A few from the Mach Loop - End of October

James V

I thought I would posta few shots on here of what I can only describe as the LOUDEST experience I have heard in a long while. The picture quality is not particularly great, it was very claggy but it made for some great vapour shots - anyway enjoy the pics

4088950703_b01c2212a8_b.jpg

4088950283_df8b7b7258_b.jpg

4065102581_d4d5950391_b.jpg

4059857961_7b38329559_b.jpg

Mike,

I'll gladly take you there or if you wanted to meet somewhere etc.. I'm sure we can sort something out. I must warn you however, that the traffic there can be good one day, and poor the next - its all down to the weather - I waited 2 years to snap an Eagle low level so its all luck of the draw. The most I have seen in a day was 29 passes, the least was 2 and that was in 2 days of being up the hill in the rain, mist and snow....

Daz, what camera and lens have you got? I would advise if you are going that you need a fast lens, my weapon of choice is a 100 -400 is L but mosty the guys who go regularly are shooting on very expensive prime lenses!

A few more shots when the weather has been kinder:

4088949901_9e8c9494a7_b.jpg

1223614973_85fa4ffcb0_b.jpg

1260462442_98910cb2bc_b.jpg

3589810139_db0045c6f4_b.jpg

3925964134_a2072d1362_b.jpg

and here too :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesv9820/se...57601638794065/

Tasty stuff matey !! What lens ?? :analintruder:

Gundy; I usea Canon 30D and a 100 -400 IS L - Got a 70 - 200 2.8 but its not long enough for the Corris Corner turn -

Cracking shots, nice to see an Eagle take Corris corner low down.

Nice to see the pilot tapped in the burners for the pass.

Shaun.

Shaun - Thanks for the comment - I saw on my mates Flickr page that the pilot taps in the burner on the top at 90% and the underside at 70% to get them round the corner... Makes for a cracking shot

Cracking pictures, thanks for posting.

It's going to start getting cold up there now!!!!!.

Chris.

Stringbag - It was getting cold and wet up there when we left! Mind you I got to see vertical snow in March 2008 when I went there!!!

Thanks for the kind comments gents

Dan,

Thanks for the comment, i think the experience with the camera comes over the years I have had the camera - Like you say it helps if you know how to use it and you are not afriad to experiment with settings and different shutter speeds. Using the sun and other elements also helps too.

Cant wait to go back to the loop soon I hope!

They are great, others might have all he gear, but you appear to know how to use yours.

Dan

Gundy; I usea Canon 30D and a 100 -400 IS L - Got a 70 - 200 2.8 but its not long enough for the Corris Corner turn -

Shaun - Thanks for the comment - I saw on my mates Flickr page that the pilot taps in the burner on the top at 90% and the underside at 70% to get them round the corner... Makes for a cracking shot

I think the use of Burner was for the guys on the hills, only recently have the Eagles got braver and started taking the gap at Cadair and making the hard turn for Corris. They seemed quite happy before the continue down the Valley and over the lake, the F-15E's appear to be a lot more common on the "Roundabout" this year.

There was a standing joke among the Loop photographers about the USAF Eagles drivers, that they all wanted to be NASA astronauts because it was quite rare to get one with background in the photograph!

I've spent a fair bit of time on the Loop myself, some days filled with non stop excitement while others have been a dead loss.

Having been there (many times!) and tried it, you done a great job with your photographs. :thumbsup:

I think Corris corner is the nicest location on the Loop, but the sun is a problem in the afternoon.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Wow great photo's! where in the UK is this Mach Loop??

Jan

The location is in Wales. The Mach Loop is a series of one way valleys in the UK low flying system that allow low flying in a anti clockwise circular pattern.

The name "Mach" does not come from the speed of jets though the valleys but because the area is just North of the Welsh town of Machynlleth.

Low flying area 7 Wales

Edited by Shaun

The location is in Wales. The Mach Loop is a series of one way valleys in the UK low flying system that allow low flying in a anti clockwise circular pattern.

The name "Mach" does not come from the speed of jets though the valleys but because the area is just North of the Welsh town of Machynlleth.

Low flying area 7 Wales

Shaun thanks for this info - always wondered where it was! from the site it seems there are numerous places to get shots. I think I may have to take a trip there...

Cheers

Jonners

Now isn't that strange, when I was a youngster my parents would take all the family on holiday to what I think is the town of Dolgellau shown in that link Shaun posted. All I can remember is how it was pronounced which sounded like Dol-geth-lee and was near Barmouth, I'm not sure if Dolgellau is pronounced that way though. My parents would rent this farmhouse up in the hills nearby the town.