Roden 1/48 SE5A

T-Tango

OK guys looking for suggestions here, a great deal of these PE parts are so small it's unbelievable, also you require 2 or 3 parts to make up eg. the control column, dials etc. obviously CA is out of the question, cos before you could get them positioned correctly it will have gone off, I was thinking of either Klear or perhaps varnish to stick them together, what do you think?

Edited by T-Tango

I was thinking of either Klear or perhaps varnish to stick them together, what do you think?

Klear is great for assembling the instrument panel 'sandwiches' that you sometimes get with etched sets, but for metal on metal I'm not so sure. Probably ok for dials which just have to sit there, but depending on how the column goes together it may not be suitable as it will have no real strength if the contact area is small. How about slow setting (30 second) superglue - Slo-Zap I think it's called, or 5 minute epoxy (not tried the latter yet though). You probably know, but if it has enough flat surface area normal superglue will bond etch instantly giving no 'wriggle room' (hence my stealth pilot will have to tilt his head slightly to look through his HUD!!)

A trick I picked up recently is to use a small blob of blu-tack on a cocktail stick for handling and positioning tiny parts. Worked a treat for positioning the vents on my Stealth, just don't get glue on the 'tack as it bonds like a bugger (won't showing any pics of that particular vent!).

Looking great so far, etch can be a right pain, but the results, as you are showing are well worth the effort :thumbsup2: .

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Neat job with the PE so far. :thumbsup2:

Klear is OK, but the bond doesn't take kindly to knocking about. Like Steve I would recommend the Blu-Tac on a cocktail stick for holding the small bits and a slowish setting CA.

I must admit I find PE one of those mood things. If I am in the mood, I can do it, otherwise it appears impossible and I have to walk away.

Good luck

Grant