DH80 Desert Cloud

weemanreturns

Hi,

It's the 'weeman' back to haunt you !!!!. I am sure you know about my need for a kit to model Amy Johnson's DH80 puss moth G-ACAB. Well, the poser I am asking is - what where/are the colours of the registration letters and the 'desert cloud' inscription. I am pretty certain that the airframe colour was overall silver. However, looking at B+W photos, the 'desert cloud' inscription looks darker. I am nearly at my 'wits end' with this one. I just cannot find the answer. I just hope that somebody out the will come up with some idea that I have not checked out. Sorry to 'bore' you all with this, but as Magnus Magnusson said 'I've started, so I'll finish'

Regards

weeman

Hi,

It's the 'weeman' back to haunt you !!!!. I am sure you know about my need for a kit to model Amy Johnson's DH80 puss moth G-ACAB. Well, the poser I am asking is - what where/are the colours of the registration letters and the 'desert cloud' inscription. I am pretty certain that the airframe colour was overall silver. However, looking at B+W photos, the 'desert cloud' inscription looks darker. I am nearly at my 'wits end' with this one. I just cannot find the answer. I just hope that somebody out the will come up with some idea that I have not checked out. Sorry to 'bore' you all with this, but as Magnus Magnusson said 'I've started, so I'll finish'

Regards

weeman

As far as colours are concerned and if nothing concrete is going to turn up it might be worth looking at the sponsors,. It's just possible that Shell Aviation or Castrol colours were used. The registration letters have a dark outline by the way. Also AJ was fond of Green and many aviators had their particular superstions. The Civil Air Ensign was carried on either side of the rudder. i'm fairly certain that the wheel centres were probably Black

John

As far as colours are concerned and if nothing concrete is going to turn up it might be worth looking at the sponsors,. It's just possible that Shell Aviation or Castrol colours were used. The registration letters have a dark outline by the way. Also AJ was fond of Green and many aviators had their particular superstions. The Civil Air Ensign was carried on either side of the rudder. I'm fairly certain that the wheel centres were probably Black

John

Shell colours by the way were Yellow bordered by Red and I think Castrol were Green and White.

John

Shell colours by the way were Yellow bordered by Red and I think Castrol were Green and White.

John

Hi John,

Here we go again. Hope you are fit and well now. I had an amail from the dh moth club with the following comments

The aircraft was purchased new direct from de Havilland for her attempt on the Cape record. It had an uprated engine. David Luff says the aircraft was 'silver-grey' and that the registration letters were a 'stark, bottle green colour'.

It sounds very near the mark and ties in with your comments regarding castrol colours. Also, 'Jason' had a bottle green fuselage, so I think we are getting warm !!!!. The only problem now is sourcing bottle green registration decals, or over-painting some suitable ones. I rang Peter yesterday and arranged shipping and payment - Thankyou.

Best Regards

Andy

Hi John,

Here we go again. Hope you are fit and well now. I had an amail from the dh moth club with the following comments

The aircraft was purchased new direct from de Havilland for her attempt on the Cape record. It had an uprated engine. David Luff says the aircraft was 'silver-grey' and that the registration letters were a 'stark, bottle green colour'.

It sounds very near the mark and ties in with your comments regarding castrol colours. Also, 'Jason' had a bottle green fuselage, so I think we are getting warm !!!!. The only problem now is sourcing bottle green registration decals, or over-painting some suitable ones. I rang Peter yesterday and arranged shipping and payment - Thankyou.

Best Regards

Andy

G-ACAB was the first DH 80 to be fitted with a Gipsy Major as most had Gipsy III's. My prop btw is off a Gipsy III from the D of W's machine G-ABBS. I had a feeling about the Green letters. Remember they also have a dark outline which depending on the type of film used could be Black or even yellow (Ortho) I'm sure there is someone who could do the letters on a computer for you in Alps printing. By the way the fin and rudder would be the larger type and not the original small type as on my kit. Easy enough to make.

John

G-ACAB was the first DH 80 to be fitted with a Gipsy Major as most had Gipsy III's. My prop btw is off a Gipsy III from the D of W's machine G-ABBS. I had a feeling about the Green letters. Remember they also have a dark outline which depending on the type of film used could be Black or even yellow (Ortho) I'm sure there is someone who could do the letters on a computer for you in Alps printing. By the way the fin and rudder would be the larger type and not the original small type as on my kit. Easy enough to make.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and the information. I sent an email to Shell regarding the registration letters, but haven't had a reply yet. Yet to find a source for the decals. I feel like I'm gradually getting there. Can't wait to start cutting plastic.

Regards

Andy

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and the information. I sent an email to Shell regarding the registration letters, but haven't had a reply yet. Yet to find a source for the decals. I feel like I'm gradually getting there. Can't wait to start cutting plastic.

Regards

Andy

Hi John,

Just to let you know, I received the kit yesterday. Absolutely Superb. Many Thanks

Best Regards

Andy

Edited by weeman