Airfix 1/24 Mosquito - Complete at Last!

Wow...Wow....Wow......And WWWOOWWWWW again!

This is a fantastic job Spence, I hope i can do the same justice to the model.

I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, I fell in love with it when I saw the test example at Telford last year.

With a model of this scale, you can go OTT with adding the extra detail. If anyone has seen the engine in my Mk2 Jag will know what I'm talking about. That's the thing about larger scales, you are only limited by your abilities in modelling and what equipment you've got. I've seen 1/25th scale cars with fully working prop shafts modelled, and it's a static model!

Mick

Wow spence once again you made another master piece, love the painting and weathering but the paint work on the merlin is what I like best :speak_cool:

I dug the 48th mossie sprue out and compared it to the pic, :analintruder: that thing is a beast can't wait to see it in the flesh or on the spure so to speak :thumbsup:

Wow spence once again you made another master piece, love the painting and weathering but the paint work on the merlin is what I like best :speak_cool:

I dug the 48th mossie sprue out and compared it to the pic, :analintruder: that thing is a beast can't wait to see it in the flesh or on the spure so to speak :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! I agree about the size - it's huge eh?! :analintruder:

All the best, Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

very nice! :thumbsup:

if its not rude to ask, what are you planning on building after this excellent build?

Hey fella!

The next big project will be Tamiya's Spitfire MK.IX and then after that I have a few vehicles to do for MIS before a start a 1/32 F-86 Sabre and 1/48 F-16B Fighting Falcon...

Looks like I'll be busy eh..? :whistle:

Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

Hi Spence,

I could be hypercritical, but it would be inappropriate. You have produced a bit of a masterpiece here and need to be congratulated.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Airfix have also done a very good job.

What is the name of the Magazine you are currently editing? Hmmmm?

Dave

Hi Spence,

I could be hypercritical, but it would be inappropriate. You have produced a bit of a masterpiece here and need to be congratulated.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Airfix have also done a very good job.

What is the name of the Magazine you are currently editing? Hmmmm?

Dave

Model Aviation World Dave. It's the one advertised on the Home page.

Bloomin' marvellous Spence!

Tony :clif:

Edited by avro683

Mine arrived today.... :evil_laugh:

Oh My God!!!!! :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked:

Hats off to Airfix with this, it is beautiful. Page after page of instructions, 16 sprues for the aircraft including the glazing, 1 rubber sprue with the tyres and the sprue with the flight crew on.

This will be a long leisurely build for me, I don't want to mess this up. Mind you, there's a 1/32nd Tomcat, Sea Venom and Hunter waiting to be started too. :banghead:

I must be MAD????????

• 3 weeks later...
Mine arrived today.... :evil_laugh:

Oh My God!!!!! :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked:

Hats off to Airfix with this, it is beautiful. Page after page of instructions, 16 sprues for the aircraft including the glazing, 1 rubber sprue with the tyres and the sprue with the flight crew on.

This will be a long leisurely build for me, I don't want to mess this up. Mind you, there's a 1/32nd Tomcat, Sea Venom and Hunter waiting to be started too. :banghead:

I must be MAD????????

Just got mine today and you are right - Oh mien Gott!!!! I'm in love. Where the heck do I start? It is absolutely stunning. No idea about accuracy and not too fussed so long as it looks right.

Only complaint is the aircrew - I know they would have been the subject of rationing but they all look a bit thin and don't appear to be wearing the old sheepskin flying suits - but hey got to do something that's not in the box.

Nice build the WIP will be very helpful - cheers

Graham

Edited by GrahamS

Just got mine today and you are right - Oh mien Gott!!!! I'm in love. Where the heck do I start? It is absolutely stunning. No idea about accuracy and not too fussed so long as it looks right.

Only complaint is the aircrew - I know they would have been the subject of rationing but they all look a bit thin and don't appear to be wearing the old sheepskin flying suits - but hey got to do something that's not in the box.

Nice build the WIP will be very helpful - cheers

Graham

FAO Graham.

I think it is really accurate. I've picked up the "Aviation Guide" book for the Mosquito FB.VI from SAM Publications, and with the quick read through of the book with the instructions and kit sprues, it looks accurate to me. This book is a must for building this model, plenty of photos and diagrams to work with.

I don't think I'll be using the crew though. I usually leave out the pilots from my aircraft normally. But if I hear about some decent aftermarket RAF pilot and navigator sets that will work with this model, then I might get some. Mind you, figure painting is not my area.

But I have a couple of problems though!

1: My workbench and spraybooth are not going to be big enough for this project (and a few of my other large aircraft models).

2: Where am I going to keep it once it's built?

3: How will I transport it to shows? Might be a case of building a crate to carry it in!

Who else has these problems? My workshop is a converted loft, you should see the fun getting the 1/144th Antonov AN-124 out of there in the box I transport it in! :deadhorse:

Mick

Edited by The Mechanic

FAO Graham.

I think it is really accurate. I've picked up the "Aviation Guide" book for the Mosquito FB.VI from SAM Publications, and with the quick read through of the book with the instructions and kit sprues, it looks accurate to me. This book is a must for building this model, plenty of photos and diagrams to work with.

I don't think I'll be using the crew though. I usually leave out the pilots from my aircraft normally. But if I hear about some decent aftermarket RAF pilot and navigator sets that will work with this model, then I might get some. Mind you, figure painting is not my area.

But I have a couple of problems though!

1: My workbench and spraybooth are not going to be big enough for this project (and a few of my other large aircraft models).

2: Where am I going to keep it once it's built?

3: How will I transport it to shows? Might be a case of building a crate to carry it in!

Who else has these problems? My workshop is a converted loft, you should see the fun getting the 1/144th Antonov AN-124 out of there in the box I transport it in! :deadhorse:

Mick

There's a bigger problem than the ones you've listed that I can think of.

Mrs. C has ordered me NOT to start building it until I have finished the 2, 1/32 scale kits that I have on the go. Well we all know how much notice we take when plastic is invovled. My problem is how do I start the monster and not let her find out.