A Kittyhawk III question

Dustyjack

Hi

can anyone tell me please if the profile below is right for the Kittyhawk III FR474 and I can use the 1/32 Hasegawa P-40K kit or was it a long tailed P-40L.

Thanks for read this.

Jack

profile_112sqn_09.gif

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the profile, but if it is right, then I think you should be using the P-40K/M. A P-40L would be a Kittyhawk Mk.IIA in English money.

Hi

can anyone tell me please if the profile below is right for the Kittyhawk III FR474 and I can use the 1/32 Hasegawa P-40K kit or was it a long tailed P-40L.

Thanks for read this.

Jack

profile_112sqn_09.gif

If the profile is correct then it is an early P-40K (P-40K-1 or P-40K-5). These are SHORT tailed aircraft with the tail fillet. You need a dedicated P-40K kit --OR-- a P-40E with an aftermarket tail conversion.

If you go the P-40M route you will have to shorten the tail.

The P-40L equates to a Kittyhawk Mk II (Merlin engine) which is a different animal altogether.

HTH

JS

Many thanks.

I somehow managed to miss the fact that there was a second page to the Imps article!

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for your help. I have the P-40K kit already so that part isn't a problem and yes Steve your right as to where I got the profile from, all I have to do now is get Christmas out of the way and I can start building.

Many thanks

Jack

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for your help. I have the P-40K kit already so that part isn't a problem and yes Steve your right as to where I got the profile from, all I have to do now is get Christmas out of the way and I can start building.

Many thanks

Jack

Hi Jack ,

The Markings and serial are correct BUT you need a long fuselage variant for this A/C

Long Fuselage K10/15 serials started from FR414. P40L Kittyhawk IIA serials were FS400-499

Disregard any other info you may read about there being a batch of OF RAF P40L being designated Kittyhawk MKIII.

This is an error which has been compounded by lack of original research by some Authors.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady

Hi Terry

That would figure and the other scheme I fancied was DB-H, EV412 but now I've learnt that its a Model E and not a Model K, I'm not having much luck with a colour scheme for this bird, I'll have to keep digging.

Jack

Edited by Dustyjack

Hi Terry

That would figure and the other scheme I fancied was DB-H, EV412 but now I've learnt that its a Model E and not a Model K, I'm not having much luck with a colour scheme for this bird, I'll have to keep digging.

Jack

3 Sqn RAAF used Kittyhawk IIIs. A question on Aussie Modeller International may get some schemes.

Hi Terry

Jack

Hi Jack,

DB-H EV421 of 2 SAAF was indeed a Kittyhawk IA , but as it was a late model E it looked like an P40K -1/5. Desert camo as well so you can certainly do that A/C. The late Model P40E / KittyhawkIA was essentially a K-I airframe with an P40E engine.

Serials commenced at EV315 and ( with gaps) Finished at EV431

PM me and I'll send you an interesting photo.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

• 8 years later...