DH Comet airliner wing detail

woody37

Hi guys,

Currently building an Airfic Comet and want to add some subtle detail to the engine nacelles. Got plenty of piccies available on Airliners.net showing the under surface, but haven't come accorss any showing over wing. Has anyone got any that I can reference from ?

Thanks

Neil

Thankyou Rich, they are great. As Chris mentioned, over engine detail doesn't have anything pronounced, but that undercarriage is somewhat different than the model.....gulp !

I have a wonderful picture of my son standing under the 707 engine that used to be at Cosford when he was three. How sad that it no longer exists. I hope that they don't have any more plans to "tidy" up.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Kev, they're greeeeeaaaat !

Also big thanks to Chris for lending me his Comet book and reference booklet.

Had a disaster yesterday with the inner wing painting. I sprayed Taiya silver on which reacted badly to something underneath. Had to do lots of sanding to remove the crap, but finally smothed (ish) out and give it a rub with 'Rub n Buff' which has brought it up pretty well. Should have the Klear on tomorrow ready for some piccies.

The decals from Ray at TwoSix for BEA Airtours are superb, very high quality.

Cheers

I'm sure you'll fix it....just remember engines arent plain silver....

each to their own but I really really dont like seeing plain silver paint used as a bare metal finish.

I'm sure you'll fix it....just remember engines arent plain silver....

each to their own but I really really dont like seeing plain silver paint used as a bare metal finish.

I'm with you on that. Some weathering will bring it to life. Brushed pastel and a bit of promodeller wash will do it !

My plan was to use silver as a base to rub some R&B on along with weathering, ended up freehand painting some silver on.

Edited by woody37

try scribing the panel lines as well, then running a very sharp pencil through them

We think alike. Just finished the detail. Combo of matt black painted details, rescribed panel lines, dry pastel brush ontop of Rub n Buff silver. Quite pleased with the finish after all the problems. Copied the aerials and overwing from your pictures and underwing detail from the reference book Chris (Stringbag) lent to me.

Hopefully will get the pictures up tomorrow along with the Cambrian 1-11 thats also just come off the production line.

727 next...... !!!

nope....cash only, in large amounts, in a plain brown envelope and passed over under the table at a motorway services....

• 1 month later...

The main issue with the upper wing is that the thickest section is too far forwards. You need to sand down the top of the wing and move the thickest bit back from 3/4" behind the leading edge to a point about 11/2" back. This will expose the outer face to the nacle and raise the engine relative to the wing.

The nacele is about the right shape, its the wing thats wrong.

Cheers

Colin W

I'm no expert but the cosford comet is not the same as the airfix version...the airfix kit is a comet 4B I think, the one at cosford is an earlier version,

which, even allowing for airfix's slip-ups, might explain differences. There are certainly differences between the comet 4 and the 4b and 4C and even bigger differences between those and earlier comets.

Like anything I guess, pic refs help