RAF Grumman Goose HK822 (ex G-AFKJ)

RAL

I'm enquiring about RAF Grumman Goose HK822 operated (very briefly) by the RAAF's No 1 Air Ambulance Unit in the Middle East and in particular, I'm seeking a photograh and/or C&M.

The aircraft was 'acquired' from the RAF and operated from 1 December 1942 and crashed in the Mediterranean on 9 December 1942 with all crew being eventually rescued. The pilots were F/LT Bartle and P/O McWilliam. There were also five (5) passengers. The Goose apparently crashed during landing trials.

This information is sourced from Lever's Air Ambulance publication and A Short History of No 1 AAU "Succour From the Sky". Lever notes the aircarft as a Grumman Goose where the second reference refers to the aircarft as a Grumman Amphibian.

A further refernce has the aircarft listed as a Goose Mk. I in RAF service.

HK822 was one of a batch of sixteen (16) JRF-5/1 Model G-21A transfers to the RAF and Royal Navy. The aircraft assigned to the RAF were given the Serial Numbers FP470 to FP474, FP738 to FP747, HK822 and MV993. Eight (8) Model G-21A were retained by the US Navy.

The British Civil Register however provides the following information on HK822:

Type: Grumman G-21a Goose.

Construction Number: 1049.

History: G-AFKJ/HK822.

Owners: Rt.Hon WM Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook) /Croydon.

Date: 30 September 1938.

Certificate of Registration: 8771.

Fate/Comments: Impressed February 1941, damaged beyond repair (dbr) Benghazi 9 December 1942.

Besides a photograph and it's RAF colours & markings, I'm also seeking a more detailed history of the aircraft. For example, was the Goose impressed in the UK or was it impressed in the Middle East? The latter is important as a Fairchild 91 that was impressed into the RAF in the Middle East (HK832) was painted in desert colours.

All assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
I'm enquiring about RAF Grumman Goose HK822 operated (very briefly) by the RAAF's No 1 Air Ambulance Unit in the Middle East and in particular, I'm seeking a photograh and/or C&M.

The aircraft was 'acquired' from the RAF and operated from 1 December 1942 and crashed in the Mediterranean on 9 December 1942 with all crew being eventually rescued. The pilots were F/LT Bartle and P/O McWilliam. There were also five (5) passengers. The Goose apparently crashed during landing trials.

This information is sourced from Lever's Air Ambulance publication and A Short History of No 1 AAU "Succour From the Sky". Lever notes the aircarft as a Grumman Goose where the second reference refers to the aircarft as a Grumman Amphibian.

A further refernce has the aircarft listed as a Goose Mk. I in RAF service.

HK822 was one of a batch of sixteen (16) JRF-5/1 Model G-21A transfers to the RAF and Royal Navy. The aircraft assigned to the RAF were given the Serial Numbers FP470 to FP474, FP738 to FP747, HK822 and MV993. Eight (8) Model G-21A were retained by the US Navy.

The British Civil Register however provides the following information on HK822:

Type: Grumman G-21a Goose.

Construction Number: 1049.

History: G-AFKJ/HK822.

Owners: Rt.Hon WM Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook) /Croydon.

Date: 30 September 1938.

Certificate of Registration: 8771.

Fate/Comments: Impressed February 1941, damaged beyond repair (dbr) Benghazi 9 December 1942.

Besides a photograph and it's RAF colours & markings, I'm also seeking a more detailed history of the aircraft. For example, was the Goose impressed in the UK or was it impressed in the Middle East? The latter is important as a Fairchild 91 that was impressed into the RAF in the Middle East (HK832) was painted in desert colours.

All assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Well, this pom's google search came up with pretty much what you have found already. Given that the aircraft was in service for just under two years before being damaged beyond repair that may be all there is. Perhaps the only way would be to build a model in the desert colours you mentioned, upon the completion of which any number of detailed references will subsequently appear...

:giles:

Darius

An HK serial points to a Middle Eastern Impressment, but I'll look it up.

It was used by the same Sea Rescue Flight as the Fairchild 91, so it may have been in the same colours (although the 91 used a couple of different schemes). Something in my memory says BOTH were a gift from a Humanitarian organisation, but as I say I'll do a little digging

An HK serial points to a Middle Eastern Impressment, but I'll look it up.

It was used by the same Sea Rescue Flight as the Fairchild 91, so it may have been in the same colours (although the 91 used a couple of different schemes). Something in my memory says BOTH were a gift from a Humanitarian organisation, but as I say I'll do a little digging

Thanks. The Fairchild 91 seems to have been often photographed but not the Goose.

• 3 weeks later...

Roger,

The original information you posted is incorrect. HK822 was NOT the former G-AFKJ (that became MV993 with 24 Squadron).

HK822 was formerly the US Civil Registration NC3022, purchased (as I suspected) by the British Air Ambulance Corps in September 1941. It was used by the Sea rescue Flight coded 'N' (Source - Air Arsenal North America by Phil Butler).

Now, I am beginning to think I HAVE seen a photo of this aircraft, in one of the magazine 'personal photo' pages.

BTW, recall seeing you post this question elsewhere - did you get anymore info there?

Edited by Dave Fleming

Roger,

The original information you posted is incorrect. HK822 was NOT the former G-AFKJ (that became MV993 with 24 Squadron).

HK822 was formerly the US Civil Registration NC3022, purchased (as I suspected) by the British Air Ambulance Corps in September 1941. It was used by the Sea rescue Flight coded 'N' (Source - Air Arsenal North America by Phil Butler).

Now, I am beginning to think I HAVE seen a photo of this aircraft, in one of the magazine 'personal photo' pages.

BTW, recall seeing you post this question elsewhere - did you get anymore info there?

According to the Air Britain serials books HK822 was G-AFKJ and was purchased in the USA and presented to the RAF and served with SRF and 1 AAU before crashing on landing and sinking 15m N of Benghazi 9.12.42. MV993 went to the Royal Navy, 24 Sqdn is not mentioned.

However MV993 is listed as serving with 24 Sqdn in Alan Lake's Flying Units of the RAF and other books have references to a Goose (unidentified) in 24 Sqdn.

Arthur Pearcey's book on Lend Lease aircraft also has HK822 as G-AFKJ.

Bit of a muddle really - needs some definitive unpicking !

Ross

• Like 1

According to the Air Britain serials books HK822 was G-AFKJ and was purchased in the USA and presented to the RAF and served with SRF and 1 AAU before crashing on landing and sinking 15m N of Benghazi 9.12.42. MV993 went to the Royal Navy, 24 Sqdn is not mentioned.

However MV993 is listed as serving with 24 Sqdn in Alan Lake's Flying Units of the RAF and other books have references to a Goose (unidentified) in 24 Sqdn.

Arthur Pearcey's book on Lend Lease aircraft also has HK822 as G-AFKJ.

Bit of a muddle really - needs some definitive unpicking !

Ross

I suspect that Phil Butler has in Air Arsenal - most of the rest just repeat the same previous statement.

It makes much more logoic for MV993 to have been G-AFKJ - it was impressed in the UK, whereas HK822 had it's serial allocated in the Mid East at the same time as the Fairchild 91; AFAIK Butler is the first to link HK822 with a Grumman build no and a US civil reg. KNowing the throughness of his research, I would imagine he has a chain of evidence for this.

The 24 Sqn Association lists MV993 as with them : http://www.24sqnassociation.royalairforce....ads/24iss14.pdf

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 11 years later...

I hope this is not too late... I have the Appendix to 294 Sqn, RAF which includes its antecedent, the SRF (Sea Rescue Flight) which was based in the Middle East. It (the ORB) makes the first reference to both aircraft as being December 1941. RAF Flying Training and Support Units mentions both aircraft as HK832 “M” for the Fairchild, and HK822 “N” for the Goose. It was quickly realised that the Grumman was only suitable for inland waters and so it didn’t stay with the SRF for long. 

Hope this is of interest

Andy B

Edited by wimpyman
Updating info

1 hour ago, wimpyman said:

HK832 “M” for the Fairchild,

That one (if someone is interesting):

1 hour ago, wimpyman said:

HK822 “N” for the Goose

DvljlydXQAEwtQA.jpg

Cheers :)

J-W

• Like 2

Fantastic photo of the Goose - by a strange co-incidence I came across another photo of it in the last couple of weeks, in Vol. 4 of Air Britain's Impressment Logs (1966). 

Impressments log gives the Fairchild as crashing in 1943, and the Goose in 1942, both at Benghazi, but it's 56 year old research so may be wrong! It also has the Goose serving with 1 Air Ambulance Unit after the SRF

• Like 1

The Fairchild 91 had a very interesting paint scheme which I'm still trying to work out. I suspect filters have been used,, which are throwing it out somewhat. However the Model build doesn't quite have it right.

Can anyone tell me which Goose had the Baltimore Ohio Action Railroad Employees signage on the nose???

Buz

Edited by Buz

2 minutes ago, Buz said:

The Fairchild 91 had a very interesting paint scheme which I'm still trying to work out. I suspect filters have been used,, which are throwing it out somewhat. However the Model build doesn't quite have it right

Buz

Some years ago when I was constructing my model I was trying to figure out the history of paint of RAF machine. What I did is th scheme from the end moment of operation (with C roundels) 

M70ObjEiQ6FESpl4yHKimrpd4KRO9NbWW-t03Apz

97yeNaGdahfV3ihd0ghvVurvmQ2Shtbrl81Bf0pF

55c276f017576c0f7c70d3a878ba2dc7.jpg

91fc65679f4d92693a107a8dd2be0d5e.jpg

Before she has high demercation line, with likely black sides

Fairchild_A-942_RAF_Egypt.jpg

20c8da643518041f1a6b0d2d5dbf5f3e.jpg

2.jpg

Regards

J-W

13 hours ago, JWM said:

That one (if someone is interesting):

DvljlydXQAEwtQA.jpg

Cheers :)

J-W

Looking at the Impressements Log, photo, there are some interesting differences. It's a side on view, so you can't see the upper wings, but there are no red cross on the fuselage,a nd it has standard A underwing roundels. It aslo has a dark underfuselage with a demarcation line running through the wheel well to where the planing hull step is just at the tail plane. the under wing and cowl area is much lighter than the under hull

J-W

Thank you, you've just answered my question, I have seen (I do have copies of) the second scheme from both sides.....and was having issues working out the side colours. 

I've sent you a PM if you are able to check.

Buz

• Like 1

As an aside, the Fairchild seems to have had a mishap on 17 May 1943, when it had an engine failure and had to ditch off-shore near BERCA III airfield, near Benghazi. The two crew - P/O Harcourt and F/Lt Wright survived, but the aircraft sank. Was it raised??

Edited by wimpyman

Way to late for the original query.

Air Arsenal North America states,

The order was 50 JRF-6B, serials FP475 to FP524.  With FP500 to Bolivia and FP505 to FP509 to US Army.

RAF order BSC666 for 50 Goose IA, Grumman 21A, only one contract card present, FP475 to FP500, blank entries for FP495 to FP497 and FP500.  Deliveries were 9 in March, 6 in May, 3 in June and 4 in December 1942.

The USN calls the order LL-86447, dated 16 July 1941, for 50 JRF-6B (Amphibious), 6 cancelled (probably FP500, FP505 to FP509), 2 P&W R-985-AN-6B engines, acceptances in first 6 months of 1942 were 3, 5, 6, 4, 4, 3, then 4 in November and 2 in December 1942. Then 5 in January, 4 in February and 4 in March 1943.  Notes are 6 converted to JRF-5, 1 for Bolivia, 5 for Army, 25 for British Air Commission, "Goose IA"  The JRF-5 (US Army designation AO-9) for Bolivia from this order was accepted in July 1942, those for the US Army, 2 in November and 3 in December 1942.

Air Arsenal North America states Goose c/n 1049 was Lord Beaverbrook's G-AFKJ, while HK822 was c/n 1055 ex NC3022 sent to Middle East via British Ambulance Air Corps purchase.

You can read the relevant sections of the 1 Air Ambulance Unit history on the Australian Archives web site, pages 86 to 88 of Series A9186, Control Symbol 273, RAAF Unit History sheets (Form A50) [Operations Record Book - Forms A50 and A51] Air Ambulance 1 and 2 Feb 42 - Dec 45

• 1 month later...