* Bell X-22A

marty_hopkirk

Given the speed I build at and the time I can commit to my hobby on occasions I'm not the fastest builder on the planet - but here goes with my first group build entry. I have been tinkering with this kit on and off for a while [mainly cleaning up resin] so at least I have got ahead. I very rarely model in 72, much prefering the one true scale, 48. But, as there is nothing Bell X-22 in quarter scale, therefore I'm left with this. I have always found X-22 an attractive looking machine with a Gerry Anderson feel to it and I have a penchant for Anigrand and X craft kits, therefore with Erwin letting me in, it is worth a go.

X-22 was one of Anigrand's first kits, if not their first, its been on catalogue for a while and been through a few iterations and recasts. This version has the rotor mounts cast-in the fan ducts. The kit come with a very nice decal sheet and an instruction sheet. The box shot below, is a curates egg as it states the kit is a 22A - the box art shows a line drawing of X-22B and an image of 22A, for the record if built from the box the kit makes up into the B model.

Apologies for the quality of the photography, wielding and operating a camera is not my forte and this is not helped when I went to look for the better of my two cameras, it had gone "belly-up" in the intervening period since I last used it and I had to resort to my cheap and cheerful one - therefore they are not best of pictures. If I get chance I will post better ones, if I can.

I have been using Jay Miller's mighty tome The X-Planes X-1 to X-45 as the reference along with what exists on the internet.

379020334.jpg

379020338.jpg

The kit as previously mentioned is itself is a 22B [the most successful of the two machines], which is defined by the prominent laminar flow intake shrouds mounted on the front of the turbine nacelles. I wanted to build the A variant, which to me it this is the better proportioned and the most aesthetically pleasing of the machines manufactured - if not in reality not as sucessful as the later machine. The Anigrand representation of turbine intake shrouds are not that convincing , so they had to go. Therefore I have already cut these off and drilled out the turbine intakes and profiled the nacelles leading edges to something akin to what exists on the A prototype. I have also fixed them the rear wing. I had to do a bit more reprofiling of the nacelles to get a neat fix to the wing, I fixed them with Zap-a-Gap CA as well and touched up with a Milliput. Some air bubbles were present on the wing casting and where addressed also, they where mainly on the edge of wing tips. The whole wing was given a light dressing of with aluminium oxide 143 cloth.

379021935.jpg

379020580.jpg

I joined the two fuselage halfs together - both parts needed a slight amount of manipulation in boiling water to make them precisely a square box section, they fixed together with Zap-a-Gap. The top and bottom panel lines where rescribed, with my trusty Squadron scriber and Dymo tape. The back section of the fuselage where the wing locates, was a bit out of kilter and needed building-up on one side with a small amount of Milliput to ensure the wing seated square to the fuselage. The whole thing was given a coating of Tamiya surfacer/primer and lightly dressed with dry 800 and 1200 grit wet and dry.

379020526.jpg

The nose gear opening is split between the fuselage and cockpit/nose section and the side walls do not line through - this needed the nose section opening making smaller to line through with the fuselage section. I did this with Milliput The ducted fans needed and agressive clean up and filling as there was an ugly mould step present on the inner face and a couple of largish air bubbles to address - nothing special needed other than a bit of elbow grease.

379021945.jpg

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Done a little more diddling today - concentrated on the ducted fans. By installing structural bracing not present in the kit. I did a bit more tidying up with aluminium oxide cloth.

379063123.jpg

I added the additional bracing by drilling through the outer casing of the duct with a long drill bit. The bit was long enough to drill into the rotor hub. I then cut lengths of brass rod. The rod was pushed two thirds through the duct casing then, added a small blob of Zap-a-gap on the hole in the hub and pushed the brass rod home. Whe cured I put a small knob of Zap-a-gap on the oputside face of the ducts and tidied up with Milliput. When cured, it was dressed up. I also drilled the locating point as well to allow fixing to the wing and fuselage, which can be used in the interim to hold the units when spraying. The photo makes it look a lot scruffier than it it is in reality they are, given its a scruffy looking phase anyway - next step is a dusting of Tamiya primer and the panel lines rescribing, I'm waiting on some more Dymo tape arriving from the RNIB.

I have also fixed the cockpit section to the fuselage and I'm currently tidying the join up in sections, with Milliput.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

:welcome:

Very tidy work on those fans, this will be one to watch I'm sure.

I'm glad you think so, thanks. As previously mentioned they won't look the part until I have laid some primer down - which might tonight. Hopefully my photography will improve to show my models how they really look.

Marty...

I have been tinkering away over the last few evenings, even though one could be excused to say I have not, as there is no real evidence of tangible progress. Hence no images this time around.

I have been stuck in an endless a cycle of dusting the ducted fan units with primer, touching up with Milliput and abrading back with 1200 grade W&D to get the finish to my satisfaction - this is akward given the complex arrangement of the units, the sway braces an rotor hub is on intergral moulding with the casing. Given its a natural metal and dayglo red finish it needs to be a good finish. Once I'm satisified I will lay down the dayglo, followed by gloss black as the undercoat in an effort to a nice natural metal finish.

The Dymo tape has arrived from the RNIB and when the above is complete I will be in a position to rescribe the panel lines.

I have also been working on getting a seamless join between the fuselage and cockpit section, Milliput and abrading again - I'm getting there with that slowly and that should be a neat finish.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Starting to make progress: The front two ducted units have been sprayed gloss black - waiting for that to cure now, its going to be a least 48 hours before I attempt to lay down the metalcote. The rear units have a coat of dayglo red on the end of winglets, bit of overspray to tidy up with 1200 W&D. Dayglo is a real devil to get dense enough without getting it to thick, even on top of a white undercoat.

The fuselage is getting to a point where it just needs some rescribing around the join between the join of the cockpit section and fuselage. Then I can turn my attention to the wing and fix that to the fuselage section - then it should be looking like something approaching Bell X-22A.

I should be in a position to post some pictures mid week.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Still making progress albeit very slowly, mainly down to getting the required quality of finish I require. The front fan units are nearly there I'm recreating the panel effect by using small squares from Microscale stainless steel and steel decal sheet tended with Micro Sol and Set. Its a very subtle effect - almost too subtle and I'm not sure its worth the effort. The rear fans I'm waiting for the dayglo-red to cure before I mask-up and lay down the gloss back and onto the bare metal finish. The fuselage is just about ready to take the rear wing. Photo's in the next day or two, hopefully.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still in this, although my lack of postings suggest otherwise. I did say I was slow - I make the proverbial snail look quick.

I'm diddling along quite nicely. The fan units took far longer to get to a position where I was satisfied. The complex shape and one piece moulding and the four disperate colour finish made it harder going than I anticipated - there are still elements of them, that I think could be better. But overall, they are 'there'.

A rear fan unit: Back front and top.

381331850.jpg

381331606.jpg

381335504.jpg

Front fan units

381331845.jpg

381331600.jpg

381332609.jpg

I have also made progress on the fuselage, cockpit section and the rear wing are now one piece. First 'round of Milliput and and abrading carried out on the wing section. This will probably on have one more 'round and and a bit of rescribing to reinstate some lost detail and a dusting of primer and the jobs a good 'un.

For some reason Anigrand scribed the outline of the fine on the top wing - this was duly filled and abraded back. I drilled out the respective fixing points for the fan units, fin as well as for the undercarriage and the extended pitot tube located in the nose. I'm using small brass rod as the fixing element - I was hoping the fan units would be positionable, but the fixing is too slack and the will be fixed in due course. I just need to choose what pitch to set them at on the finished model.

381331822.jpg

The next piece of work is to fix and prime the fin, which will be followed by work on the cockpit internals. I'm hoping the next phase of the build will speed up.

I stuck the fan units onto the fuselage for effect, I was quite suprised at the size - its far larger than one imagines when starting out.

381331739.jpg

I read lots of criticism of Anigrand, here and there, but given this is one of their earlier kits it's more than adequate in every respect, given the normal resin caveats.

As one can see my photography skills have not improved - but I have come to the view my camera is not assisting either. My excuse is the high shine finish.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Coming along well, a highly strange bird indeed.

As for Anigrand, I treat them a bit like Trumpeter... good subjects, often a little expensive... sometimes errors to the point where you wonder what references they used (if any!). I've enjoyed both I've done so far, more to do and more to purchase!

• 3 weeks later...

This looks great, loads of work gone into it and the result so far looks very nice!

I'm with you on Anigrand, needs a lot of TLC to come up to standard, but considering the range and type of subjects, it's worth the hassle!

Al

Might be able post some images Sunday.

Progress:

The fin is on an primed. The cockpit area has had a coat haze grey. The instrument panel and coming is complete; sprayed Halfords primer grey, the face was masked on the top and bottom of the coming was spray matt black - Anigrand supply a nice and surprisingly accurate decal for the face, certainly OK for 72 scale. The seats saw a coat an overall coat of Halford's primer grey and the backs and head rest where paint British Scarlet [a dullish matt red] and further treated to a dry brush of the same colour mixed with a drop matt white.

I Found some spare Eduard pre-coloured etched blue and grey 72 belts from the ubiquitous spares box. The control columns came from the spares box also - a 72 H-19, I think.

Starting to 'get there', I hope.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

As promised, pics of work carried out to date - once again they exhibit my woeful photography skills.

382394062.jpg

382394067.jpg

I was not entirely satisified with the cockpit finish - partly down to me choosing the wrong type of paint [in hindsight] an the finishing surface being a little rough. X-craft suprisingly had generally very basic cockpit cockpit layouts, X-22 was no different this give a decent idea of what it was like.

Next is to attach the glazed parts which is a vacform piece.

Marty...

It's looking increasingly likely that I will not finish this in time, although it may not be far off.

I spent a few hours this week fixing the vac canopy glazing, blending it into the fuselage - that is done and went well and the canopy is masked ready for the the top coat going down. Before that I need to get some more primer on to accept the dayglo red. This is the reason it could be a late finish, as the dayglo red takes an absolute age cure before I can mask it prior to accepting the bare metal finish.

...anyway I can spend some time on it today and may even get around to laying down the first dayglo coat.

Marty...

• 2 weeks later...

Increasingly, likely not to finish has turned to almost certainly will not finish by next weekend.

I have both a full weekend this and next. I have sprayed front part day-glo red. It is a very tricky to colour to lay down. I have got it to a point where I'm satisfied with the finish of the day-glo. As well as being a cow-bag to spray, it takes an eternity to cure properly. It has now been curing for 4/5 days. Ideally, I would like to give it at least 10 days before masking it. But in what little time I have today I will have a go at masking on the basis I can bring an defects back by the use of Future. I'm sure there will some tidying up around the canopy after the masking is removed and that will be time consuming.

By the end of the end date of the GB, I a least hope to have the metallic finish on and the fuselage substantially complete - from there it should be pretty quick to complete. I'll move this across to WiP thread to close out the build.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

As predicated I have not completed. I have had very little time this week and not much the previous one either. The day-glo proved very tricky to get right and I had to lay down more coats than I would have ideally liked. Anyway, that's done. But it needs some enlongated cure time. As I have run out of time, I'm going to leave for a least a couple of weeks before masking and applying the metal finish. I will report progress elsewhere.

Cheers

Marty...