TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

This morning I fitted the test equipment in the weapons bay. Last night I washed and highlighted it in preparation for todays fitting. One aspect of this that had been worrying me was how I was going to plumb the test pallets in in such a small space. The solution I came up, or an adaption of it, with might prove useful to others on their projects, so I thought I would illustrate it here.

Step 1 was to cement the various wire into holes previously drilled into the ducts on the sides of the weapons bay, thus:

101_2312.jpg

Step 2 was to thread, NOT cement, the opposite ends of the cables into previously prepared hole in the end of the equipment pallets thus:

101_2313.jpg

Step 3 was to place some super glue gel onto the supporting beams for the pallets. The pallets themselves were then pushed down the cables almost as far as they would go and then pused down onto the beams, thus:

101_2314.jpg

Repeated for each pallet this gives this result:

101_2315.jpg

Hope all taht is clear.

Following the above process I then proceeded to start the detail painting of the nose wheel bay. There is still some piping to be done in the bay prior to fitting the undercarriage leg.

101_2317.jpg

Thanke for looking

Edited by martin hale

I wnet shopping today and got some more batteries for the camera and so present the work I have been up to over the past few days. I have been mostly blocking in ther basic colours and have started the painstaking job of painting all the piping in the undercarriage bays. I am going to have to be very careful as regards washes in the undercarriage bays as these are in almost pristine condition on XR220; unsurprisingly really as the most she ever did was a few fast taxi runs. It would be really interesting to know if she did lift briefly from the runway during these. I know this is a common practice prior to a first flight to get a feeling for the controls and she was due to fly on the afternoon of the cancellation.

Anyway thanks for looking

Martin

101_2303.jpg

101_2304-1.jpg

101_2305-1.jpg

Had a look through Damien Burke's book, including all of the flight test logs, and I don't see any mention of XR220 lifting off the runway in any of its taxi runs. After the cancellation, she was used for static noise tests for a while, and never really restored like XR222. So her condition today is authentic.

Will you be adding the "bonkers" (explosive inertia exciters or lateral thrust units) to the fuselage? They were fitted to XR220, along with several accelerometers, for the flutter test program. The bonkers look like chamfered plates applied to various spots on the airframe (wingtips, fin, and tailplanes). These are often described by some authors as ECM modules, which they are not. Should be very easy to add with styrene card stock.

Cheers,

Bill

Oh, by the way, simply stunning, amazing, incredible, unbelievable, precision craftsmanship. Let me go get my dictionary so I can find some more superlatives!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks guys, you are too kind.

Bill, yes, when I come to add the bits and pieces to the airframe exterior all this will be going on. The only departure I have made from the configuration XR220 is in today is to add the APU as it was very much part of the intended fit for the aircraft and I was so taken with it that it was always going to be part of the build from day one. On the actual aircraft the bay is fitted with more test equipment which, from photographs, seems to consist mostly of an empty rack and some wiring. Not very interesting. I was going to fit a couple of WE177s in the bomb bay but subsequently decided that, given the two display options I am considering from our little competition, the test equipment would give me greater flexibility of choice.

I memtioned the bit about lifting from the runway as part of the fast taxi runs as I know it is common practice with a prototype prior to taking it into the air but do not know if it would be mentioned in reports or not. It does not effect the build in any way but is just something I found myself wondering about.

Martin

Last night I decided to bite the bullet and tackle another part of the build that has been worrying me for some time now. Namely, getting the principal parts of the undercarriage joined up accurately. This went OK for the nose leg, but a great deal of swearing took place beore I could dry fit the main components of the main legs together so as I could get the bogies glued at the correct angles. Eventually this was completed and I was able to finish up doing the remaining wiring and piping on the bogies. Incidentally, the nose leg is not glued to the airframe yet; this will happen towards the end of the build.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2320.jpg

101_2319.jpg

101_2318.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Gals! Just a brief appology for the lack of your regular "fix". I have been feeling a bit under the weather for the last week or so, too much crap going on which has been affecting my ability to concentrate properly as well physically. Today however, I am going to get some done. I shall be priming the main undercarriage parts and attending to the hydraulic connactions for the nose undercarriage which, for some reason, I had forgotten to construct.

Sorry about the delay in service

Martin

Thanks Brian but sick notes don't cut the ice with my employer/ Anyway, its been mostly my head being messed up with too much stressful crap going on which has stopped me doing much. There's no point in working on a project like this if your concentration is impared; you will just mess it up and that really would stress me out after twenty months! :boom:

Still, I got the connections that I had forgotten out of the way, I can't think how I managed to forget them, and have the main undercarriage parts primed and curing. I should get them sprayed up tomorrow and there's even a sporting chance that I could have them detail painted as well. I have straightened out the wonky hydraulic bottles in the picture since it was taken. I omly noticed them when I came to edit the picture; see, I told you I haven't been firing on all cylinders. :doh:

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2331.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Martin, you not firing on all cylinders is about a hundred times better than me at the peak of my powers. I cannot believe what you have achieved on this project. Just fantastic.

I had meant to post these pictures last night but, for some reason, I don 't seem to be able to take a half decent picture in artificial light. Many would argue that I can't do that even then. I'm sure its all down to my incompetence but there you go.

The detail painting was harder than I had expected, hence the fact that ony the nose wheel leg is done. I have to confess to having been looking forward to getting this bit done and having taken a childish pleasure in glueing the landing lights in place. As regards the time taken to get this painted, you would think that I would have long since got used to things taking longer than anticipated on this project by now, but, seemingly, some people never learn. :fraidnot: This being the case, its on with the main legs tonight. I won't keep you all waiting for both to be done if they seem to be dragging on. In that case I will just get a picture of the first one finished up and finish the other at leisure. Here are the pics of last nights efforts.

Thanks for looking

Martin

PS: Photobucket pratting me about again! :deadhorse:

101_2348.jpg

101_2349.jpg

101_2347.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Well, all bar one main leg anyway. As I suspected it longer than planned to complete just one main undercarriage leg. So, as I promised, here is what I managed to got done yesterday evening. I also added a wash and some highlighting to the parts to pop out some of the detaila bit better. There is no point in my keeping you all waiting while I duplicate work. So far I have found it very satisfying seeing all the detail I have put in becoming more visible. Hope you like it too.

Campbell, don 't worry, we all go through phases like you. The old mojo will soon return.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2350.jpg

101_2351.jpg

101_2352.jpg

101_2353.jpg

101_2354.jpg

Edited by martin hale

I should have got this post up much earlier but, for some reason, my computer kept not wanting to connect to Britmodeller. Anyway, I have finished painting the remaining undercarriage leg and decided to see how things look with them all in place. In retrospect it would have been easier to paint all the legs together rather than one at a time as it would have been simpler to get the same level of weathering on each leg but then the next update would have been a long time in coming. I also like to carry out continuous dry runs as they allow me to keep a check as to whether things are looking right and, if not, put them right before things are irrevocably glued in place on the model. It also provides good practice for the final fit and allows me to identify potential problems and/or improvements well in advance. The smaller undercarriage parts will be painted next along with the doors,

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2356.jpg

101_2357.jpg

101_2358.jpg