1:72 Revell B-1B Lancer

timmah

Hi

I'll join in the fun with this as my first entry....

PC020356.jpg

Forgotten about and found in the loft.

More progress soon....

Thanks

Tim.

Edited by timmah

That's gonna be a biggy Tim

It's huge! God only knows how big the 1:48 version of this kit is! I think the reason for putting it the loft in the first place was "where the hell am I going to put this when it's built"

love the banner BTW, mind if I pinch it?

Be my guest, original graphic stolen from Paul(thank you!) and tweaked by me.

Tim.

Hi

Today I got my finger out and got on with it!

I rescribed the fuselage which turned out to be quite a long process, attached the tail and engines.

PC050345.jpg

The burner cans supplied in the kit looked nothing like the real thing at all so I thought about improving them.

As supplied in the kit

PC050346.jpg

I looked at using some copper plumbing fittings as they were already a better shape but they turned out to be a little bit small so I decided to use these as supports to build my cans around.

I took some 0.3mm plastic sheet and cut a strip the right length and width. I then scored this with my sciber both horizontally and then vertically, I added some wash to highlight what had been scribed

PC050350.jpg

I then wrapped this around the copper plumbing piece to hold it in shape whilst I glued it and added some detail pieces, the engine face was then glued into the end.

PC050355.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the results, I've done three so far so just the one left to do.

And here's the results of my efforts..............

Kit part fitted

PC050353.jpg

The real thing (image was taken by Steve Bamford and is from www.aircraftresourcecenter.com’s website)

sheb0101.jpg

And my scratch built one just waiting to be painted

PC050354.jpg

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance

Tim.

Great work on the cans Tim, Looks so easy! I have 2 B-1s to do and have been waiting for someone to reissue some resin cans. Looks Like I might have a crack at scratch building my own. How long did it take to get one done?

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments, they are very simple and easy to do once I had sorted the first one out.

The first one took around 20mins, getting the measurements right took the most time, the others took less than 10mins each.

Although I think they are better than the ones offered in the kit they are still quite basic, I hope that a lick of paint will improve them further. If I was doing them again I would try to get more of the detail correct.

Tim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a backward step but progress non the less........

Found this pictures on Aircraft Resource Centre and realised I had made the exhaust nozzles far too deep

sheb0121.jpg

With this in mind and the thought that I could try to do a better job of them so I started again.

Kit part shortened

PC140345.jpg

I then built the nozzles in the same way as before but added more sections to be more accurate, and here's a finished new one next to the original one.

PC140346.jpg

Much more like it.

I then tried to attach the canopy and had a nightmare with it, kept making a mess of the Klear dip and had to strip it back 3 times, finally got a finish I was happy with, stuck it down with CA and it fogged? I didn't think it fogged if it was "Kleared"?? so after another attempt and a bit of fairing in, I have this. All masked up and ready for a primer coat of Mr Surfacer 1000.

PC200347.jpg

After a quick blast of Mr Surfacer 1000 and a mammoth pre shade, here's how it sits

PC230348.jpg

Just waiting to start the top coats.

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Edited by timmah

Nice scratch building on the jet pipes. does it use the same engines as the Eagle?

Nice scratch building on the jet pipes. does it use the same engines as the Eagle?

Thank you! I'm really not sure if they are the same engines as used on the Eagle??

ooo, thats coming along nicely. my little brother has just got himself one of these, apart from the exhausts, any other nasty little pitfalls?

And, Thank you too..........

From what I can gather from a quick search on the internet, this model is based on the cancelled B-1A prototype and even the kit's nozzles are correct for that aircraft!

The kit goes together quite well, the only issues I've found in the kit are as follows:

• There is a large step in front of the canopy which is not correct, I simply sanded it down till it was flush with the canopy.
  • The instructions call for you to paint the rear cockpit area and seats but don't bother as you can't see any of it when the fuselage is together.
  • Don't forget to add the nose weight or it will be a tail sitter
  • The engine pods/fuselage join leave some small gaps that I've filled with Mr Surfacer.
  • The tail fin/fuselage join leaves a bit of a gap, I just filled with Mr surfacer 500 and then wiped it smooth with some IPA.
  • It's a large beastie so take time when putting the fuselage together so the step between the two halves is minimised
  • The model has only 2 bomb bays but the actual aircraft has 3, I thought about changing it but time is too short so I'm not changing it.

I also filled the holes which are supposed to represent navigation lights near the wing and rescribed the panel lines as I lost a lot of them smoothing the side join, it's a really smooth aircraft so I don't think it would matter if the fuselage was sanded to remove the panel lines altogether but the wings do have engraved lines.

Regards

Tim.

Well after saying I wasn't going to change the bomb bays........I did!

Not a very complex job, flat piece of plastic sheet scribed out and glued into place, I also shortened the rear bomb bay as this was way too large.

P1030008.jpg

And as shown under the first coat of paint.

P1040010.jpg

There's lots of aeriels and strakes on the real aircraft which I would like to add but I don't think time will allow, we shall see......

Regards

Tim.

Disaster struck this morning and having spent most of the day sorting out the Shadow I've called time on this one, there's not much left to do but I can't face it right now.

It started when I tried to put a coat of Klear on and used quite a large brush to apply it, I've never been a fan of applying Klear before decaling but I couldn't wait for my normal varnish to dry as time was tight so I thought I would give it a second try. I put far too much on and made a complete mess of it, I then tried to correct it and have made it even worse. I was rusing to get it finished and I have really made a mess of it, I may have to strip it right back and start again to get the finish right.

I feel really peeved about today, I know this wasn't my best effort from the start but I was very pleased with how the Shadow had turned out only to go and spoil both models in one day...

Oh Well, every day is a school day and lesson learned about rushing to try and finish something.

I'll decide what to do over the next few days

Best regards

Tim.

dont totally give up, have a break take a kitkat and crack on! you have made a cracking job upto now, mine was given to my son to play with and use as a target fro his soldiers