J-29 Saab Tunnan aka The Flying Barrel

Afternoon all,

For some reason I have a soft spot for this little fella so here is my effort.....

img2991oe9.jpg

img2988cu1.jpg

img2987pm7.jpg

img2990ww3.jpg

img2992oe8.jpg

Comments welcome.

Regards,

John.

img2991oe9.jpg

Hi John, nice job on what is an unusual but rather pleasant looking aircraft; the silver finish looks good.

Incidentally, if you should ever happen to watch an episode of the old Gerry Anderson series "Stingray", I'm sure they used these as the basis for Triton's attack subs...with a fishy tail, of course!

Cheers,

MIke

Yup, good job.

I've got the Neomega kit and it's a bit of a handful. Getting the fuselage quarts to fit is a bit of a chore (read: very difficult) due to different circumference and a slightly odd mold technique, where it's difficult to see how much you should sand.

Apart from that the kit looks beautiful in the box and will probably build up very nicely once you get past the initial sanding and fitting.

K

Very nice John. In digging out stuff on Nimrod, I have here the June 1984 issue of SAM and was looking at Mike Keeps lovely artwork(I think a separate "Mike Keep was a genius" thread coming on) and thinking just what a cool looking aeroplane the Tunnan was - but then come to think of it, almost every aircraft SAAB have ever made is pretty cool looking.

I've got the Airfix boxing in the loft and have always fancied doing the camo ones.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

What's the official line on the jet's heritage? Was it influenced at all by the Ta-183 Huckebein, or any other of the Luft '46 projects found after the war?

done2.jpg

WOW :o That is awesome Mike, A definate influence on the Tunnan.

Only difference is the tail, Wasn't the Tunnan supersonic?

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

WOW :o That is awesome Mike, A definate influence on the Tunnan.

Only difference is the tail, Wasn't the Tunnan supersonic?

John.

Thanks John... me first finished hairyplane after returning to the fold last Christmas :blush:

As far as I've heard, the Huck's tail was its weak point, and probably would have had to be redesigned to stop it from snapping off. Plus, in the interim, engine performance increased massively, so some major alterations would have been necessary. The Tunnan actually resembles another Luft46 project more closely, the designation of which escapes me at the moment. I'll have a look & see if I can come up with a pic ;)

Yup thats a Tunnan :clap2::lol: .

German design IMHO had a lot of influence over the whole industry after the war, I feel a what the Germans did for us type thread comming on!!.

German design IMHO had a lot of influence over the whole industry after the war, I feel a what the Germans did for us type thread comming on!!.

Oh god no! That's bound to cause a stir :S

Slight hijack of thread here, but on a similar vein on the "Right Stuff" bonus DVD Chuck Yeager claims that the all-moving tailplane on the Bell X-1 was the one thing that made the difference and something that the British had yet to figure.

Er... Miles M 52 Chuck?

Slight hijack of thread here, but on a similar vein on the "Right Stuff" bonus DVD Chuck Yeager claims that the all-moving tailplane on the Bell X-1 was the one thing that made the difference and something that the British had yet to figure.

Er... Miles M 52 Chuck?

Oh my yes, IIRC, didn't they promise to share information and research - they came to us to look at the British designs (M-52) and we were supposed to go and see how they were getting on but when they got what they wanted off us the classified it and ended the cooperation.

I don't think things were helped by one of our ministers who had gone to see the German works peenemunde, decided that all of the really high speed stuff was 'too dangerous' and cancelled the M-52

I remember seeing a program on TV but I can't remember what it was called - think it was Channel 4, Speed Machines this had lots on the M-52 and an interview with Cap. Eric Brown who would have been our Chuck Yeager.

I'd love to see that program again - I've got the 1/48 ARBA resin Miles M-52 in my stash to build one day, I just wish I had a few more pieces of reference material on it.

Cheers.

Karl.

Edited by Karl

Yup thats a Tunnan :clap2::lol: .

NONSENSE! Looks nothing like it man!...

:P:D