* My contribution

Cheers Stebos , I agree the KA is a tasty little morsel, just finishing off detailing the cockpit, as for the mighty Cheyenne, an awesome machine that was WAAY ahead of its time, the Aurora kit may be ancient but it's basically accurate if just heavy handed, nothing that can't be hammered into shape though :wicked: ....in my humble opinion it's a lot more value than the expensive Anigrand offering, (which tooling bears an uncanny resemblance to !!!)...

pics of builds to follow...

Andy

• 1 month later...

Right, the Cheyenne has been built and set ready for final finish...must admit I am tempted to finish it in a'what-If?' grey scheme!!...but will probably stick to a weathered olive drab finish as per the prototypes...lovely, but very hard to find kit..( though a Hell of a lot cheaper than the Anigrand resin, which incidently seems to be based on this kit!!),

Mods so far are the all new cockpit and under fuselage belly mounted gun pack, scratch side fairings, brass exhaust pipe, a couple of FFAR rocket packs, some new aerials. Various new holes and vents have been drilled into place and the rotor head totally rebuilt as the original was way too thick...still lots of fine detailing to do yet though.....especially on the undercarriage and rotorhead....

Canopy has since been primed and faired in and new TOW packs and auxilliary drop tanks scratchbuilt............I love this machine, shame it was cancelled due to massive cost over runs and complexity....one mean looking copter, :wicked:

Cheers,

General M...

P1070481.jpg

P1070484.jpg

Cheers Al, it was indeed a beast designed back in the wonderful sixties when speed was the 'thing', having a pusher prop and rigid rotor system the Cheyenne was the fastest attack 'copter ever built coming in at just over 256 mph, (in fact up to now still the fastest chopper period)... the Apache evolved from this with agility and survivability being key .

It's been described as more aircraft than chopper, kind of a hybrid between OV-10 Bronco and AH-1 Cobra.

To my eye it looks like it would be well at home in an Aliens movie!....

Edited by general melchett

• 4 weeks later...

Any progress Melchy? Ive got a couple of these stashed away aswell as theAnigrand one ( I think). Looking forwards to seeing this one finished to your usual excellent standards.. although anyone who builds such a rare and valuable kit must have a screw loose :)

Thanks Deon, nearly there!!.....as for building it, well it only cost me £10 at SMW last year and the box and decals were in a very poor state so it was an easy decision. If they'd been perfect then it would have been a different story. Having looked closely at the expensive Anigrand one I must say that I dont really think that it's a great improvement over this one as it's pretty much spot on dimension wise with only some details missing and heavy panel lines easily, sanded down...(after all it's based on ship No 001, the prototype.) I've scratchbuilt and fitted all the missing parts of the later prototypes, weapons, under belly cannon pack, vents and aerials, etc. Decals are from the Anigrand kit....great looking highly advanced 'copter!...