De havilland Devon/Dove

kev67

Just a small update to where I am at the moment, I have just finished assembling the fueselage halfs, that just needs to be rubbed smooth along the joint, once I am happy I shall join this to the wings. The cabin windows will be filled in with clear plastic, but that will be the last job and then coated with Johnsons Klear.4301685038_35f4605570_b.jpg

Edited by kev67

Kev,

my hat's off to you !

Never succeeded in finishing my Rareplane example and still shying away from the Magna Resin kit although I have fond memories of working on a Dove .....

Following with interest.

popeye

Hi

There is one thing someone can help me on, I am not totally sure on the posioning of the aerials at the bottom, as I intend to do the white and grey scheme RAF version, any help would be grateful

Cheers Kev

To those of you who may be interested in my progress of the DH Devon, so far I have attached the main wing and rear wings, I am checking the positioning of the undercarriage, at the moment I think it is a bit to high, as photos I have seen they show they squat a little at the back so may take at least 2mm of the rear undercarriage I have altered the rear flaps as these particular Devons had bigger flaps (not sure on the technical term but I am sure they have a proper name) which is not shown on my drawings, I can now concentrate on rescibing some panel lines and adding some bumps and other detail before I start to priming the model, all the aerials will be left till the model is painted

But atleast I have added enough weight at the front so its not a tail sitter

4315285967_b19e50bba5_b.jpg

Edited by kev67

Very impressive work so far - the interior will be great when completed - engine detail looks good - this is one of my favorite aircraft, it has a very appealing design and is proportioned well.

Looking forward to seeing more updates. - very well done

Des.

Very impressive work so far - the interior will be great when completed - engine detail looks good - this is one of my favorite aircraft, it has a very appealing design and is proportioned well.

Looking forward to seeing more updates. - very well done

Des.

Thankyou for your reply, hopefully next week I can start to prime the model

Looking good kev, worked on the ex BBMF one when it was repainted down at Cranfield, odd thing, we offered to replace the cowl ducts for free, they agreed we said have you got some then, they said yes and offered to sell them to us, to put on their aircraft........ right we said, hence it had a load of repairs done on them that they were billed for........ such is the RAF way of things. Looked bloody awful with patches all over them.

I have altered the rear flaps as these particular Devons had bigger flaps (not sure on the technical term but I am sure they have a proper name)

Hi Kev,

The flaps on all Dove/Devons are the same, with two settings of 20% and 60%.

If you mean the tail end then the aircraft has asymmetric elevators.....the right elevator had a rounded end, the left elevator was truncated. This was done to prevent buffering in flight.

Looks odd but is one of the characteristics of a lovely looking aircraft...

Cheers,

Derek

Excellent! No-one's likely to make better use of it than you, I reckon.

Cheers, it will be a build for the future though but I wont go mad with it, maybe i'll do the interior but with no doors open

I have noticed on some photos I have that the red and white propeller blades were only painted on one side as the other side was painted either light grey or silver with the yellow tip, could someone tell me if this is true on most cases

Lovely job so far. I visited Gordon Stevens back in 1986 (on work experience would you believe!), and he was working on this one then (there was a suitably modified Airfix Heron fuselage on his work top at the time). Its great to see nice vacform builds, very underated these days (as Mike as demonstrated several times on BM).

Colin

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models

I have noticed on some photos I have that the red and white propeller blades were only painted on one side as the other side was painted either light grey or silver with the yellow tip, could someone tell me if this is true on most cases

I've certainly seen that on various post-war RAF piston engined types, with light grey on the aft faces of the blades to reduce the distraction to the crew. The idea is to make the prop to be very noticeable from ahead of the aeroplane, where it poses a danger when moving on the ground, but to be inconspicuous to the crew from inside the cockpit (and indeed the cabin).

Another question if anyone has the answer, what colour is the wheel bay and inside the undercarriage doors, I think it might be light grey but it could be silver or could it be one or the other

Hi Kevin, in response to your question regarding the propellor colours the red/whit striping was restricted to the front face of the blades with the light metallic grey colour to the rear. This was an attempt to make the propellor blades more visible when the engines were running as the ground power socket is on the stbd nose on the Devon and only about 3 feet away from the prop!!

I always used to make sure I was facing the stbarboard prop when I was removing the trolly acc cable after engine start!!!

As for the U/C bays and doors, they were painted in Light Aircraft Grey, the access panels for the electrics/avionics bays and luggage doors were silver on the inside. The engine cowlings were a mix with the lower hinged panels being silver on the inside and the inside of the engine cowlings being in the light green colour.

The attached picture gives you a rough idea of the colours. The picture was taken in about 1978/79 at RAF Wyton DTVAS (Devon, Training & Visiting Aiircraft Section). We operated three Devon C.2's as part of 207Sqn Detachment, WB533, WB534 & VP958.

Apologies for the Chief pretending to be a Rickshaw but our nickname was Rickshaw Airways and our two Canberra T.4's carried a dayglo rickshaw on the fin.

DevonWyton1978_72dpi.jpg

Cheers

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker

Hi Kevin, in response to your question regarding the propellor colours the red/whit striping was restricted to the front face of the blades with the light metallic grey colour to the rear. This was an attempt to make the propellor blades more visible when the engines were running as the ground power socket is on the stbd nose on the Devon and only about 3 feet away from the prop!!

I always used to make sure I was facing the stbarboard prop when I was removing the trolly acc cable after engine start!!!

As for the U/C bays and doors, they were painted in Light Aircraft Grey, the access panels for the electrics/avionics bays and luggage doors were silver on the inside. The engine cowlings were a mix with the lower hinged panels being silver on the inside and the inside of the engine cowlings being in the light green colour.

The attached picture gives you a rough idea of the colours. The picture was taken in about 1978/79 at RAF Wyton DTVAS (Devon, Training & Visiting Aiircraft Section). We operated three Devon C.2's as part of 207Sqn Detachment, WB533, WB534 & VP958.

Apologies for the Chief pretending to be a Rickshaw but our nickname was Rickshaw Airways and our two Canberra T.4's carried a dayglo rickshaw on the fin.

Cheers

XVTonker

Yes I had a feeling it was light grey, cheers for that and that the backs of the props were light grey I only noticed this from one of the photos I had but was not totally sure, you have put my mind at rest. As this is my favorite plane I am hoping to do a descent job on it, I always remember seeing these fly over my parents house near Northolt I even remember seeing them when they retired on their fly pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Because I have no electrics where I do my spraying I have only completed the props so its been quite frustrating that I want to get some paint on the model and get it finished. The props were painted white on one side and grey the other I used decals for the red stripes and finally coated them with Johnsons Klear

4414521120_a5a8517146_b.jpg