Rhodesian Air Force Hunter FGA.9

Guest Drewe

Revell 1/72nd kit. Gunze Mr Color laquers. Xtradecal decals. Revell matt varnish finish. Still waiting for news of some 230 gallon tanks. . . . Bill?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Out of interest this is the first Revell Hunter I built when it was released. Finikshed as a Shiny-Twelve aircraft used during the Buccaneer grounding to maintain pilot currency. I was never happy with the finish - I used Gunze matt varnish and for some reason I've yet to fathom decals always shine against Gunze matt finishes no matter how many coats you apply. She was just about ready for the scrap heap, but whilst building the FGA.9 I took the liberty of removing the canopy, re-masking the windscreen and shooting a coat of Revell matt varnish over it to see how it looked. Miles better is the answer and I'm as happy as I always wanted to be with the model now! Enjoy!

07.jpg

08.jpg

Hey that's spooky. I was only looking at an old edition of SAM yesterday from 1982 with one of these Rhodesian Hunters on the cover...

Just looked back at it and it's the same bloody aircraft - R1821

Great job by the way. One of the more unusual schemes that the Hunter wore!

Karl.

Great job by the way. One of the more unusual schemes that the Hunter wore!

Karl.

They are some great schemes aren't they? At some point I'll do a three tone one with the RAF roundel + Assegai, which is one of the coolest variations on an RAF roundel ever!

That's superb, my ex's dad was in the Rhodesian fleet air arm and if i was still with her i'd have gladly tried to do one of these for him, would make a great xmas present !

:smartass:

Erm! Rhodesia is in the middle of Africa, last time I was there. I can't say that I saw many aircraft carriers tied up in Sailsbury :hypnotised:

Cheers

Jeff

Revell 1/72nd kit. Gunze Mr Color laquers. Xtradecal decals. Revell matt varnish finish. Still waiting for news of some 230 gallon tanks. . . . Bill?

Did someone mention 230 gall tanks?

Now....its one thing knowing you've got them, its a totally 'nother thing knowing where they are! AND its a totally further 'nother thing finding the buggers!

BUT Find them I have, and they will be posted this very day!

Have you used up all of your QB sets?- it seems they have sold out at the big "H"!!!

Nice FGA9 BTW - very nice indeed!!

Did someone mention 230 gall tanks?

Now....its one thing knowing you've got them, its a totally 'nother thing knowing where they are! AND its a totally further 'nother thing finding the buggers!

BUT Find them I have, and they will be posted this very day!

Have you used up all of your QB sets?- it seems they have sold out at the big "H"!!!

Nice FGA9 BTW - very nice indeed!!

Cheers Bill. You need to send me a cash request too, I owe you for Sea Furies!