TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

Martin,

Just when I think you have hit the limit of what is possible, you push on and come up with something else. This is the most amazing build and it just keeps getting better.

Sorry about the delay in getting a further update to you guys but computer problems rather put things on hold for a few days

However, that being sorted, its time to get the weapons bay put to bed now. Having thought about things some more, I have decided to ditch the idea of kiting it out with the fuel tank and bombs and go with the test equipment that XR220 has fitted currently at Cosford. I feel this will me a little more flexibility with display options and also add a bit more colour to the model as well as the tank and bombs being more appropriate to an operational aircraft. I am having the forward equipment tray with its insulating blanket in place and the the rear one with it removed. I used the forward section of of the Airfix part for the top of the forward tray and scratch built the rest. I have drilled holes for wiring but whether I can get it fitted in the tiny amount of space available is another matter! I am unsure about how the trays were fitted toi the real aircraft and so have no idea if my supports for the trays are accurate but as they will not be seen when the trays are glued in place it doesn't really matter too much. Next up is to make the hinges and operating jacks for the bomb doors.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2273.jpg

101_2274.jpg

Martin, do you need any of my pics, or have you saved them?

Ive had to take them off Photobucket, but they will be back up on her soon.

Thanks Rich, I saved the ones I hadn't got to my computer when you put them up the first time.

Martin

I've just acquired the 1/72 scale TSR.2, and now I have your work to live up to! Oh, dear...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Absolutely stunning work, Martin. Truly top of the pops.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Without the moral support of you chaps and chapesses out there I very much doubt if the model would have got this far. I hope to get the bomb bay door hinges and operating jacks sorted out this weekend and, if time allows, some paint ont the area. Watch this space for more pics over the next few days.

Martin

I can't wait for the next installment. Even Mrs Brianthemodeller is following this thread - more closely than she follows Corrie!

I can't believe the level of detail in this model and the patience you have shown. Truly inspirational - even for a confirmed vehicle modeller like myself.

Brian

Even Mrs Brianthemodeller is following this thread - more closely than she follows Corrie!

Brian

There's pressure for you then! I remember being amazed when this thread went to over 1000 views, I never thought of it turning into a soap opera though.

Well today I have been dealing with the mind numbingly tedious, but essential, task of making the bomb door hinges and attachment points for the operatiing jacks. So in the next gripping episode we should see a trial assembly of the doors and jacks in position. Until then I'm afraid its the Corrie omnibus edition if such a thing exists.

Martin

Speedy recovery and steady progress.

In all fairness, the speed of the recovery and perhaps the fact that it happened at all is down to the great service I recieved from both Cammett and Hannants. As a result of this I didn't have the opportunity to dwell too much on what had gone wrong and lose heart. This being behind the majority of the models that have found their way onto my personal shelf of doom.

I do feel now that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a very small one, with this build. The "to do" list is now growing visibly smaller and getting some of the parts painted is starting to show off some of the work that has gone into the project and this has definitely been a boost. Having hit on a new, for me at least, method of washing and highlighting detail areas has given me an extra bit of a lift as well: not forgetting, obviously, all the encouragement I have had from fellow forumites.

The question now, of course, is what do I replace this with as a long term project when it is finished? I am sure you chaps and chapesses out there will have some thoughts on that. Potential candidates are, Sea Vien drone, Breguet Alize, Blackburn Roc Floatplane, DH Sea Hornet NF21 Airwork St Davids scheme, Wessex HAS3 (if I can find the kit in the loft) or the Airfix Valiant if it hits the shelves in time for the end of this build.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Forgive me, but I can only see one option in that list for a man of your talent - the Valiant!

But please, can you concentrate on the TSR2 and not let your mind wander to the next one. If you are anything like me then that is the start of the slippery slope towards not finishing and I really want to see how it turns out.

Brian

Edited by brianthemodeller

Don't worry. I am just thinking ahead as my experience of these long projects is that they leave an enormous void once they are complete. This build IS going to be finished, God willing, and if not then there's not a lot I or anybody else can do about it anyway. My target is to have her done in plenty of time for Telford as I really did not like not having a major model ready for last year, even though it was due to unforsseable and unavoidable circumstances.

Martin

nice progress.... qq (open to all) how the heck do you know how deep to make your equipment bays? am thinking of doing this on the Prowler but wouldnt know how deep to make it (know where the hatch is for height/width but not depth).......

nice progress.... qq (open to all) how the heck do you know how deep to make your equipment bays? am thinking of doing this on the Prowler but wouldnt know how deep to make it (know where the hatch is for height/width but not depth).......

It rather depends on the bay concerned, so I'll take you through each one. The depth of the bay for the side scan radar was determined by the position of the side consols of the pilot's cockpit and having seen the real thing with its panel removed many years ago on XR222. I knew there was a small gap of approximately 2 feet between the port and starboard avionics bays, so Iguesstimated that one. The depth of the APU bay was largely determined by the size of the APU and monting so that one more or less sorted itself out. The depth of the accessory gearbox bay was similar in that the bay's depth was limited by the position of the engines. I guess what I am really trying to say is that the dimensions of a particular bay on an aircraft are largely determined by the relationship of its contents to the rest of the equipment the aircraft is carrying this in turn being determined by the airframe structure. Here researching the actual airframe structure of your chosen subject helps no end as once you know this it is pretty easy to guesstimate the size and position of stuff. When in doubt I tend to err on the shallow side as there is nothing more frustrating than to build a structure only to find that it fouls something else and has to be scrapped. I tackle this by cutting open all the panels I want to display open very early in a project and getting the basic boxing in done at the same time. Its a bit like an artist sketching in the basic outlines of a picture before starting painting really.

Hope that helps

Martin von Not Being Very Helpful Really :unsure:

I finally got the weapons bay doors and hinges on the model and the operating jacks completed. The picture took about an hout to set up as, unglued, the whole ensemble shows a marked reluctance to hold together. So, having lost the will to live on the photographic front, I'm afraid its only one picture today. Sorry Mrs Brianthemodeller :sorry:

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2275-1.jpg

It rather depends on the bay concerned, so I'll take you through each one. The depth of the bay for the side scan radar was determined by the position of the side consols of the pilot's cockpit and having seen the real thing with its panel removed many years ago on XR222. I knew there was a small gap of approximately 2 feet between the port and starboard avionics bays, so Iguesstimated that one. The depth of the APU bay was largely determined by the size of the APU and monting so that one more or less sorted itself out. The depth of the accessory gearbox bay was similar in that the bay's depth was limited by the position of the engines. I guess what I am really trying to say is that the dimensions of a particular bay on an aircraft are largely determined by the relationship of its contents to the rest of the equipment the aircraft is carrying this in turn being determined by the airframe structure. Here researching the actual airframe structure of your chosen subject helps no end as once you know this it is pretty easy to guesstimate the size and position of stuff. When in doubt I tend to err on the shallow side as there is nothing more frustrating than to build a structure only to find that it fouls something else and has to be scrapped. I tackle this by cutting open all the panels I want to display open very early in a project and getting the basic boxing in done at the same time. Its a bit like an artist sketching in the basic outlines of a picture before starting painting really.

Hope that helps

Martin von Not Being Very Helpful Really :unsure:

that was quite helpful Martin.... for the Prowler I have envisaged one of the aviation housings (might be able to guesstime this fomr a photo fo rt he eduard PE set - i know how wide the opening is so can see how wide a photo of the PE is vs depth... the lower drop down avionics bay (again from photos should be able to work somethking out) and then the little emergency power propeller that is build into the left wing-root (just for novelty value)......

I had hoped to get a post up yesterday but Gill got it into her head that my modelling corner had got out of control. So, I was duly dragged up to the local Hobbycraft who had a sale on on storage boxes and a large number were purchased. Arriving home she helped me drag everything out from under my bench, throw away any junk, sort out kits that had to join the stash in the loft, do away with the motley collection of cardboard boxes that various tools, potions and paints were stored in and tidy the stuff away in the new stacking boxes. All this meant no modelling. :( Still, I can actually get my legs under my desk again and I did find some stuff that I thought had been lost forever, including a kit I had forgotten that I even had! So I might have to conceed that there is the remote possibility that she might just have been right after all. She did treat me to a nice curry after we had finished though :eat:

Anyhow, back to the build. I decided to finish off the connections for the APU unit. It doesn't look much in the pictures but the ribbed flexible air line between the unit and the airframe was a real pig and took several hours to make. Next up is to add assorted potuberences such as small intakes and the ventral periscope and to paint the weapons and under carriage bays.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_2277.jpg

101_2278.jpg

101_2279.jpg

Edited by martin hale