WW I Group Build

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just starting out on my Roden 1/48 SE5a so I guess I should join in the fun. How do these things work? Are there rules or anything? Do I get told off or firmly disciplined if I can't finish within the GB schedule?

I'm just starting out on my Roden 1/48 SE5a so I guess I should join in the fun. How do these things work? Are there rules or anything? Do I get told off or firmly disciplined if I can't finish within the GB schedule?

Hi. Welcome to the Trenches.

Ironically, I was actually going to post something on those lines tonight - contacted Ollie the other moderator last night to lay down some broad details so hopefully this will answer your question, albeit in a manner which requires your input, and the inputs of the others who intend to join the Group Build.

This GB starts shortly, and will encompass any legitimate subject which is depicted in the timeframe of World War One. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Military subject, just a subject depicted within the timeframe subsequent to August 4 1914.

This particular posting is to garner opinions and agreed guidelines. It's primarily for fun, so I don't see a good reason for being dogmatic about it, I'd rather include people, than exclude them. So, for a start, here's my personal opinions, and we'll see what other potential builders think.

The First World War starts in August 1914. However, the end of hostilities (in my opinion) can be argued as continuing beyond November 11 1918 due to the period of Conflict in Russia which ended somewhat after this. Just for inclusion of this specific period of Conflict (which, fairly, is unlikely to attract a Group Build of its own..) I'd have no objection to including this extended period criteria to the Group Build - so long as subects modelled from this extended period are associated with the hostilities of that era. Discussing with Ollie (who will know infinitely more about this than myself..), we believe that we should allow kits which have proceeded up to roughly 50% of strict kit build, since to be fair, your normal WWI Aircraft construction is a phenomenon which goes a great deal beyond the assembly of what comes in the kit box - Rigging is at least 30% of the total construction, and it would be a shame if a model to be added to the Group Build were disqualified on artificial grounds when otherwise it would be a great asset to this GB.

Otherwise, unless the individual discloses otherwise, my aspiration would be 'moderation rules'. Critisizm of builds should be limited to respectful 'nudges' with regard to colour, accuracy (or by association, lack of...) of a specific kit, decal sheet, scratchbuild, or other.

In any case, there's a couple of weeks to go, so I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big thankyou to everyone for showing interest, and ask you all to share your thoughts on what you think the rules of engagement should be here. It's an open forum, the limits are not set in stone, it's your group build, so please, by all means, treat it so.

Rigging is at least 30% of the total construction

The Fokker DR.1 I am proposing seems rather devoid of rigging, I know the Revell kit is old and basic... am I missing more detailed information.. the instructions show one cross in the undercarrige and one on front of the cockpit... is there much more?

Legally the war did not end unitl the signing of the various treaties in 1919. 11 November is an armistace, a stopping of hostillities. Most soldier were retained in case the Germans renaged on the terms of the armistace. May seem pedantic but it the case. Same with the Second World War. It only officially ended with the signing of the 2+4 treaty in 1990.

Looking forward to this one.

Ross

All sounds OK to me - I'm no historian so I can't add to the "legal" aspects of the war and the SE5a is my first ever WW1 subject so I'm a novice in that regard as well.

TBH you're scaring me a bit re rigging! I was planning to Have A Go with stretched sprue and to aim for the "impression" of rigging rather than any sort of accuracy. Indeed - I've no plans to win any prizes in this GB. It's the cameraderie I'm after: the banter, the group hugs :grouphug:, backslapping and the manly, sweaty after-match shower shenanigans :analintruder::kissing2: .

I'll get me coat...

All sounds OK to me - I'm no historian so I can't add to the "legal" aspects of the war and the SE5a is my first ever WW1 subject so I'm a novice in that regard as well.

TBH you're scaring me a bit re rigging! I was planning to Have A Go with stretched sprue and to aim for the "impression" of rigging rather than any sort of accuracy. Indeed - I've no plans to win any prizes in this GB. It's the cameraderie I'm after: the banter, the group hugs :grouphug:, backslapping and the manly, sweaty after-match shower shenanigans :analintruder::kissing2: .

I'll get me coat...

I was with you up to banter... but I too am attempting my first WW1 subject and only my fourth aircraft... I think the level of accuracy is down to your ability, at least it will be with my attempt...

I see the 'masterpieces' as inspiration rather than competition...

The Fokker DR.1 I am proposing seems rather devoid of rigging, I know the Revell kit is old and basic... am I missing more detailed information.. the instructions show one cross in the undercarrige and one on front of the cockpit... is there much more?

Nope, that was about it. Here's what I did with mine:

tri1.jpg

unless you want to add the control wires to the tail and the ailerons, that is...

tri6.jpg

Wires go up from the middle wing root to the top wing (in pairs on the real thing if I remember rightly - I cheated and used only one each side) and from the holes in the wing to the aileron horns (all visible in the above shot) and also from the oval holes in the rear fuselage to the rudder and elevator horns:

lines.jpg

Hope that helps,

Dean

Cross bracing cables forward of the gun muzzles go from the top centre of the cabane struts down to the forward lower cabane strut. The Aileron cables can be clearly seen in the image just forward of the pilot. Apart from the landing gear bracing wires all that is left is the control cables exiting the rear of the aircraft and the wires controlling the ailerons. Job done!

44011831.FokkerDr1Tournagefilm3.jpg

Deanflyer and Bobs... many thanks for the confirmation. That DR.1 looks quite detailed especially the machine gun... If the build goes well I might have a stab at the rear elevators..

BTW... that DR.1 is a fine example of a masterpiece I mentioned earlier...