Airfix 1/24 Mosquito - Complete at Last!

Hi Everyone - I hope that you're all well today! :)

Well, here we go, some final shots of my Mosquito as built from the extarordinary Airfix 1/24 kit. Though I still have some final details to add (ammo feeds, actuators in the bomb bay, flaps at the back of the radiator troughs, rockets and a light or two...) this is the model as it will appear in the February issue of MAW. Photos really can't capture the sheer presence of this kit (the Tamiya 1/32 Spit is about the same size as one of the wings..!) or the features that it incorporates - it is, to all intents and purposes, magnificent.

I hope you enjoy the final shots as much as I've enjoyed putting it and them, together.

Now, if you don't mind, I need some sleep... :sleeping:

Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

4162516629_4ce360c59e_b.jpg

4162518189_165ef9ac34_b.jpg

4162517643_fa2b4e7e6a_b.jpg

4162517185_0498ef2284_b.jpg

4162519011_be3b5c9306_b.jpg

Great build Spence, the finished article looks just the biz. :goodjob:

NOW i know what the 6' glass cabinet you were 'taking for a walk'

on Sunday evening at Telford is for! :evil_laugh:

:cheers:

Paul

4162517185_0498ef2284_b.jpg

Engine colors are rather dubious... Engine block must be in gloss grey including the compressor zone. All the cooling sytem tubes are in grey-green not bronze. For a 1/24th kit the detail level of the engine is - at my opinion - quite poor. Compare with pictures of the real thing!

ydu85016611.jpg

mosquito-407.jpg

V.P.

It looks alright to me. Yes, lots of wires and fiddly bits could be added, still, and I'm certain for some it will happen that way. But Spence has done a clean, tidy and simply artistic job on the finish of the thing. Makes me long for the kit, myself.

I agree that something as well represented as the Mossie begs for the super detailers touch, but one must admit that this one is quite nice.

Especially when it came from one of the more cluttered benches on the planet... :)

4153867176_fc705383e4_b.jpg

Edited by dahut

Model looks great. Pics could be a bit smaller for those if us who work on a larger resolution!

Please dont judge Spence's engines on one aircraft you saw ina museum, you never know what was done to it. A lot of british machines had black engines.

Also I have seen at least 3 different types of exhaust stubs on mossie merlins. Airfix have produced a kit which will look good OOB without going to town, leaves loads of room for the aftermarkey guys. Personally I build with all the pannels buttoned up and sometimes resent paying for bits I dont use.

Mossie9.jpg

Merlin2.jpg

Merlin3.jpg

Julien

Engine colors are rather dubious... Engine block must be in gloss grey including the compressor zone. All the cooling sytem tubes are in grey-green not bronze. For a 1/24th kit the detail level of the engine is - at my opinion - quite poor. Compare with pictures of the real thing!

ydu85016611.jpg

mosquito-407.jpg

V.P.

Hey Fella!

I think that you might find that not only are those pictures of what appear to be restored aircraft, they both show different engines from two completely different marks of Mosquito to those replicated by Airfix - they both seem to be from late mark, 'two-stage' Merlin powered aircraft. That aside, even if they were of FB.IV Mossies, how do you think that all of that detail could be replicated in plastic..?

Still - thanks anyway for your comments!

Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

I was discussing this with Spence only yesterday, so I knew the finished article was only moments away - but my god what a model that is, and what an incredible job you've done Sir.

Magnificent!!

Hi Spence,

Great job with your model of the best MRCA before the Harrier came along!!! If that's what people can do with the basic kit, imagine what the super-detailers can do with it...........! Oooooooooooo, I can't wait!

Well done too to Airfix, my Mossie lands on the morning of the 25th. Eee... It'll be like being a lad in the 70s all over again, when the latest Airfix 24th scale model came along it was in my stocking the following Christmas - thanks Mum and Dad! Though, sadly, it's just Dad this time...

Cheers,

Nick

Wonderful build of what looks to be a wonderful kit. Well done Spence - brilliant job as usual.

I have to say, I think we in the Britmodeler community are being very well served with the stunning Tamiya Spitfire, a resurgent Airfix with this amazing Mosquito and then Revell with what will hopefully be the killer Typhoon. Follow that up with a Trumpeter that wants to get serious about accuracy (detail feedback requested on the Jaguar and the Harrier GR9) this is better than any time I have known.

All we need now is a 1/32nd Buccaneer a 1/32nd Brit Phantom, find out what Paul Fisher is promising as his next 1/32nd British twin and someone to produce an accurate 1/32nd injection E.E. Lightning (oh well - that one looks like being too much to ask).

Kind regards,

In a word fantastic , what a great kit , i personaly think Airfix are going from strengh to strengh with their recent releases such as the Canberas , Spitfires and now this Mosquito.

flipping brilliant. Well done Airfix i look forward to your future releases :goodjob: