The Mossies Home

rob

Well is it as good as the Tamiya Spitfire?

Well after the momentous phone call from Dave @ Halifax Modellers World, I managed to get an early finish from work and dashed

up the M62, then I had to go to Knutsford to sort out a problem BluRay player! I eventually got home after a 115 mile round trip during which

I had to pickup the family tea. After finishing a huge bagful of Ronald McDonalds finest I broke the seals and lifted the the enormous box lid

and gazed down at the treasure within, so is it any good............................

Yes in my opinion, i've not had the sprues out of the bags yet, but first impessions are that it's a stunningly well thought out kit

many people will consider the Spitfire kit the better of the two primarily because of the stunning surface detail, but remember

that the Mossie actually has very little surface detail because the way it's constructed.

If you look closely you can see the odd touch of flash but by and large it's beautifully moulded, the instrument faces are pre painted

which was a (pleasant) surprise, the decals are a Cartograf sheet which seems in register and very complete.

I can't wait to get cracking on this, but i'm working flat out at the moment so it'll get started in the New Year.

When i've a little more time i'll post some more thoughts if anyone is interested......

One more thing my congratulations and thanks to Airfix for producing such a fantastic kit.

Regards To All Rob........... :partytime:

Well is it as good as the Tamiya Spitfire?

Well after the momentous phone call from Dave @ Halifax Modellers World, I managed to get an early finish from work and dashed

up the M62, then I had to go to Knutsford to sort out a problem BluRay player! I eventually got home after a 115 mile round trip during which

I had to pickup the family tea. After finishing a huge bagful of Ronald McDonalds finest I broke the seals and lifted the the enormous box lid

and gazed down at the treasure within, so is it any good............................

Yes in my opinion, i've not had the sprues out of the bags yet, but first impessions are that it's a stunningly well thought out kit

many people will consider the Spitfire kit the better of the two primarily because of the stunning surface detail, but remember

that the Mossie actually has very little surface detail because the way it's constructed.

If you look closely you can see the odd touch of flash but by and large it's beautifully moulded, the instrument faces are pre painted

which was a (pleasant) surprise, the decals are a Cartograf sheet which seems in register and very complete.

I can't wait to get cracking on this, but i'm working flat out at the moment so it'll get started in the New Year.

When i've a little more time i'll post some more thoughts if anyone is interested......

One more thing my congratulations and thanks to Airfix for producing such a fantastic kit.

Regards To All Rob........... :partytime:

Well Great news for you Rob .

Hope you enjoy it . I'll stick to 48th since I have limited display space . However from what I've seen of it, it certainly seems to have brought back Airfix to the fore

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Interesting. How much did it cost you ?

Can't help wondering if it's worth waiting for a vendor price war. Looking at eBay, some people are clicking BiN and saving twenty quid in the process.

Interesting. How much did it cost you ?

Can't help wondering if it's worth waiting for a vendor price war. Looking at eBay, some people are clicking BiN and saving twenty quid in the process.

Dave, I paid list as I think it's worth it, I work in retail and if people buy on price only all that'll happen is the proper model shops will

be driven out of business. I actually bought three Mossies and two Tamiya Spitfires because I had a little rainy day kit money stashed away

Regards Rob.....

NB the Kit's magnificent!!!

Well not a lot if averaged out over the year.........but thats only if you refrain from buying any other Model related items !!!!

:):)

Cheers

Terry McGrady

It seems a lot but remember i've been waiting for a 1/24th Mossie since the rumours started 30 years ago! I don't buy many kits, but when I do

I tend to go mad. I also bought a new compressor and an Iwata Airbrush so my spend is near 4 figures but I see those parts as an investment

But my wife thinks i'm puddled!!!

Regards Rob........

Edited by rob

It seems a lot but remember i've been waiting for a 1/24th Mossie since the rumours started 30 years ago! I don't buy many kits, but when I do

I tend to go mad. I also bought a new compressor and an Iwata Airbrush so my spend is near 4 figures but I see those parts as an investment

But my wife thinks i'm puddled!!!

Regards Rob........

Well Rob ,

As long as she can spend spend the same amount on clothes and shoes , you can maintain the higher moral ground ....... works for me anyway !!!

Regards

Terry

Well Rob ,

As long as she can spend spend the same amount on clothes and shoes , you can maintain the higher moral ground ....... works for me anyway !!!

Regards

Terry

you're not wrong there mate :analintruder:

Regards Rob....

I agree with Rob's intial inspection results. LUURRRVLY. Enjoy:

Box - you may make out the 18" rule along the bottom of the main pic (the tiles are 450mm!)...

0912130021.jpg

Open the box!....

0912130022.jpg

Why is it so big (oo-er madam)?

0912130032.jpg

Biggest disappointment? Slight creasing of the decal sheet in the bottom of the box, possily caused during transit? The only parts that may or not be affected at the very edges of the tressel markings

0912130023.jpg

The tyres :

0912130033.jpg

Yes rubber BUT flattened and bulged. Not beyond redemption imho.

Instruction sheet - yes that's the same 18" rule!

0912130025.jpg

just one part of the engine section - it just opened on that page, honest

0912130029.jpg

Decals - here are most of the stencils

0912130030.jpg

0912130031.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics, the kitchen wasn't designed with photography in mind...On the subject of cost: My LMS (don't they all need support?)£129.99, 30 mile round trip, 10% off with Airfix Club Members card (the discout went towards one each of the two 1:72 Hawks!).

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser

if you look closely at the tread on the tyres you'll see that they have to be rubber as they would be impossible to mould with that tread pattern on in styrene- youd never get them out of the mould due to the undercuts in the tread. only other option is resin (which uses a flexible mould) but that isnt suitable for a mass production kit.

Can you post images of the 418 decals? I know that was a late addition to the kit but i can't find any details on what markings are provided. Being that I am a former 418 member and I have met many of the aces who flew with 418 I really have a keen interest in that option. As well, I worked with Cutting Edge on the two 418 decal sheets that they produced.

Can you post images of the 418 decals? I know that was a late addition to the kit but i can't find any details on what markings are provided. Being that I am a former 418 member and I have met many of the aces who flew with 418 I really have a keen interest in that option. As well, I worked with Cutting Edge on the two 418 decal sheets that they produced.

There are no 418 Squadron decals in the kit, originally they where listed but I think they where dropped in favour of Pickards 487sqn Operation Jericho mount....

Regards Rob....

Can you post images of the 418 decals?
There are no 418 Squadron decals in the kit, originally they where listed but I think they where dropped in favour of Pickards 487sqn Operation Jericho mount....

Decals options in the box:

487 Sqn F*EG HX922, Op Jerico 18th Feb 1944

143 Sqn NE*A HR405, Banff 1945

1 Sqn RAAF, Y*NA A52-518, 1945

1 Sqn RAAF, A*NA A52 500, 1945

157 Sqn RS*B M4087, 1941

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser

It's a truly magnificent kit and having just completed the tamiya 32nd spit , I recon this beats it and haven't started it yet!! The only nuicance I think is the sink mark line that runs the span of the main wing molding due to the thickness of the flap shrouds, simply fixable and the only critisism really, I think not only have they made kit of the year, they have made the kit of the decade , dare I say even the best plastic kit ever? Possibly what do u guys think?

Regards Rob....

That totally sucks. But Aviology has 418 decals in this scale planned too.