselage curve too. Any ideas on possible finishes yet for yours?

Jonners

Yes I know what you mean - had a look at the offending parts!!! Maybe the lower part of the glove box needs moving up....interesting comparing the HB parts to those on the old Italeri kit - Radomes are virtually identical as well!!!

Regarding the sill's...I'm now thinking about removing the sill, lose a wedge on the fuselage wall to make a straight line between canopy rear and hinge point, bend the kits sill into a straight section and re-glue.........

Edited by Bill Clark

I'd like to do all the fixes that you have pointed out, they are generally failry easy fixes. But I have one question in regards to the canopy, would the Italeri canopy fit?

I'd like to do all the fixes that you have pointed out, they are generally failry easy fixes. But I have one question in regards to the canopy, would the Italeri canopy fit?

Nope,tried it. :fraidnot:

It's too wide at the rear and too short, I though this idea would be a quick fix myself.

Yes I know what you mean - had a look at the offending parts!!! Maybe the lower part of the glove box needs moving up....interesting comparing the HB parts to those on the old Italeri kit - Radomes are virtually identical as well!!!

Regarding the sill's...I'm now thinking about removing the sill, lose a wedge on the fuselage wall to make a straight line between canopy rear and hinge point, bend the kits sill into a straight section and re-glue.........

Hi again Bill - that seems like another way round the sills problem, but you'd still end up sanding through the plastic if you were to try and round out the cross section in that area. Unless you did this before the halves were joined then line the inside of the cockpit walls with some thick card or filler.

BTW while I think about it. Check out the angle of the middle cockpit bulkhead in relation to where the pilots seat fits and its proximity to the nav's instrument coaming. it seams to me that their will be a large gap between the 2, which doesn't seem quite right. But I must admit I could be wrong on this, as i didnt really think to check it before I stuck it all together. Its only now I am starting to think its not quite right.

Jonners

Tomorrow is rescribing and priming day, plus I have a nifty idea to make the intake covers....

Hi again Bill - that seems like another way round the sills problem, but you'd still end up sanding through the plastic if you were to try and round out the cross section in that area. Unless you did this before the halves were joined then line the inside of the cockpit walls with some thick card or filler.

BTW while I think about it. Check out the angle of the middle cockpit bulkhead in relation to where the pilots seat fits and its proximity to the nav's instrument coaming. it seams to me that their will be a large gap between the 2, which doesn't seem quite right. But I must admit I could be wrong on this, as i didnt really think to check it before I stuck it all together. Its only now I am starting to think its not quite right.

Jonners

Tomorrow is rescribing and priming day, plus I have a nifty idea to make the intake covers....

The's actually no bulkhead between the two cockpits (sorry,shoul've mentioned it earlier....)

Jonners

I'm thinking of using the Italeri nose section - but thats cheating!!!

Yes some square plastic rod would be needed for the inside of the sills...I may have a go later..

Incidentally, dug out a load of Paragon and Flightpath stores - these include the correct lower fuselage pylons, and some heavy resin Hindenburgers. As the kit has a full compliment of SIX

(Two lots of three Spike!) Alarms, and I have resin SkyPod and BOZ107 I'm now think of doing mine as ALARM BELLE. Give me an excuse to build one of my Airfix Buccaneer's before the Trumpy?HB one is issued!!

I'll post pic's later of the Italeri parts and how they compare to the HB parts, and Neil's Paragon bits.

Despite my forebodings - I really like the HB kit. You trailblazing here Jonners is a boon!! I think my "solution" on the lower nose area wouldn't have worked, so I'll happily follow your lead here!!

No kit is unbuildable!! Some are just trickier than others!! The Craic is in the Challenge!!!

Keep it up!!

I'm thinking of using the Italeri nose section - but thats cheating!!!

Yes some square plastic rod would be needed for the inside of the sills...I may have a go later..

Incidentally, dug out a load of Paragon and Flightpath stores - these include the correct lower fuselage pylons, and some heavy resin Hindenburgers. As the kit has a full compliment of SIX

(Two lots of three Spike!) Alarms, and I have resin SkyPod and BOZ107 I'm now think of doing mine as ALARM BELLE. Give me an excuse to build one of my Airfix Buccaneer's before the Trumpy?HB one is issued!!

I'll post pic's later of the Italeri parts and how they compare to the HB parts, and Neil's Paragon bits.

Despite my forebodings - I really like the HB kit. You trailblazing here Jonners is a boon!! I think my "solution" on the lower nose area wouldn't have worked, so I'll happily follow your lead here!!

No kit is unbuildable!! Some are just trickier than others!! The Craic is in the Challenge!!!

Keep it up!!

Yes Bill....I do know that 2x3=6...No need to be cheeky or I'll send Mental round to 'see' you,kay?....

Just a quick update too: Yesterdays snowfall allowed me to finish off the other wing flap, and do some sanding out of areas I've "had a go" at. the fuselage front and back are now joined and the joint has been filled etc. I had to do a little reworking on the intakes to get the angles right, but thats all OK now. Once I've re-scribed the front fuselage its primer time. More pics on Friday evening I think.

Sorry for the slackening in pace BTW - just the natural result of back to work, rather than Chrimbo holibobs. No slackening of resolve here, eh Darling ...Bahhhhhhhh. :)

PS one thing I didnt mention about the kit: the instructions are terrible - not well thought out in terms of showing how bits attach etc. Thought I should mention it.

Jonners

it may be totally irrational but I hate"crimbo"

Yes Bill....I do know that 2x3=6...No need to be cheeky or I'll send Mental round to 'see' you,kay?....

No - wasn't being cheeky - honest!! PLEASE NOT MENTAL - ANYTHING BUT THAT!!

Its just that I remenber you saying that the kit only had three - which was on one sprue and there were two sprues..not one......which was a nice surprise when I opened the box!

No - wasn't being cheeky - honest!! PLEASE NOT MENTAL - ANYTHING BUT THAT!!

Its just that I remenber you saying that the kit only had three - which was on one sprue and there were two sprues..not one......which was a nice surprise when I opened the box!

WHATS WRONG WITH ME_ KITTEN STRANGLER MAN!!!!???