BF 110 E

]Hi Folks;

Been a while since I posted on this subject, but I'm back at it and nearing the end. Since my last posts, the armoured windsheild has been installed, the kit part replaced with clear acetate (thanks ChukW for the tip), the struts, doors and door closing wires have been scratch built.

IMG_0009.jpg

The wheels were put on, but had trouble with the port wheel. The axle would bend under the pressure and the wheel would bend to look in line with the strut. To remedy this problem, I twisted the wheel off, and placed a brass wire in the centre of the wheel, and drilled into the strut as well. Worked like a charm. I also started working on the windows, and here I have had nothing but trouble from the begining. As I removed the masks, I found the paint would peel off the coat of future which had first been applied. This caused a fair amount of displeasure. Having to retouch all the frames with a paint brush, followed by a fair amount of scraping back.

I also worked on the weathering by adding paint chipping, but down to the primer coat of RLM 02 which is more subtle.

004.jpg

You can notice the fuel spillage from the fueling ports, again, I went for the subtle, and did it with future. This gives it a clean "wet" look, which I find looks realistic. If the observer finds this, he finds himself to ask himself, what else have I missed and look closer.

IMG_0010.jpg

My lovely wife has let me borrow her petit point specialty lamp, it has a very good ligth, and a fantastic magnifier. Can't live without it now...

006.jpg

007.jpg

Sorry about the photobucket problem, this will solve itself in a couple of days...

-Al

Edited by Alain De Loor

Hi Guys;

Well here we are on a Friday night, not too much on TV, so on to the table...

First I had to go back to the cockpit glass doors... I did not like the result, and though the paint was going to be scraped back from the panes to the framing, but it would still not look too nice.

IMG_0017.jpg

So, First I tried to sand the pane down, and apply aluminum tape, but that did not work out too good, and for one thing, the aluminum tape does not stick too well. So I used a clear acetate instead. It came from the platic package in which my new Seagate external drive.

IMG_0020.jpg

I used copper foil instead. It is very thin, and sticks very well. This tape is used to make stain glass windows. This tape wraps around the edge of the glass, then lead is applied to joing the pieces.

IMG_0022.jpg

I used a wider piece at the top to act as the hinge part and stick it to the edge of the cockpit.

IMG_0023.jpg

At the same time, I took off the glass cage and sanded the lower edge as it was not sitting properly on the right, forward side. Next comes the painting...

Cheers and thanks for looking!!

-Al

Saturday, a beautiful day out there but as the wife is out, I thought I would do a little painting...

First I worked on the engine exhaust trails, using Tamyia brown

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

And below...

IMG_0027.jpg

I added some diluted black to darken the brown, I do not go as far as shooting straight black however, but really close to it...

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Lastly, I applied some burnt umber to add footwear pattern aroung the cockpit area. As the black suits worked that area to fuel the plane and carry out maintenance, I also noticed the most wear came from the front of the plane.

IMG_0031.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

-Al

• 2 weeks later...

FINISHED

At last.. Got the last bits in this morning, including the belly arial and antenna wires, decals on the stbd engine, some additional and subtle paint on the cockpit access panels, and aileron counter balances.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

This has been a most interesting build, though it took me some time to get it done to my liking. I hope it meets you approval.

Happy holidays to all

-Al