* Send Little Nellie, Most Urgent.FINISHED.

Rallychef

This is very much a departure for me, since returning to the hobby late 08, I have only ever built rally cars and trucks. I come across this kit during the summer at our local hospitals fundrairing carboot sale. It was only £1.00 or so, my original idea was to bung it on e bay and put the funds towards another car kit. however the more I looked at it the more hesitant I was to sell, so it joined the ever expanding stash of cars and trucks. Now with this Group Build I have the motivation to give it a go. Be gentle with me It's my first wingy thing.

2009_082800111.jpg

Regards Ian

Edited by Rallychef

I have built one, it's currently in a display cabinet at my mothers, if I get chance I'll take a photo and post it. To do a really neat job I recall some diversion from the instructions are required. Also one needs to make sure the tubular frame needs careful lining up in relation to the fuel tank other wise everything else will be out of true. It is very much a kit that is built and finsihed in sub-sections. That said it is a very nice kit - perhaps Airfix's best.

Marty...

Wow!! didn't realise you could get Little Nellie, will keep an eye on this one :) , bet it is a little easier to handle than this chaps 1:1 scale LN!!!!! :devil: ......................

KENWALLIS.jpg

Kindest regards,

JB.

Thanks for the comments guy's, I hope to make a start on it next week, anyway now I have my camera back from being repaired here is the customary sprue shot

IMG_0109-1.jpg

Marty, thanks for the advice on the build, I have found an article in TMW that echo's exactly what you said.

IMG_0110.jpg

I was hoping to visit the Bond museum in Keswick, a very good friend of mine manages the cars of the stars & bond museums, they have a replica of Little Nellie, unfortunatly they have had to move the collecton and close the museum for a short spell because of the recient floods.

more when I get a start next week

regards Ian D

I'm carrying out my pre-Christmas visit to my mother this weekend. If I remember I'll take my digi-camera and take some shots of the couple I made, way back when.

From memory the key to a successful build, is make is to cut away the nose wheel oleo to leave a small stub, leaving just enough to locate the frame and leaving enough for a location fix for the nose wheel afterwards. The cowling needs to built as a single piece this allows one to do this, as there is some sink mark to address and the usual smoothing of the joint, which needs to be near perfect for the yellow and bare metal on the underside. the apertures for the machine cgun fixing needs some careful knife work to enable then to line through. Once the frame is painted its just a case of carefully threading it through and fixing with a smigeon of CA. The nose wheel then can be fixed from outside. The matra pods needs addressing to get rid of the addendums for former working mechanisms, bit that is a straight forward fix.

Watch out for the decals they err the translucent side and the yellow and the silver can be seen through the cheat line. You can see it in the image of the magazine, I think.

By the way, that mag article looks interesting, any chance of a scan please?

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

• 1 month later...

I have been looking through all the superb builds on the group build, great work everyone, I have not commented individually as I feel I don't know enough about the subject.

Anyway, Little Nellie has been cleaned up and primed,

IMG_0109-2.jpg

and some paint thrown at her

IMG_0123.jpg

I hope to get some assembly done tomorrow when the paint has dried off a bit, more later in the weekend

regards Ian

Well after some major work over the weekend I have finally got Nellie finished,

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0138-1.jpg

some fit issues on the way,but a very enjoyable build. So much so I have another helicopter on the way,Revell 04649 1/72 Eurocopter EC-135, which will be built in my normal Motorsport theme, a rally management helicopter (Ford's M-Sport Team).

Not sure if I will gwt it built in the remaining timescale of the GB, but I will give it a go.

Regards Ian

Edited by Rallychef