TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

:yahoo::yahoo: Well after much delay I have finally made a start on the project. The plan is to open as many panels that I have reference on both to get lots more detail into the model and to draw the eye away from some of the kit's inaccuracies by breaking up the out line. One thing that has immediately become apparant isn that my idea that this would involve less work than the road General Melchett has gone down was pants. By cutting out the bay for the sideways looking radar I ensured that the kit supplied cockpit tub won't fit thus necesitating a scratchbuilt cockpit. I have also cut out the starboard equipment bay and the panel for the onboard Palouste starter unit.TSR Joe advises me that XR220 is fitted with this unit. Cutting out the equipment bay necesitates modifying the nose wheel bay to fit, deep joy! Anyway, here are the first pictures........

101_0880.jpg

101_0879.jpg

101_0878.jpg

101_0882.jpg

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Equipment bay boxed in. I feel much better now its been tidied up. On to the Palouste bay next, not tonight trhough I'm done in.

101_0883.jpg

Martin

:popcorn:

Nice project Martin will watch this with interest.

Are you doing it in White & 'clean' or a Whif with tanks and things?

Adrian

I'm doing XR220 in the white prototype scheme on this kit. the next one will be XR222 with the prototype reconnaisance pack. I then might go on to do an early "what if" scheme with my third kit. If, however, I can scource a 1/72 SAM reconnaissance pack I will do XR222 in 1/72 scale and do the spare 1/48 scale kit as an Empire Test Pilots School "what if"

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Having had today off work I have mostly spent the time swearing at the kit nose undercarriage bay. Having opened up and boxed in the equipment bay it became apparant that there was no way that the kit part would ever fit. So, having grafted the recesses for the nose wheels onto a new bay roof, the rest of the bay was constructed, the Palouste bay boxed in and a new equipment bay to replace the one that got trashed earlier today while trying to make the kit nose wheel bay fit! :shithappens: The master plan is to get all the areas I plan to superdetail cut out and boxed in before commencing the actual detailing process. The way things are going so far it will be a toss up between General Melchett and myself as to who gets through the most plastic card on our projects. Anyone care to open a book on it?

101_0884.jpg

Martin

Latest update. Being unsatisfied with the quality of my modelling of the cockpit bulkheads I decided to replace them. The fit is now better than the picture shows as the fuselage is not taped together. I have also opened up the fuselage vents and made a start on the bomb bay and main wheel wells. I have drilled out lightening holes in the frames and filled the holes in ther bomb bay walls. Although on test fitting this unit seems to be a good fit, some genius has placed a load of ejector pin marks on all the detailed surfaces rather than on the rear surfaces which will never be seen and are as smooth as a baby's bottom (which is more than can be said for my bottom!). This is going to result in a very difficult filling operation to lose them without destroying detail. The inside of the bombay walls are devoid of any detail and will need some adding to make this area look convincing.

101_0886.jpg

101_0885.jpg

101_0888.jpg

101_0889.jpg

101_0890.jpg

Martin

Edited by martin hale

A bit more progress, trouble is life keeps getting in the way of modelling so not as much as I would have liked. I replaced the observer's instrument panel as the fit of the kit one is poor with gaps round the edge. I have also built new side consols and begun opening appropriate holes in the cocpit bulkheads and equipment bay walls. Day off tomorrow so with a bit of luck I will be able to gat a good session in; famous last words! Incidently I have noticed a large drop down door to the rear of the main undercarriage bays. Does anyone have any idea of what the inside of this bay looks like?

101_0892.jpg

101_0895.jpg

101_0894.jpg

Martin

Thanks Ski. I'm putting a lot of effort into getting the various openings in the kit just right before I start throwing a load of expensive after market extras at it. I have an obsession for neatness in modelling as in my opinion a model is only as good as the sum total of its parts. Therefore, try and treat every part and procedure as a project in its own right. This does mean that progrss can appear slow at times but in this case it is a labour of love so I don't really mind how long it takes so long as I end up with a good looking TSR2. BTW my wife says its a pity that this obsession for tidyness does not extend to the rest of my life! Still you can't have it all can you? Working on the IP and coaming next. If I canget the coaming correctly facetted, drop the IP down a bit and raise the windscreen to its correct height I think this will improve the look of this area of the kit no end.

Martin

Today I have been wrestling with reshaping the cockpit coaming and getting the cockpit sills raised so that the windscreen will fit properly. I thought it would be a breeze but it ended up driving me to drink! Still it all looks OK now so on to the next can of worms at the weekend. This kit is beginning to send me potty; no matter nobdy on this forum will notice the difference anyway.

101_0896.jpg

101_0897.jpg

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Felt like doing something a bit more constructive today as opposed to the seemingly endless hacking of bits off the kit. With that in mind I decided to start putting the equipment bay racking in place. I shall make the various boxes a a later date when I get onto the fine detailing stage.

101_0899.jpg

101_0898.jpg

Martin

• Like 1

A short update: progress has been a bit limited this week due assorted domestic crisies. However I have managed to add some slivers of plastic card to part 25B of the kit, the fairing forward of the wing. This is one of the few poorly fitting main parts of the kit as it sits too low to meet the upper wing and fuselage. A sliver or two of plastic at the front and back raises this part to the correct level. Another area that requires attention is the rear bulkhead of the main undercarriage bays, this has gaps up yo 1/8 inch wide around it and needs attention for two reasons. Firstly, even with the undercarriage legs in place the gap is obvious. Secondly, if I do get enough information to detail the bays behind the undercarriage I wont be wanting a see through look. I hope to get this and some more of the cockpit details tackled tomorrow on my day off. On the whole though a dry run shows the bulk of the kit to be very good fitwise.

Martin

101_0900.jpg

101_0901.jpg

101_0902.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Hard work but sure it'll be worth it once you get to put such a detailed model on the display shelf Martin. Will tune in again tomorrow evening to catch your progress :)

That's great work Martin. A friend of mine produced some blanking plates for me to cure the "see through" effect. He doesn't know it yet but he's giong to produce three more sets for my others!

Tony :clif:

Right today's update. I managed to get the rear walls of the main wheel wells sorted out as shown in the accompanying pictures. This took longer than anticipated so I only managed to get a little bit more done on the rear cockpit. Still theres always the weekend. I have established that the bay aft of the main wheel wells contained the engine accessory gearbox. Anybody out there know what this item looks like on a Bristol Olympus? I would imagine that the Concorde items are pretty much similar. Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures but I seem to be having the Devil's own job trying to photograph white plastic card on the white kit plastic.

Martin

101_0902.jpg

101_0904.jpg

101_0906.jpg

101_0905.jpg

101_0907.jpg

101_0909.jpg

Latest progress: I finished the basic configuring of the cockpit layouts and decided to open up the port engine accessory bay. Thats going well but this evening I discovered that the upper airbrake inserts don't fit. More scratch building. I don't know why but this discovery has left me somewhat discouraged. :( I thought I was about to get onto the interesting detailing bit.

Martin

101_0911.jpg

101_0912.jpg

101_0913.jpg