Airfix 1/24 Mosquito - Complete at Last!

yes, shame somebody had to pipe up with a negative..

the kit is obviously a star ..but for me Spence's finish is just jaw-droppingly outstanding..

Edited by FalkeEins

Whilst I agree with everyone that Spence has done himself proud with his treatment of the kit, I also agree with Homebee in so far as the engine detail isn't really all that good for the scale :shrug:

He was barking up the wrong tree for sure with regard to the colours, but he is right about the detail part. I am currently building the Tamiya Spitfire, and the engine detail in that (smaller) kit is far superior, including the representation of the pipework.

None of that is said to in any way detract from what Airfix has done here - they had to stop somewhere to keep prices and complexity something like sensible. Personally though, I would rather they had done one engine bay super well than do both to a mediocre level.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Hi Everyone - I hope that you're all well today! :)

Wow - what a response! I am so pleased that you like the model as much as I do - it really looks like Airfix are on to a winner with this one! I just wish I had the time to build another... :analintruder:

To answer a few comments...

Beautiful job as ever Spence, look forward to seeing it in the flesh!, ...great use of subtle weathering, (of course!), there seems to be enormous scope for super detailing with this one :wicked:

(How did the Alclad work out.... :whistle: )

All the best,

Andy

Thanks Andy! The Alclad worked fine thanks, though as we discussed on the phone, that Airframe Aluminium is not good. I have to say though that I agree with the Duralumin - laverly... :wub:

Nice build, but are there any pitfalls?

No ammo feed for 303's or is that a forgotten item in the rush to build it for the deadline?

I do hope this isn't another 'wait till you read it in the magazine' type post.

W

The .303 feeds are in the kit, I just haven't fitted them yet - they will appear as part of my build feature. And yes, this is a 'wait till you read it in the magazine' type post - after all, that's why the model was built in the first place! ;)

Whilst I agree with everyone that Spence has done himself proud with his treatment of the kit, I also agree with Homebee in so far as the engine detail isn't really all that good for the scale :shrug:

He was barking up the wrong tree for sure with regard to the colours, but he is right about the detail part. I am currently building the Tamiya Spitfire, and the engine detail in that (smaller) kit is far superior, including the representation of the pipework.

None of that is said to in any way detract from what Airfix has done here - they had to stop somewhere to keep prices and complexity something like sensible. Personally though, I would rather they had done one engine bay super well than do both to a mediocre level.

Jen.

Hey Jen - how's tricks? To answer your point regarding the engine bay, Airfix did only do one engine bay; all of the engine parts and ancillary details were made once and then moulded twice over two sprues, thus cutting down on the cost needed to produce the model. Given that each engine nacelle is about the size of a 1/32 Spitfire fuselage, I still think that they did a great job - perhaps if they had included as much detail as the Spit, this kit would have been closer to £200, than the £130 it will go on sale for.... That said, I agree that the Spitfire is stunning - which is why it will be the next model that I complete for MAW...

For those of you who are keen to build this model, Airfix have said that they have now recieved the first batch of kits ready for shipping, so it shouldn't be long before it appears on the model shop shelves. As for me, the model is now complete and the feature written up - for those of you keen to see how I went about finishing the model, here's the cover of the next issue of MAW that will deal with the internal aspects of the kit - the painting and completion of the model being dealt with in the March issue. I hope you like it and don't mind such a shameless plug!

All the very best and have a great day. Spence :bye:

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

4166582274_1938aa9af8.jpg

ha ha - that's absolutely awesome, really looking forward to this kit coming out....................not entirely sure where I'm going to put the finished articles though!

Superb work :goodjob: I'd love a few of these, but for the usual constraints of space..money.. Christmas.. PLUS my over-active mind always does this - "Hmm. one nice large Mossie, or 25 Red Arrows Hawks.." Curses! :)

so what exactly is missing from the mossie engines?

Electrical cables and other fine details that are nigh on impossible to reproduce on a plastic injection model.

Mouthwatering Spence.

On the subject of engine detail, I would suggest that the Airfix detail is no less than you would find on the BETTER 1:24 plastic car engines. And as with the cars, if you want to add the detail, there's plenty of scope. Consider that the latest Tamiya cars are in the mid £30's and again the Mossie is good VFM in my book.

Just my two penn'th

Rich

Mouthwatering Spence.

On the subject of engine detail, I would suggest that the Airfix detail is no less than you would find on the BETTER 1:24 plastic car engines. And as with the cars, if you want to add the detail, there's plenty of scope. Consider that the latest Tamiya cars are in the mid £30's and again the Mossie is good VFM in my book.

Just my two penn'th

Rich

funnily enough i said this today as i've built a few 1/24 scale le mans cars with engines. on those you add piping+wires yourself (which as a MODELLER, i find really enjoyable!), and bearing in mind my tamiya enzo (unbuilt) was £30 and is the same size as my hand when built, puts it into perspective.

Edited by lufbramatt

Great stuff, Spence; as a little extra information, blue Merlins were built, post-war, in Spain, and there have been rebuilds with black crankcases, and n/m rocker covers, and (God forbid anyone does this) there have been red ones and gold ones. Information is still that wartime Merlins were all-black.

Edgar