Boeing 737-200

stringbag

the Braz engines are a bit of a disappointment and I have to agree.

Based on my limited experience, that's not 100% surprising - what's up with 'em? I've got a problem with uncured resin on those ones you gave me... took the scary step of gouging it all out & replacing it with putty. Whether it's worked or not, I'll tell you after the putty's cured ;)

Based on my limited experience, that's not 100% surprising - what's up with 'em? I've got a problem with uncured resin on those ones you gave me... took the scary step of gouging it all out & replacing it with putty. Whether it's worked or not, I'll tell you after the putty's cured ;)

No problems with the resin itself Mike, just shape issues I'm affraid.

Chris.

"...I wasn't happy with the look of the Airfix kit..."

thats a good reason :)

look forward to seeing it done...

Cheers Kev1n. More later I hope.

Chris.

I have finally decided to finish the 737 in this scheme. It brings back happy memories of my frequent trips to Manchester in the 70's.

I have blatantly stolen this picture from the Two-Six site as my scanner is acting up a bit at the moment so I hope Ray will forgive me.

SabenaB737-200STS4494.jpg

Nice isn't it!!!!

Chris.

Maybe Ray can give you a free set for blatent advertising of his great work :D

Bloody 'ell Neil, I have a ring binder full of Ray's decals, and no room for any more. They are all going to get used one day, honestly!!!!

Chris.

"Bloody 'ell Neil, I have a ring binder full of Ray's decals, and no room for any more. They are all going to get used one day, honestly!!!!"

I have room in my ring binder....

"Bloody 'ell Neil, I have a ring binder full of Ray's decals, and no room for any more. They are all going to get used one day, honestly!!!!"

I have room in my ring binder....

I'm gonna get me a bigger binder. :evil_laugh:

Enough of the willy waving boys... where's the updates on the build? :hmmm:

I saw these both last night, and Chris is doing a bang-up job on them. We discussed the pros & cons of panel lines & experimented with a few different colored washes to see which worked the best.

Hope we are talking about your decal folder here !!!!

If you are, its because you aren't building enough models :winkgrin:

Listen here you two!!!!!!!

I've done more over the last week than have for the last five years, so I had better be careful incase I overdose.

Anyway, cant do much more until I get some better engines. Know what I mean Neil? ;)

Hope we are talking about your decal folder here !!!!

If you are, its because you aren't building enough models :winkgrin:

this is true....I confess....

Listen here you two!!!!!!!

I've done more over the last week than have for the last five years, so I had better be careful incase I overdose.

Anyway, cant do much more until I get some better engines. Know what I mean Neil? ;)

OK boss !

You are at the mercy of your local posty now mate !

OK boss !

You are at the mercy of your local posty now mate !

Cheers Neil.

I'll be able to crack on a bit when they arrive.

In the meantime, I've a couple of others to have a go at. I may even do another 737-200 conversion as I have enjoyed this one so much.

Chris.

The nose shape is better as well....

Only just found this thread Chris, & the first thing you do is go & dispel another one of my long held beliefs (someone will post that Santa Claus doesn't exist next :fraidnot: ) - I was always under the impression that the Airfix 737 was among the kits to best capture the narrow body Boeings nose shape - along with their 727-100 (I know they manage to c*ck up the -200's somehow!) I had even intended to try & take a mould off it to do some clear resin castings to use on my Minicraft 707's to replace the woefully shaped conk on those! Suppose I'll have to try to take one off a Daco kit instead now then!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this one!

Keef

Only just found this thread Chris, & the first thing you do is go & dispel another one of my long held beliefs (someone will post that Santa Claus doesn't exist next :fraidnot: ) - I was always under the impression that the Airfix 737 was among the kits to best capture the narrow body Boeings nose shape - along with their 727-100 (I know they manage to c*ck up the -200's somehow!) I had even intended to try & take a mould off it to do some clear resin castings to use on my Minicraft 707's to replace the woefully shaped conk on those! Suppose I'll have to try to take one off a Daco kit instead now then!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this one!

Keef

Hi Keef.

I must admit that I too believed the 737 to be one of their better kits, and to be fair, it's not that bad. However, I just felt that the Daco one has the edge in terms of shape and detail level. As I mentioned above, it just looks better overall. Admittedly, it isn't fair to compare a kit of 1960's vintage with the Daco kit.

I know what you mean about the 727-100 and 200, and next time I go into the loft I'll have a look at them.

With regards to the Minicraft 707, there are a few companies that have made correction parts for the nose. Have a look at the Two-Mikes Resin catalogue.

That one looks very nice to me, well worth investing in one if you are having a go at The 707.

Cheers.

Chris.

With regards to the Minicraft 707, there are a few companies that have made correction parts for the nose. Have a look at the Two-Mikes Resin catalogue.

That one looks very nice to me, well worth investing in one if you are having a go at The 707.

Cheers.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Didn't know Two Mikes did one, & although I've just had a mooch around their website, I can only see it mentioned on the home page & search doesn't find it - maybe it's not ready yet? (any news Mike or Mike??!!)

I know Kurt does (or did?) one as part of his Authentic Airliners range, but that's solid resin, & although I can happily use decal cabin windows, I can't make airliners with solid flight deck windows as to me they just look like travel agents models. I know the majority of airliner modellers happily use them, but I was born awkward!! Hence thinking of trying to cast them in clear resin to see how it works (F-Rsin did say they were going to try casting some of their stuff in clear resin, but nothing seemed to come of it, so maybe it looks rubbish!!)

The other problem is I have 4 of the things to build & resin nose jobs can be expensive!!

All the best

Keef

"...Airfix 737 was among the kits to best capture the narrow body Boeings nose shape - along with their 727-100 (I know they manage to c*ck up the -200's somehow!) I had even intended to try & take a mould off it to do some clear resin castings to use on my Minicraft 707's to replace the woefully shaped conk on those! Suppose I'll have to try to take one off a Daco kit instead now then!..."

depend how much money you have and how many daco kits your prepared to buy and sacrifice...

personally I'd rather use my daco kits as they are and fix the airfix kits - which IMHO dont need that much fixing (see below)

"...Admittedly, it isn't fair to compare a kit of 1960's vintage with the Daco kit."

no not really but it's fair to compare how modern stuff has improved, or in the case of minicraft, not improved, over the years...

"...I know what you mean about the 727-100 and 200, and next time I go into the loft I'll have a look at them.

With regards to the Minicraft 707, there are a few companies that have made correction parts for the nose..."

The airfix 737 still looks like a 737 to me.

Both 727's have issues but they are fixable - the airfix 727-100 is much better than revell's (if you either have a stash or can find them)

but the nose probs are more to do with the cockpit windows and cockpit roof rather than the nose itself...

I have a topic somewhere on the AA 727-100, I used the airfix kit, replaced the cockpit windows and reshaped the cockpit roof - it looks fine, again to me at least. The 727-200 has the same issue with the cockpit windows and roof and it can be fixed in the same way

"...solid resin, & although I can happily use decal cabin windows, I can't make airliners with solid flight deck windows as to me they just look like travel agents models. I know the majority of airliner modellers happily use them, but I was born awkward!!..."

II guess I must have been born that way too :) I'm happy in my awkwardness....and dont like solid resin coz I cfan't open doors and install interiors...

I have loads of models with decalled cockpit and cabin windows but prefer to have clear cockpit windows at least.

I'd love to have clear cabin windows and put everything inside but since nobody has invented perfectly clear and in-scale 1/144 or 1/200 windows yet, I'm stuck with decals....mostly anyway...