Hawker Hurricane IV

fatalbert

Hi ya guys,i have been whittling away on an Airfix Hurricane recently,a bit of a labour of love realy,its the the one that comes with the JU88 as a dog fight double.i have scratch built the cockpit and the undercarridge bay,i also have a tropical filter for the nose,armoured radiator and an aftermarket prop.Am thinking towards a SEAC aircraft with rockets under one wing and a fuel tank under the other.Now this made me wonder what sort of gun sight the mk IV Hurricane had,would it have been a bog standard Hurricane one or a special type for use with rockets.Also all my refrance pictures show some aircraft fitted with leading edge landing lights and some not,but in a dim distant memory i remember reading that mk IV hurries had just one light fitted,could someone please confirm what is correct please Many thanks,when i get me bottom in gear i will post some picks ta.....Neil

I don't know the answer to any of those question, but I just thought I'd say thank you for posting a Hurricane thread. This place was beginning to look like a spitfire forum!

But seriously, is this the old 1/72 kit?

On the IID the starboard landing lamp was blanked off but on the Mk IV "low attack" wing the landing lamps were fitted with detachable panels which I presume means that they could be fitted with two, one or none. I have a photo of a 20 Sqn RP carrier with the port lamp visible but no starboard lamp, another in flight with no lamps visible and a 20 Sqn IID with the port lamp blanked off and no sign of a starboard lamp.

Not sure how common the asymetric load was in SEAC. I know it was common in Italy/Yugoslavia but I've not yet come across it for Burma. 20 Sqn note they could not use the wing .303 because the rocket blast plates obstructed the cartridge ejection slots but the guns were still fully loaded because there were limited storage facilities at base. RP's were in short supply at one point and they were reduced to carrying 4 x 25lb RPs. More commonly used were 8 x 60lb RP's. In March 1945 20 Sqn ordinance expenditure during 566 sortes was as follows:-

7,093 40mm

106,814 .303

912 RP 60lb

6 RP 25lb

Edited by Nick Millman

Hiya guys,here are some pictures of my Hurricane,please forgive them ,we have a crap camera.

047.jpg

042.jpg

059.jpg

041.jpg

052.jpg

I have seperated the elevators and rudder,they will be set at slight angles,i havnt decided wether to do the same with the ailerons.

Yes Dan it is the 1/72 scale kit,i know its not the best kit on the market but it was in my stash and well....why not.

Thanks for the info Nick,i must admit i havnt been able to find an asymetric load picture either so its not a definate fit on my aircraft.

happy modeling.....Neil

It's looking good, I'm watching with interest.

P.S. Your camera is better than mine!

I want to do some Hurricanes in 1/72, but every time read a review, they say that kit X is terribly inaccurate.

I don't know where to start, or just wait for somebody to bring out a good one.

• Like 1

Which Hurricane version do you want to do?

Mk.I - AZ. The main problem here is that the resin wheelbay does not fit in the wing: hardly unique. Sword tooling, but don't buy original because of misaligned tools.

Mk.I - Hasegawa. The main problem here is that the kit is really a Mk.II, and has excessive sag on the fabric. Otherwise a wonderful kit.

Mk.I- Airfix. Old and basic, with a tiny nose that no Merlin could fit into. Poorly shaped spinner/prop.

Mk.IIa/b/c/d - Hasegawa. Fabric sag, otherwise the kit of choice

Mk.IIb/c - Revell. Pretty good, but needs new prop/spinner, nose is a smidgeon slim (but good second to excellent Hasegawa). Crude fabric effect best shaved off. Also only Sea Hurricane version, a Mk.IIc.

Mk.IIc - Heller. Nice (for its time) old kit but small nose and lacks details

Mk.IV - SMER Heller Mk.II with added bits.

Mk.IIc- Academy- mis-shapen. Avoid

Older kits to avoid: Revell Mk.I, Airfix Mk.IV, Airfix Mk.II, Aosima Mk.IV, KeilKraft Mk.IIc, Lotnia Mk.IIc, Matchbox Mk.IIc

Airfix are about to produce a new Mk.IIc. Judging from their recent offerings it'll be decent but basic, and let's not comment on the likely accuracy.

So which do you want? For a Mk.I there is the AZ, Hasegawa or the much poorer Airfix. For anything else go Hasegawa (+ aftermarket if necessary for variant), but you won't be too disappointed by Revell with a new spinner/prop.

I've feeling there are a few other niggles I haven't mentioned, on the Hasegawa and Revell kits (and certainly on the others!); but what you don't know, and don't recognise yourself, won't hurt your modelling. There's no perfect Hurricane, but there are good ones.

PS I didn't mention Hobbyboss: not had it, but looked at it and went "Yuk". It didn't look right, but I can't justify that in any detail.

Edited by Graham Boak

You guys are all on form today... I couldn't have hoped for a better answer. Many thanks Graham.

Anyway, while my internet was down, I had a think and decided to go first for the HobbyBoss kit.

Seriously, I'll make it with my daughter (who wants a go) and give it to my 2 year old son (who wants to throw a plane around the living room).

Other than that, I wanted mostly to do the IIb/c/d and Mk.IV. So Hasegawa sounds ideal once I find a supplier.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

You guys are all on form today... I couldn't have hoped for a better answer. Many thanks Graham.

Anyway, while my internet was down, I had a think and decided to go first for the HobbyBoss kit.

Seriously, I'll make it with my daughter (who wants a go) and give it to my 2 year old son (who wants to throw a plane around the living room).

Other than that, I wanted mostly to do the IIb/c/d and Mk.IV. So Hasegawa sounds ideal once I find a supplier.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

I've still got a bagged Airfix Hurricane MKIV RP . I keep it to remind me ,when I see endless threads moaning about accuracy of this kit or that,

What enjoyment I and my friends used to get from sticking the " Construction Kits " together.

:):)

Cheers

Terry Mcgrady

• Like 1

Again... sorry for hijacking the thread (at least it keeps it at the top!), and sorry for going all 'jumpers for goal posts', but while the internet was down, and while I walked into town, I remembered the days when there used to be a model shop in every town... taking my thirty pence pocket money and buying a bagged kit.

Building them, and then playing with them! Kept me happy for hours!

Again... sorry for hijacking the thread (at least it keeps it at the top!), and sorry for going all 'jumpers for goal posts', but while the internet was down, and while I walked into town, I remembered the days when there used to be a model shop in every town... taking my thirty pence pocket money and buying a bagged kit.

Building them, and then playing with them! Kept me happy for hours!

30 Pence ? It was 2 bob in my day

I remember getting the kit with Xmas money in 59 or 60 and being mightley upset when i lost one of the Rockets off it

Cheers

Terry McGrady

• Like 1

30 Pence ? It was 2 bob in my day

I remember getting the kit with Xmas money in 59 or 60 and being mightley upset when i lost one of the Rockets off it

Cheers

Terry McGrady

My dad was very wealthy at the time, but he had worked hard for his money, and made me work hard for mine.

My pocket money had been 15p, so I could buy a kit every two weeks. But my dad doubled it... probably for his benefit more than mine... like I say, it kept me busy for hours.

Dont worry about highjacking guys,it dosent bother me.....Neil

Did you get all the answers you were looking for? Thats the important thing.

Got my first Airfix Mk.IV whilst on holiday in Blackpool in 1957. That and the Stuka came out at the same time, but I wasn't allowed to make them until I got home.

Yes, I had a lot of fun with kits then, but some things have improved since the 50s, though I could use fingers still the same size........

Got my first Airfix Mk.IV whilst on holiday in Blackpool in 1957. That and the Stuka came out at the same time, but I wasn't allowed to make them until I got home.

Yes, I had a lot of fun with kits then, but some things have improved since the 50s, though I could use fingers still the same size........

I remember doing a IIc while on holiday in Cornwall... Matchbox I think it was.

Anyway, whats the deal with Hasegawa?

Their Hurricane is discontinued, but they seem to re-release it every once in a while. Not so easy to find a Mk.II in the UK.

Oh well, Airfix should bring out their offering in January, I'll see how that stacks up before I start bidding on eBay and paying postage from the US.

The standard Hasegawa Hurricane is labelled as a late Mk.Ib, of which there was no such thing. It is actually a Mk.IIb with the prop (and markings) for a Mk.I. As is the norm with Hasegawa, there is the one variant which is generally kept in stock and then the other special boxings come and go - and don't return. So no, you won't see any of their boxings labelled as Mk.II around, but don't let that worry you. Quickboost do a Rotol prop for a Mk.II Hurricane. If you want a Mk.II, and specifically a Mk.IIc, you can always buy Revell and the Quickboost will do for that as well. If you want a Mk.IId, I think there is a resin set available, but someone may well be willing to trade/sell an old set from the Airfix Mk.II - about the only nice bit of that kit. You will have to remove and rescribe wing panel lines for a IId or IV, whichever kit you get.

If you want to do a Revell bomber, reshape the bomb "pylon" from barge section to canoe section, and remember only 10 guns, because one is blocked by the rack.

Many thanks again Graham, your help has been invaluable.

I think I'll go and start researching....

Hi Neil,

My memory must be playing tricks as I can't remember an Airfix Dogfight double which included the Hurricane and Ju88 do you have a picture of the box top?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Hiya Malcolm

This is the best i can do am afraid,but if you look on the airfix website you will find new box artwork.

http://www.sedcars.co.uk/review/Airfix-Dog...-Hurricane.html

A bit more progress today,added the seat ,rear bulkhead and decided to go with a standard gunsight from an airfix spitfire.I am also going for no leading edge lights so i filled the holes in the wing.Am still not decided on the rocket/ tank combination yet......Neil

Edited by fatalbert

As is the norm with Hasegawa, there is the one variant which is generally kept in stock and then the other special boxings come and go - and don't return. So no, you won't see any of their boxings labelled as Mk.II around,

To expand on this. In 1996 Hasegawa issued kit # AP135 (51395) as Hurricane Mk.IIB 'Red Star'. In 1997 AP150 (52050) as Hurricane Mk.II 'Eagle Squadron'. In 2001 00275 as Hurricane Mk.IIB 'No.274 Squadron'. There may be others. They occasionally crop up on eBay but not often.

There were also a series of IIC versions (including the "Last of the Many", a Yugoslav, nightfighter and SEAC boxings) and a IID issued.

The only difference I can discern is that the IIB boxings have an oil collector ring molded on the cowling which otherwise appears identical to the "Mk.I" boxings. The 274 Sqn kit is a bit naughty because it shows bombs and carriers on the box art which are not included in the kit. The Eagle Sqn boxing contains Aeromaster decals and includes an option for a Sea Hurricane IIB depicted with a hook although no additional parts are included.

One point needs adding. The Mk.II boxings are effectively identical only to the basic "late Mk.Ib" boxing. There are a number of limited release Mk.Is : these have a shorter nose (engine cowling), to give the correct overall length. This is sadly the opposite way around to that done on the real Hurricane, which had the same nose and different fuselages. This means the interface between cowling, wing and and fuselage is in error on the Mk.Is.

To add to Nick's list of Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricane kits. I think that this is almost all save one or maybe two.

Most kits have decals for two aircraft, except AP155, just one.

AP38 Mk.I Late Type 'Battle of Britain' 1995. DT*A, JX*B

AP39 Mk.IIC 'Last of the Many' 1996. PZ865, QO*P

Ap132 Mk.IID 'Fox Hunter' 1996. JV*Z, BN795 "Our John' Aeromaster decals and Sprue Q, 40mm guns.

AP135 Mk.IIB 'Red Star' 1995. VVS SF Z5252, 01, Kuznetsov, 78 IAP VVS SF 80, Adonkin

AP140 Mk.I 'Finnish Air Force' 1996. HC-451, 1, HC452, 2

AP145 Mk.IIC 'Night Fighter' 1997. LK*A, ZY*S

AP150 Mk.II 'Eagle Squadron' 1997. Royal Navy JS327, XR*D Aeromaster decals. No arrestor hook provided.

AP152 Mk.I 'Night Fighter' 1998. LK*A, all black. LK*A temperate scheme.

AP155 Mk.I 'Douglas Bader' 1998. LE*D

00122 Mk.I 'I. R. Gleed' 2000. LK*A, GZ*V

00620 Mk.IIC 'No. 3 Squadron' 2003. QO*Q, QO*R

00648 Mk.IIC 'S.E.A.C.' 2003. EG*N, A*A

00733 Mk.IIC 'North Africa' 2004. AK*W, GO*J

Haven't picked this one up yet.

?? 247 Squadron desert scheme with the flash on each side of the roundels.

I'm surprised that they never put out a rocket armed Mk.IV.

The selection is even more varied in 1/48 scale with Sea Hurricanes and even a Mk. IV.

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by Gmat