Spitfire Mk Vb Hasegawa 1/48

starflyer

Hi friends,

today I start something I never (never say never) expected from me......building a Sptifire.

Not because I don't like it, but only because usually I am involved by strong passion for Italian Aircraft and so normally I build that, but when I see this box laying down and forget in "kit warehouse" at home, I was imediately raped from it.

I consider the Spitfire the most elegant and beauty propeller airplane of WWII (especially the Vb version), so now I am here.....but sincerly I don't know enough about Spitfire so I start not only to build, but also to learn about.

This is the box and some aftermarket were inside..........

Spit__1000_.jpg

As you can see the photoetched set is dedicate to Tamiya kit, but I feel (hope) could be good also for Hase kit....we will discover togheter...

Spit__1001_.jpg

The kit provide both propeller (Rotol jablo and De Havilland), since I don't know in advance wich subjetc I will replicate (If you have suggestion please submit me) I start to build both props, it is always a fun....

Spit__1002_.jpg

The spin are quite good but I see in several pics of real Spit, that separation line and screw for fixing is missing.....so I scribe it...

Spit__1004_.jpg

The blade painting process....nothing special......

Spit__1028_.jpg

Spit__1029_.jpg

Spit__1032_.jpg

The color of spin I like is the Sky S and I found Humbrol H23 and Gunze H74.....but they don't seems similar......do you have suggestion wich is more correct?

Spit__1033_.jpg

Waiting for some answer I "jump" to wings.......very nice detail on Hasegawa kit but I would like to improve much as I can I "play" rivetting little bit....and sincerly I don't like Spitfire with open flaps (the beautiful shape seems corrupted by opened flaps) I decided to keep the flaps closed and move all the other surfaces just a little bit. This means cut also somewhere....

Spit__1005_.jpg

Spit__1006_.jpg

Spit__1007_.jpg

Spit__1008_.jpg

Another very simply improvement regarding munition exhaust, it appear more realistic if you see a real hole......

Spit__1009_.jpg

Spit__1010_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Nice start there Starflyer. As to the spinner colour, if it calls for Sky, of the two I would personally use the Gunze H74.

Nice detail touches you've done already, should be a good build for you I think. Watch out! Spitfires can be addictive! :thumbsup2:

First impact with photoetched is request before assembly the half wings......so check if we ae lucky by Eduard for Tamiya kit.....

YES.....it seems.....

Spit__1011_.jpg

Spit__1012_.jpg

Spit__1013_.jpg

Spit__1016_.jpg

Spit__1015_.jpg

I am little bit disappointed because Eduard don't put a grid for cooling radiator....so I just paint the kit part

Spit__1017_.jpg

Spit__1018_.jpg

Wings are assebled and just small points need putting....

Spit__1031_.jpg

Spit__1030_.jpg

Spit__1025_.jpg

Dryfit test to check.......hummmmm.......I need to solve this giunction.....but later, I already have idea how....

Spit__1026_.jpg

Spit__1027_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Spit__1006_.jpg

I am contacting the RSPB- as a member of that wonderful organisation i think it despicable that you make that poor little blackbird do all the work while you take the credit and all the glory for the excellent builds.

really Starflyer! shame on you :P

Edited by walrus

Spit__1006_.jpg

I am contacting the RSPB- as a member of that wonderful organisation i think it despicable that you make that poor little blackbird do all the work while you take the credit and all the glory for the excellent builds.

really Starflyer! shame on you :P

He (the blackbird) is my favorite unique slave....he he he he he :evil_laugh:

That's Calimero if I'm not mistaken, an Italian cartoon character I remember from TV in the 1970's (The black Bird, not the Spitfire!)

Exactly my friend,

the smal blackbird name is Calimero from the Italian toon you mentioned.......now you know, I am not so young :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I start to detailing interior of Spit, I started from the small door. The kit door is too much thick so I think is better to strachbuild new one from brass foil.

Spit__1037_-1.jpg

Spit__1038_-1.jpg

.........going on to improve surfaces details......

Spit__1035_.jpg

Spit__1036_.jpg

Meanwile I spry both spins to test Gunze and Humbrol Sky Type S colour......but I still more confused wich is more close to the real color. Can some one help me giving me orientation? The only reference I have are old photos (black and white) of spitfires available on Internet and it seems the squadron code and spin looks quite light, so I am oriented more on the Humbrol that is lighter than Gunze.....

Spit__1034_.jpg

Thanks for visiting this thread....

Edited by starflyer

Spit__1048_.jpg

Spit__1049_.jpg

Spit__1050_.jpg

Predshading in black/grey was first step in painting process.....

Spit__1055_.jpg

Following, all details painted one by one in approprioate color....

Spit__1063_.jpg

Spit__1064_.jpg

Spit__1065_.jpg

Oil washing.......

Spit__1067_.jpg

Spit__1069_.jpg

Instruments panel cames from photoetchd Eduar (for Tamyia kit)

Spit__1078_.jpg

Spit__1079_.jpg

Spit__1081_.jpg

Spit__1082_.jpg

That's all for now...bye

Edited by starflyer

• 2 weeks later...

...... the spitfire is running towards painting step. :frantic:

after the "cockpit job" finally I glue togheter fuselage............

Spit__1088_.jpg

and I improve rivets detailing as I did on the wings.....

Spit__1090_.jpg

Spit__1091_.jpg

In order to have a good joining between wings and fuselage I fix small sprue in a "strategic" points....

Spit__1092_.jpg

Spit__1093_.jpg

Spit__1094_.jpg

In fact I get a a better result.....

Spit__1095_.jpg

Also some littledetail need to be improved on the exterior....

Spit__1096_.jpg

Spit__1097_.jpg

Spit__1102_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Also on the canopy I decide to improve a small detail....the window....

Spit__1103_.jpg

Spit__1104_.jpg

Later I will add a small window by acetate.

The whole model get a primer coat (Gunze 1200), so I can check if there are imperfections on the surface....

Spit__1110_.jpg

Spit__1111_.jpg

Spit__1112_.jpg

Spit__1113_.jpg

Spit__1114_.jpg

Spit__1115_.jpg

Spit__1116_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Before to go on to paint, I follow in to a decision to follow as always my standard painting technique or try a new one hoping to improve the damage o paint as in the real one.

So I decided to follow the new one.....and spry a coat of Aluminimu Alclad on whole model as a base for camuflage paint.

Spit__1117_.jpg

Spit__1118_.jpg

Spit__1119_.jpg

Spit__1120_.jpg

Now I stop a little bit to arrange how to go on with camuflage and wich color sould I have to use....

Bye

Edited by starflyer

Brilliant :D Looking forward to another flawless Starflyer paint job! I really have no idea how you get such beautifully smooth finishes. Great scratchbuilt details too.

p.s. Did you finish those 2 Tornadoes? I don't remember seeing them completed :S

Edited by JakeEaton

Ciao,

till now you did a great job.

Are you going to use alclad for later chipping tecnique?

Yes, this my intention.....but I am new to chipping by this technique....I must be creative to go on.....in fact I am thinking lot how to make nice chipping before starting with camuflage.

Brilliant :D Looking forward to another flawless Starflyer paint job! I really have no idea how you get such beautifully smooth finishes. Great scratchbuilt details too.

p.s. Did you finish those 2 Tornadoes? I don't remember seeing them completed :S

Tornadoes are in stand by....time to time I switch to simply models to break the tension with tornadoes.....they are very difficult for me.....but very soon you will see progress about.

Thank you to every body for comments.

Thank you to all for nice comments

Finally I choose my subject.....it was an airplane of 303 Sqdn RF_M AR335. This airplane flown in the 303 Sqdn between 15-April-1942 and 5-Giune-1942. After that the airplane was in force to others Sqdn until the 24-Sept-1943 when crashed down with the pilot Vladislav Chochin in the 310 Sqdn.

20100129112638484.gif

I like to give my personal interpretation of wheatering in this subject, imagining the airplane at the end of service in the 303° Sqdn with an quite heavy weathered camuflage.

I read often that spitfires camuflage was sometimes with different shades of color (expecially the ocean grey) and lot of spitfires appear with the forward shade of camuflage much darker than in the back. That's why the constantly leakages of oil, dirty, and fluid from the engine keep dark the color of the paint. Instead the wings and back side of fuselage colours suffer a major weathering because sun, rain, and weather condition.......so I like to see my spitfire in this condition after few months of eavy use in fighting. Absolutely I don't want to say it was.....just my interpretation of this subject based upon a "Spit phots watching" until now. I hope you will like it.

So, let start to paint this "English Glory", starting with salt technique to have (I hope) a good rappresentation of chipping surface.

I put salt in excess where I like to see the chipped area, and when salt dry well I remove the excess that I don't like to have. I see lot fo photos to understand well where Spitfires camuflage was damaged and chipped and it was interesting and helpfull.

Spit__1123_.jpg

Spit__1124_.jpg

Spit__1125_.jpg

Spit__1126_.jpg

In the next phas I apply an heavy preshading that help me for the weathered simulation........

Spit__1127_.jpg

Spit__1128_.jpg

Spit__1129_.jpg

For this preshading I use Gunze black and blue (undersurfaces)

Edited by starflyer

The first painting phase of surfaces......

1st coat

Spit__1131_.jpg

2nd coat

Spit__1132_.jpg

3rd coat

Spit__1133_.jpg

4th step lightening with white the base color with random spots.

Spit__1134_.jpg

Now I wait paint will be dry well.

I use Xtracolor Fs 36270 and lightened by white.

Edited by starflyer