The Sky (Type “S”) is the Limit - now with "Made in the UK" Humbrol 90

John

It's that "always" that's a bit of a niggle. As long as it has existed, perhaps.

Fair point, 'always' is a bit all encompassing. John above reckoned that 90 was introduced in 1978 and was a match for Sky then so maybe 'since it's introduction in 1978' would have been better. The implication is that it was never intended to match something else. I've no axe to grind here, I'm just intrigued.

I'm pretty sure that many moons ago, when I built the 1/24 Airfix Hurricane, that 90 was the colour call for the underside.

As an aside, I take my hat of to you who still have tinlets from the '70s. I'm pretty good at cleaning up and resealing mine and honestly don't lose too many to bad storage, I just use them up :)

Cheers

Steve

P

As an aside, I take my hat of to you who still have tinlets from the '70s. I'm pretty good at cleaning up and resealing mine and honestly don't lose too many to bad storage, I just use them up :)

Cheers

Steve

Probably just a bit sad!

Sky104_zps8lltdfaj.jpg

John

• Like 1

This surely implies that Humbrol 90 has always been the colour for Sky unless I'm missing something here.

Not generally known is that a GM/MPC/Palitoy issue of the 1/24 Spitfire advocated painting the cockpit 90, which doesn't match with 90 being Sky.

Perhaps I should also add that, when given access to panels removed from AR213, after its first-ever rebuild, we found that the interior colour was an exact match for the 90 colour chip supplied in Humbrol's "The Colour System" folder.

Edited by Edgar

Palitoy wouldn't have recommended a Humbrol paint colour - they were still using the Airfix paint codes, so it would probably have been M8 Duck Egg Blue or M16 Vellum. When Humbrol took over, they produced Airfix branded tinlets for a couple of years using the old codes, but included conversions with the kits - M8 was shown as having Humbrol 90 as its equivalent and M16 as Humbrol 23.

In that case it must be a Humbrol era instruction booklet. I don't have a Palitoy 1/24 scale Spitfire, but the first Palitoy kit from my collection to come to hand (the Bronco) calls for M2, M6, M13, M17, M22, M26 and G3 - not a Humbrol number in sight.

I thought I'd mentioned it before, but anyway. I have a few tins of the long-discontinued Humbrol No. 28 Sky, including the retail box. The number has since been reallocated, but I thought it might be of interest, even if it does muddy the waters even further!

Cheers,

Mark.

I thought I'd mentioned it before, but anyway. I have a few tins of the long-discontinued Humbrol No. 28 Sky, including the retail box. The number has since been reallocated, but I thought it might be of interest, even if it does muddy the waters even further!

Cheers,

Mark.

It woud certainly be interesting to see, at least from an academic standpoint. Are any of the tins opened, that you could brush out a sample from?

J

Reading this thread I was reminded that my six year old had tipped over my box of paint tins in the 'dangerous room' as we call it. So I went to pick them up with particular emphasis on sky type colours. I found seven grey band tins of various colours, including my only tin of 90. I can't believe that. I also found some Airfix, Compucolour, remember them? and Gloy paint. Truly a blast from the past.

Also I found Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue, 97 and what is clearly a Humbrol Authentic Duck Egg Blue in the really old style camo style tin. That has to be forty years old.

So a bit of brushing out is in order and a clear out I think.

Edited by noelh

I'm more than happy to brush out some swatches. I'll brush out a few other, more known representations too, for comparison.

Cheers,

Mark.

That would be extremely interesting. Not that we can nip out to the shops and buy a tin though...!

John

No, I appreciate that! :-) I thought it might be interesting for posterity, if nothing else. I have probably every iteration that Humbrol did of that strange, pale, yellowish, bluish green, probably as I prefer the older enamels to work with over their newer counterparts. I"m currently using the Gloy Authentics Sky, but will probably go with all WEM paints on the Airfix Beaufighter, just to remind myself what they're like.

Cheers,

Mark.

An example of the Gloy colour would be good too for completeness, if that's possible. It's a range I could never find locally and I only have one sample pot of Gloss Black.

John

Of course! I'd be happy to post the swatches to you, if that helps.

I'm not entirely sure how I ended up with so much Gloy stuff. I only had a couple of tins from back when they were around in the shops. I must have got them cheap off eBay or something! I'm still missing a few colours though, most notably RAF Dark Green.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course! I'd be happy to post the swatches to you, if that helps.

I'm not entirely sure how I ended up with so much Gloy stuff. I only had a couple of tins from back when they were around in the shops. I must have got them cheap off eBay or something! I'm still missing a few colours though, most notably RAF Dark Green.

Cheers,

Mark.

That would be extremely interesting, thanks.

John

• 10 months later...

An extremely ancient pot of 23 Duck Egg Blue (left) with a nearly-but-not-quite-so-ancient pot of 28 Sky:

23amp28_zpszntlxefc.jpg

28 against the RAFM chip:

Hu28_zpsth1j9rgo.jpg

Brushed out, it's still a good match. I'd use it. I wonder why Humbrol dropped their best match for Sky - replaced by the Authentic stuff perhaps?

John

• Like 1

• 5 years later...