Airfix 1/24 Mosquito - Complete at Last!

Engine colors are rather dubious... Engine block must be in gloss grey including the compressor zone. All the cooling sytem tubes are in grey-green not bronze. For a 1/24th kit the detail level of the engine is - at my opinion - quite poor. Compare with pictures of the real thing!

ydu85016611.jpg

mosquito-407.jpg

V.P.

It didn't take long......critisism totally unfounded

Merlin 21 has natural metal (aluminium) crankcases, black cylinder block and cylinder heads and natural metal (polished Aluminium) Camshaft covers

But i've seen many many photos showing the engines as all black, and the high pressure coolant pipes to and from the header tank are always copper as standard

they could have been painted during the restoration of that particular aircraft, if you look at Tony Agars NF11 at the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum you'd see that the

Merlin 21 is all black and all coolant pipes are copper

Regards Rob.......

Could we have our first Airfix knocker? I hope not as Spencer had to build it "out of the box" There are areas that could've been improved but I wouldn't mention it

because there's no point it's without doubt THE finest kit ive ever seen of the Mossie, it's possibly the best Aircraft kit ever, but i'll wait till I get to fondle the plastic

in person, so I can compare it to the Tamiya Spitfire I have in my stash.

Just my two-penneth......

Engine colors are rather dubious... Engine block must be in gloss grey including the compressor zone. All the cooling sytem tubes are in grey-green not bronze. For a 1/24th kit the detail level of the engine is - at my opinion - quite poor. Compare with pictures of the real thing!

V.P.

this kit was built 100% out of box, bearing in mind all the parts here are plastic they are really pushing how fine you can make parts and still reliably get them out of the mould tool without breaking them. of course there is loads of room for super detailing but thats not what this build is about. can you show us any comparable kits with better detail?

I look forward to seeing your efforts at this superb kit. :whistle:

i think spencer has done a superb job and should be congratulated! :goodjob:

One hell of a nice job Spence.

If I'd got the spare akkers I'd definitely have one.

I could do with a time machine to roll it back to the 70's,my dear Mum and Dad or one of my Aunt and Uncles who were in the

wartime RAF would've bought me one for sure.

I had the big Spit and 109 one Christmas,the P-51D another,the Hurri another,the Harrier another,the last one

was the 190,never got the Stuka,but there you go.

Oh BTW,all the pictures I have of wartime Merlins and Griffons show 'em to be predominantly black.

Retro Track and Air do the BBMF's engines in the correct colours(we know what the BBMF are like for being as accurate as poss)

and guess what?,yep,they're predominantly black.

Mark :thumbsup2:

Fabulous model Spence.

Hmm, isn't it great that the latest Airfix offering is being compared with Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire Mk IX in terms of quality? Doesn't that speak volumes about Airfix's latest not-so-baby-sized baby?

Phil

Thank you so much for posting the WIP pics and these completed shots.

I will be looking for the Magazine when it hits my LHS.

Fantastic work.

Fantastic kit.

Has anyone seen the extremely slow ship these are on???

Edited by Av8fan

Well Spence, again you've produced a superb representation of a subject - and to a deadline! I, frankly, don't give a flying whatsit whether it's 100% accurate; it was built for a review of the kit, correct? Lovely, lovely work, and an inspiration, yet again. Thank you!

Now, all I have to do is find the damned magazine here in the Brew City... <sigh> ;).

Nice build, but are there any pitfalls?

No ammo feed for 303's or is that a forgotten item in the rush to build it for the deadline?

I do hope this isn't another 'wait till you read it in the magazine' type post.

W

Engine colors are rather dubious... Engine block must be in gloss grey including the compressor zone. All the cooling sytem tubes are in grey-green not bronze.

V.P.

Absolute twaddle; wartime Merlins were painted black, because it was felt that it would be the best "colour" to show up oil leaks (it wasn't.) Paint (hot) coolant tubes (whatever colour,) and the paint will burn off. You only need to look at the pipes on a flying Spitfire, for that to be obvious.

Edgar

An absolutely brilliant build, very well done on all counts, one word to describe it - superb

The Merlin engines I worked on were all painted black, but thats not to say that every Merlin was that colour.

Des.

Cut Throat Abdul of IPMS Mogadishu has been building several and he reckons that the tailfin is too short.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

seriously, cracking build..really good work!! not my period but i know good work when i see it!! (the Mossie that is :))

Fantastic build Spence, well worth the hour it has taken me to download the pictures from my Chinese hotel room! I look forward to the feature, and indeed the kit.

Really? I have no doubt that it has great potential for super detailing, but this is an OOB review, which to be honest is where I would imagine Airfix's sales are - although we tend to be 'keen' on BM (and other forums) we do not make up the mass market, who probably have the best 1/24 kit available to them. I think others have countered the statement on colours well enough...

Dan