TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

Thanks Guys,

CHOC, yes the APU bay will be open as for some reason it was ome of the features that I was really taken with when I was researching the build.

Oliver, your wish is my command!

Martin

101_2280.jpg

101_2281.jpg

Thanks for those interesting pictures. I am now becoming happier that the screens are tinted. One word of caution though, XR222's windscreen has begun to delaminate, most likely due to the many years spent out in the open. Therefore I would not read too much into this particular airframe as regards the exact colour of the windscreen.

Martin

Hi mates,

Just catching up on this thread. Very interesting discussion on the tinting of the windscreen and canopy transparencies. I've just picked up Damien Burke's excellent book "TSR2: Britain's Lost Bomber" and here is what is says on page 145:

"The windscreen and quarter panels were glass, with gold film heating and demisting. The pilot's and navigator's canopies were mostly metal frmework with metal stressed skin and relatively small transparencies. Unlike the windscreen and quarter panels, these were not glass but a triple laminate of Perspex, once again with gold film heating/demisting." Sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it...

Burke's book is incredibly detailed (hundreds of photos) and is the result of an immense amount of research. I can recommend it heartily to anyone interested in the TSR2. If I'm not mistaken, Burke is also responsible for the Thunder and Lightnings web site, or at least is a major contributor. Some excerpts from his book are on that site.

Cheers,

Bill

Yep its beautiful alright. Looking at this plane I kind of see what they use for the movie Firefox. NIce buils as always. Thanks for posting the photos.

Oliver

Just checking in Guys to let you know that I am still here. I have been up in Oxford over the last week so I have not been able to be around the forums. I decided not to take the build up with me as I needed a rest and I think the break has been good for me as I'm itching to crack on with the project. With this in mind the agenda for the next couple of weeks is to get the weapons and undercarriage bays painted up and get the various intakes added.

Will be speaking to you soon hopefully

Martin

not going to lie bud, im getting withdrawl symptons from lack of updates lol, in all seriousness take your time, your model long ago stoped being a model, its now well into the realms of art.

eagly awaiting next update.

I have spent most of today getting the base colours on the weapons and undercarriage bays. The basic colour is a very pale grey for XR220 and XR222 and presumably for all the other airframes of the prototype batch with the exception of XR219 which was white. The nearest colour match I could find was Lifecolour UA023 Grey which apparantly matches to FS36495. I have also painted the base black on the vents and orange on those parts that are test equipment. I used Citadel Chaos Black and Lifecolour LC05 Matt Orange respectively for these parts.The next few sessions will be devoted to picking out more details and getting the extensive plumbing painted.

The more observant will have noticed that there are no accompanying pictures tonight. This is due to the application of Sod's Law which, in this case, states that no sooner have you run out of cash than your camera batteries will conk out! :shithappens: Note to self; as soon as I can afford it I must sort some rechargable batteries out. Anyhow, it will therefore be Thursday or Friday before I can afford some more batteries and get some pictures posted. I will, however, in the meantime, keep you all up to speed as to my progress, or lack of.

Thanks for stopping by

Martin

Edited by martin hale

I wnet shopping today and got some more batteries for the camera and so present the work I have been up to over the past few days. I have been mostly blocking in ther basic colours and have started the painstaking job of painting all the piping in the undercarriage bays. I am going to have to be very careful as regards washes in the undercarriage bays as these are in almost pristine condition on XR220; unsurprisingly really as the most she ever did was a few fast taxi runs. It would be really interesting to know if she did lift briefly from the runway during these. I know this is a common practice prior to a first flight to get a feeling for the controls and she was due to fly on the afternoon of the cancellation.

Anyway thanks for looking

Martin

101_2303.jpg

101_2304-1.jpg

101_2305-1.jpg

Edited by martin hale

OK what's occurring? Photobucket is showing my pictures as being cropped and reduced in size but the thread is showing them as being unaltererd!

Martin

OK what's occurring? Photobucket is showing my pictures as being cropped and reduced in size but the thread is showing them as being unaltererd!

Martin

Blinking impressive whatever size the pics are! Glad you invested in some batteries - I was getting withdrawal symptoms again!

Brian

That should be better. I seem to have got the pictures to come out properly now by deleting them from Photobucket and uploading and re-editing them again. F"£*&**%g Photobucket! :rant: Hope you Guys can see them OK now.

Martin

Thats looking fantastic Martin, so please don`t spoil it with a silly `what if' scheme!! I`m hoping that you are intending to finish it in the correct White scheme? I love the extra wire work and your craftmanship with plastic card is something to behold,

Looking forward to seeing this one finished,

All the best

Tony O

Thanks Guys.

Tony, don't panic! She is going to be finished as XR220 in the all white anti-flash scheme.

Si, all being well she will be at Telford. I would love to move further north but it wouldn't help you as it would be to a small Scottish island.

Martin

I managed to get the washes and highlighting done on the main wheel bays done today. It took longer to do than I imagined so the nose wheel bay will have to wait until tomorrow. I also plan to get the test equipment in the weapons bay wired up, washed and highlighted. Time to get the assorted doors wrapped up after that.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2308.jpg

101_2307.jpg

101_2306.jpg

Edited by martin hale

I managed to get the washes and highlighting done on the main wheel bays done today. It took longer to do than I imagined so the nose wheel bay will have to wait until tomorrow. I also plan to get the test equipment in the weapons bay wired up, washed and highlighted. Time to get the assorted doors wrapped up after that.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2308.jpg

101_2307.jpg

101_2306.jpg

Martin, this just gets better and better. I can't wait to see the final result.