Airfix SHar FA.2

4scourge7

WOOHOO, it`s here and it looks nice, costs nice, IS NICE!

a1-2.jpg

a2-2.jpg

a3-1.jpg

a4-1.jpg

a5-1.jpg

Airfix is striding back, I`m delighted to say. :speak_cool:

Nice panel lines, BULGED TYRES (!!!), cockpit needs work but big deal! I`m deleriously happy!!

Get one

Cheers, Ian

Edited by ian buick

Nice touch with the seperate Omega gives an option for the final scheme so efectively 4 choices 00B

Think it was mentioned elsewhere but the pilot for the spits would be better suited! :lol:

good to hear the panel lines are good

naughty Airfix releasing the Shar 1 AND 2 together at the same time as the Mig15 ooooooo no fair me want them all now and lots of :frantic:

will i be able to wait to join the Airfix club to get one :bounce:

Thanks for the spue shots Ian

Nice touch with the seperate Omega gives an option for the final scheme so efectively 4 choices 00B

Think it was mentioned elsewhere but the pilot for the spits would be better suited! :lol:

good to hear the panel lines are good

naughty Airfix releasing the Shar 1 AND 2 together at the same time as the Mig15 ooooooo no fair me want them all now and lots of :frantic:

will i be able to wait to join the Airfix club to get one :bounce:

Thanks for the spue shots Ian

the panel lines are JUST this side of good (far better than the GR.7 say), ideal for someone like me that does a fair bit of spraying and weathering.

The pilot is a bit `chocks away Ginge`. :D but He fullfills His purpose in the confines of the cockpit.

..£8 according to your box top - how come, RRP has been advertised at £6.25 ..anything that looks like an engine fan in there..?

Bottom left of the second last pic. For IP, it really is a nice bit of work that the pictures do not do justice to. Each blade is INDIVIDUALY moulded with gaps inbetween, unlike the old GR.7 solid piece.

This kit is actually growing on me, airbrake and u/cart well have some detailling also.

Sweet!

Sorry Daz couldnt resist :P:banghead:

The GR7 kit is already available- though at the moment as a starter set with paints and retails around £15

they crop up on ebay though and can be had fairly cheaply if you shop around. Make sure you get the boxing with the colourful tailfin and NOT the earlier green Harrier with flames in the background.

The grey GR7 with painted fin on the box has the weapons upgrade set

Hi,

Pleased to see you're all happy with the Airifx FA.2. Two minor areas of concern from the ones I saw at SMW - which may have been pre-production samples, meaning these problems aren't in the released kit - I hope not!

One is easily sortable, the other harder to do...

1. The radome bulges outwards before tapering towards the nose, check photos - lots on airliners.net for example - it shouldn't ! Easy to sort out with sanding.

2. The canopy shape looked a tad flat / squashed. I'll let you decide when you compare it with photos. This may be sand-then-polishable, depending how thick/thin the canopy moulding is. Until mine arrives, I cannot say.

One highly recommended reference for all you FA2 fans is the Kagero Tophsots book on the SHAR FA.2 - ISBN 83-89088-93-2, it used to cost about £8.00. If you can only have one FA.2 reference book, this is it!

Have fun and looking forward to seeing those SHARs! Shout if you need any help...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NG899

Hello Ian,

Many thanks for posting pics of the sprues; it makes a purchase decision so much easier when you can see what is discussed. The kit certainly looks very good and I'm glad that Airfix went to the trouble to release two new-mould kits of what is now an out-of-service aircraft (excluding Indian examples of course). I'll definitely be getting one each when they reach our distant shores (or perhaps not wait that long).

Again, thanks Ian for taking the time to post the sprue shots.

Regds,

Andrew.

and I was a numpty and had a go at Wxtrakit.... needing Hase's FRS1 to complete it...lol Extragawa... ah well, it was a gift ^^

This looks the top notch :D cant wait to get my paws on a couple :bounce:

Slightly (3x) off-topic...but very (3x) closely related... How's your big 24th scale FA2 coming along Jake? You've been very quiet about it so I'm expecting it to be almost done and dusted now! :frantic:

Cheers,

Nick

Those who live near Croydon, Allders have a 10% sale on Hornby products including Airfix this weekend, so I got a few Sea Harriers. No Mossies or Mig-15 though.

Robert

... the Kagero Topshots book really is the Holy Grail of reference for the FA.2!

I have the Sea Harrier SAM Datafile (140 odd pages) and the Crowood 'Harrier' photo book by Mark Atrill. Do I need another reference then.. ?

The Sea Harrier SAM Datafile is great too but for clear and detailed walkaround pictures and cockpit photos, you should think about getting the Kagero book too...it comes in very, very handy.

The 'Harrier: Inside and Out' book is very good for an overview and has some great photos, but for FA.2 specific detail pics, the Kagero book is the best out there.

Edited by JakeEaton