Hobbyboss Tornado critique.

tarlucan

No, I haven't got one yet.

But I thought we need a thread dedicated to those who want to critique the kit with a few ground rules:

1. If you're just happy there's a new 1/48 kit that "looks like a Tornado", please stay away.

2. If you just don't think Hobbyboss can make a decent kit, please stay away.

3. If you want to discuss the F-111, please stay away.

Otherwise all micrometers, scale plans, reference materials and personal knowledge ( even from ex-armourers!) is welcome.

Edited by tarlucan

But I thought we need a thread dedicated to those who want to critique the kit with a few ground rules:

1. If you're just happy there's a new 1/48 kit that "looks like a Tornado", please stay away.

2. If you just don't think Trumpeter (for it is they!) can make a decent kit, please stay away.

Otherwise all micrometers, scale plans, reference materials and personal knowledge ( even from ex-armourers!) is welcome.

I'll second that. We need a proper critique of the kit without any "personal" observations. Just the facts. Then people can decide whether they wish to buy the kit and whether they wish to correct it.

Andy

So now were're making up rules on how to respond to open post???

Has anyone got hold of one yet?

Apart from the tailplanes, it seems you can't actually have the thrust reverse buckets fully closed, only half closed (which would make them pointless).

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how difficult it would be to fit them closed - how hard is that going to be? Surely nothing that some files, wet n'dry and some dry fitting couldn't sort out.....

Mike- you are missing the point here. What hte op means is that he is wanting a totally undiluted HobbyBoss Tornado thread. And I agree.

Seems rather exclusive and not a way to start a discussion on a particular kit by eliminating certain "perceived" points of view, right off the bat.

Mike V

Sierra Hotel Models

Edited by Mike V

Mike

I am just trying to prevent the thread from descending into a pointless slanging match and instead promote a healthy debate to decide whether Hobbyboss actually did a good job or not.

Spike

Maybe I should have included:

4. No ex-armourer jokes!

Mike

I am just trying to prevent the thread from descending into a pointless slanging match and instead promote a healthy debate to decide whether Hobbyboss actually did a good job or not.

And a good sentiment at that. There are some hugely knowledgeable people in this thread, so lets keep it focused on the kit in question :)

Seems rather exclusive and not a way to start a discussion on a particular kit by eliminating certain "perceived" points of view, right off the bat.

Mike V

Sierra Hotel Models

I do not see it like that. I see the o.p. a asking if a thread could be engaged that looks purely (and solely) at the merits (or otherwise) of the aforementioned kit. reason? Well, I for one would really love to buy one of these- but as money is excruciatingly tight, and I have seen far too many screw ups from these new players, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE unless someone can convince me it's weak points are minor ,and can easily be worked around, to create a finished model that is a marked improvement over what is already out there- I see absolutely no harm in anyone asking for a thread to discuss this, and only this- surely...... :undecided:

Edited by Mentalguru

Interesting; the first post was a bit of a plea to keep the thread on topic and not dive off into tangents etc and to keep the discussion on the HobbyBoss Tornado. I notice that after 17 posts no-one has actually started talking about the kit in question! Perhaps someone ought to start a new thread?

Oops, make that 18 posts! :doh:

Edited by Haggis

I am just trying to prevent the thread from descending into a pointless slanging match.

And you've done a fine job :speak_cool:

Well, I for one would really love to buy one of these- but as money is excruciatingly tight, and I have seen far too many screw ups from these new players, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE unless someone can convince me it's weak points are minor ,and can easily be worked around, to create a finished model that is a marked improvement over what is already out there

There's been no online reviews yet and not even so much as a built up test shot. So against my better judgement I ordered one this morning, should be here by the weekend, seems it's the only way I'm gonna find out what it's really like...if it turns out to be cack I'll rehome it via ebay.

I've got all my Tornado refs out and I did think of taking a few pics and popping together some thought's but given that I lean towards ground rule number 2...

...I guess I shall have to stay away. :P Edited by Gary C

I do not see it like that. I see the o.p. a asking if a thread could be engaged that looks purely (and solely) at the merits (or otherwise) of the aforementioned kit. reason? Well, I for one would really love to buy one of these- but as money is excruciatingly tight, and I have seen far too many screw ups from these new players, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE unless someone can convince me it's weak points are minor ,and can easily be worked around, to create a finished model that is a marked improvement over what is already out there- I see absolutely no harm in anyone asking for a thread to discuss this, and only this- surely...... :undecided:

Well, I'm sure you don't, but it is what it is. I was merely making an observation, which I would think wouldn't be a issue. I guess anyone can make their own "rules of engagement" per post, else if that were the Mod's approach, that would be the epitome of micromanaging... ;)

Mike V