Airfix SHar FA.2

4scourge7

The Sea Harrier SAM Datafile is great too but for clear and detailed walkaround pictures and cockpit photos, you should think about getting the Kagero book too...it comes in very, very handy.

The 'Harrier: Inside and Out' book is very good for an overview and has some great photos, but for FA.2 specific detail pics, the Kagero book is the best out there.

if anyone wants any FRS 1 /FA.2 pics newark air museum has ZA176 and i have quite a few walkaround shots and i plan to go and get more soon, so pm me and ill let you have what ive got and then sent the rest on!

100_1155.jpg

100_1160.jpg

Edited by markmarples

The SAM Modellers Datafile is good - well I'd have to say that wouldn't I, having contributed a large amount to it! - but for detailed walkaround photos of an FA2 the Kagero book is tops and costs 2/3rds of the MDF price.

OK, Jake, you've got my interest on the Heritage project, spill the beans via a PM; it'll go no further - you owe me one...!

Cheers,

Nick

Good photos Mark!

Modellers please note that most preserved SHARs sit nose down compard to their in-service selves - due to lack of pressue in the front u/c !

Please don't modify the kit's front u/c to resemble the above photo - unless modelling a preserved SHAR of course!

HTH,

Nick

Edited by NG899

I have noticed that on the colour sheets there is reference to fuselage AMRAAM pylons but these are not included in the kit. If you look at the stencil page you can see the pylons just below the Sea Eagle. I was wondering if sprue A and B are for the FRS1 and have been placed in the wrong boxes.

Hi again

Adding to the pictures of preserved Sea Harrier F/A2s are these pair, ZH800 and ZH801 that are currently maintained in very good condition by the NSW at RAF Cottesmore.

SHAR-D11.jpg

SHAR-D15.jpg

Regards

Mark

Good photos Mark!

Modellers please note that most preserved SHARs sit nose down compard to their in-service selves - due to lack of pressue in the front u/c !

Please don't modify the kit's front u/c to resemble the above photo - unless modelling a preserved SHAR of course!

HTH,

Nick

...and the inner pylons look decidedly RAF ..........ZA176 - a famous/infamous airfcraft!!!

Hello Ian,

Many thanks for posting pics of the sprues; it makes a purchase decision so much easier when you can see what is discussed. The kit certainly looks very good and I'm glad that Airfix went to the trouble to release two new-mould kits of what is now an out-of-service aircraft (excluding Indian examples of course). I'll definitely be getting one each when they reach our distant shores (or perhaps not wait that long).

Again, thanks Ian for taking the time to post the sprue shots.

Regds,

Andrew.

No probs Andrew, glad to be of help.

And thanks to the Marks for some excellent reference, when I`m further along with my E-3 Sentry/thrown it at the wall (delete as applicable), I want to get cracking on this nice kit, some of the pics and comments are already of great help.

Cheers, Ian

Made the last foto my desktop. Thanks!

The Airfix kit seems to give the old ESCI a run for its money. The fan DOES look the part, for sure. How has it treated the aux inlets? Is that a separate backing ring to the intake, with cutouts for the inlet doors?

Edited by dahut

From what I've read (I've yet to get my grubby little paws on either of the new SHARs) the auxiliary inlet doors are moulded separately from the intakes, and there are two versions in the kit - one has all the doors closed, the other has the upper doors wide open, and the lower doors fully closed, with the ones in between transitioning between open and closed as they go round the intake.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

From what I've read (I've yet to get my grubby little paws on either of the new SHARs) the auxiliary inlet doors are moulded separately from the intakes, and there are two versions in the kit - one has all the doors closed, the other has the upper doors wide open, and the lower doors fully closed, with the ones in between transitioning between open and closed as they go round the intake.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

:analintruder: Talk about options! Wowser!

Looks like Airfix are starting to come back with a bang> Shame they havent sent enough stock out to the local shops, no one near me in worcester has any, closest shop says no deliveries until after xmas

If they had the stock I'm sure they would send out as much as the retailers wanted. Unfortunately the manufacturing timetable is set many months in advance, well before any James May effect could be anticipated. It's a fine balancing act, too much stock and it's money tied up doing nothing, too little and you miss out on sales and profits.

I just hope Vince at MFS is getting some in soon!

Best

Rich

HI ALL

only really looked at mine and test fitted a few pieces first of all i'd like to say to airfix welcome back to the 72nd scale harrier buisness and can we have some " t " birds next year please.

while i think this is a good kit i look forward to see what the after market guy do...

happy modelling glenn.....