1:48 AMT ES-3A Shadow

timmah

Hi

With the Zero now out of the way and the B-1B Lancer moving forward I thought I should get this one underway also, it's going to be tight as I'm away over Christmas but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

PC230349.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Edited by timmah

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress

Splash of paint on the cockpit, the canopy is really dark so I didn't go overboard

PC250001.jpg

Preshade applied using a dark grey as I thought under the light top coat it would be too stark using black

P1030009.jpg

Top coat applied and the preshade has come out really well, the flash has taken some of effect away but I'm quite pleased with it

P1040011.jpg

Wheel wells painted white, when dry I'll give them a wash to "dirty" them up a bit

P1050012.jpg

More pics and progress soon

Regards

Tim.

Yes, there has been progress.............

Gloss coated, decaled, gloss coated and waiting till it dries well before applying a wash

P1060009.jpg

All the undercarraige and doors painted, washed and ready to attach.

P1060008.jpg

What's left to do....

I need to paint the engines and pods, attach them, do a bit more weathering perhaps(?) There's about a billion aeriels to attach as well

I fully intend to get this one finished, the B-1B might be tighter though.

Regards

Tim.

Well, today has been one of those days when I really should have stayed in bed, in fact it all started yesterday evening.

Whilst trying to get this and the B-1B Lancer finished in time I managed to knock over not 1 but 2 pots of open paints, fortunately no paint went anywhere near the models but I should have realised then that it was time to quit!

First thing this morning a completely cocked up the B-1B trying to paint Klear onto it before decaling, more of that in the other thread.

I placed the shadow on it's wheels for the first time last night and it turns out its a tail sitter, I wondered if I'd missed something in the instructions about adding some weight. Nothing there.

I had some old wheel weight's that I cut up and fed into the hole in the tail fin as with everything sealed up that was the only hole to the inside, I covered the bits of weight in white glue in a hope they would stick and then squeezed some white glue through the hole as well in the hope that it would all merge together and prevent the weights moving about when dry.

All I needed to do then was finish adding the aeriels, undercarraige doors and engine pods and take some pictures.

So I set about adding the remaining part whilst the model was turned over in a box to help protect the top aeriels...BIG MISTAKE!

After the doors had dried I turned the model over to find this.............

es3acaopy.jpg

The canopy first appeared to have fogged and I wondered if this was from adding the front undercarraige doors or engine pods but on closer inspection it was the extra white glue I had added.

WHAT AN IDIOT!!

My next bright idea was to dry out the white glue that should dry clear so I got hold of the girlfriend's new hairdryer and started to warm the canopy, it seemed to be working until the model started sinking towards the bench, the heat was melting the undercarraige!

So with yet another disaster to sort out I decided the only option was to remove the canopy

es3anocanopy.jpg

The inside of the canopy

es3acanopglue.jpg

With the canopy all cleaned up I re attached it and set about fixing the undercarraige, in order to protect the undercarraige and various aeriels the only thing I could find to support the models was my coffee cup

esside.jpg

So with everything sorted it was too late to take decent pictures but here is how it sit's tonight as the finished article

es3afrontwide.jpg

More photo's in the Gallery

Thanks for looking

Tim.