Op Warden 1994 Incirlik AFB Turkey

IV(AC)Plumb

With the future release of the 1/32nd Trumpter Harrier GR7/9 I thought you may appreciate a couple of my personal refrences from my tour on Op Warden back in 1994

I left the RAF a year later (made redundant under options for change) so have little more after this date, but a few more of Green Harriers whilst at Laarbruch Germany if anyone's interested?

Anyway on to the pics:

I'll start with our accomodation!

tentCityIncirlikAFB1993.jpg

Then the bar we modified after taking over from the Jaguar Det

TheHover-InnIncirlikAFB1993.jpg

Some of my artwork (far right)

TheHover-InnIncirlikAFB1993-3.jpg

Christmas 1994

TheHover-InnIncirlikAFB1993-2.jpg

On to the pan and some of the aircraft

Me on the combat arming pan

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-8.jpg

Engines running ready for a sortie (2 x AIM9l, 2 x CBU87B/B 2 x Tanks and 1 x Vinten Reece Pod

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-10.jpg

More?

Steve

Sorry about the size, I'll resize them tonight and repost...

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb

A few more:-

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-9.jpg

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-7.jpg

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-5.jpg

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-3.jpg

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-2.jpg

GR7IVACSqnOpWarden93-1.jpg

F16ASpangallenAFBOpDenyFlight93-1.jpg

SMIVACSqnAkrotiriCyprusApril93.jpg

I guess now they've been retired there's no harm in posting Op Warden Tail codes to Aircraft numbers.

WZ - ZG480

WJ - ZG505

WE - ZG434

WI - ZG477

WK - ZG408

WT - ZG476

WV - ZG500

WN - ZG471

WC - ZD405

WE - ZD434

WB - ZD406

WG - WG504

WD - ZD423 -CRASHED Northern Iraq F/L J Verne(rescued)

WT - ZD476

WA - Ser not recorded

Bear in mind these are the aircraft at initial deployment on the 9th April 1993 and some may have rotated in theatre after 1 & 3 Sqns took over.

Thought I'd update this as there's lots of Harrier material about at present!

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb

Good grief! Talk about flashbacks!! I was there with the RIC Nov 93-Feb 94. You brought back some memories with those photos - 'The Hover Inn', crocodile bread at the restaurants on the strip...swing a lamp, pull up a sandbag!!

Cheers,

Mark

Good grief! Talk about flashbacks!! I was there with the RIC Nov 93-Feb 94. You brought back some memories with those photos - 'The Hover Inn', crocodile bread at the restaurants on the strip...swing a lamp, pull up a sandbag!!

Cheers,

Mark

Then I probably came round to the RIC (Recon Intelegence Cell) blagging low level pics off you at some point!

Were you around when F/L Verney piled his A/C in 100 miles inside Iraq? he bought us loads of beer cos his seat worked and he got his MB Tie!

Great pics, interesting to see the variation in the low-viz roundel colours.

The sun bleeched all the ARTF paint so fast we actually carried a bucket of paint and a brush as part of the After Flight checks! when the A/C left Laarbruch all the markings were the same!

Then I probably came round to the RIC (Recon Intelegence Cell) blagging low level pics off you at some point!
More than likely - it was a not uncommon experience for us!
Were you around when F/L Verney piled his A/C in 100 miles inside Iraq? he bought us loads of beer cos his seat worked and he got his MB Tie!
I arrived just after he'd returned. If memory serves, the Gubmint gave a herd of goats as a thank you to the villagers who protected him.

I also left just before the Blackhawk shootdown. The 2 Brits who were onboard had been up to Incirlik for a R&R shortly before my departure and we'd shared a few beers. I was really, REALLY angry when I heard about their deaths.

Lots of memories...thankfully, most of them very happy!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Cheers,

Mark H

Edited by mhaselden

• 1 year later...
One question - one of the Op Warden aircraft was in the later Dark Camouflage Grey/Dark Sea Grey scheme - don't suppose you have a pic of it\/

Sorry, not on my tour, all of ours for at least two if not three tours (I did at least three) were in ARTF Grey. At one stage we had a bucket of the stuff for after flight patch ups!

I recall doing A/C weighs at Laarbruch before and after painting to see how much the paint added to the all up weight!

Steve

I arrived just after he'd returned. If memory serves, the Gubmint gave a herd of goats as a thank you to the villagers who protected him.

IIRC, that was the price of getting the Ejector Seat back from the head heardsman!

Ah memories!!

I was at Incirlik in 92/93 with 6Sqn Jags.

Never thought I'd be living in a tent and hanging my clothes up in cardboard boxes!!!

Used to be interesting to see the Turkish Air Force F-4's taking off for bombing raids into Northern Iraq against the Kurdish rebels.

Got some cracking piccies of Turkish F-4's, US F-16's, F-15's, EF-111 & KC-135 plus French AF Mirages.

Will sort them out and post them in Britmodeller.

XVTonker :pilot:

Ah memories!!

I was at Incirlik in 92/93 with 6Sqn Jags.

Never thought I'd be living in a tent and hanging my clothes up in cardboard boxes!!!

Used to be interesting to see the Turkish Air Force F-4's taking off for bombing raids into Northern Iraq against the Kurdish rebels.

Got some cracking piccies of Turkish F-4's, US F-16's, F-15's, EF-111 & KC-135 plus French AF Mirages.

Will sort them out and post them in Britmodeller.

XVTonker :pilot:

Ah, yes we took over from you guys (and re-modelled your bar!) Thursdays IIRC, time to stop protecting the Kurds in the northern No fly zone so the Turks could go bomb them! oh the irony!!!

There was a really nice low level recce shot of a Jag blowing the hat off a sentry outside of one of Saddam's palace's he was so low!

Steve

One question - one of the Op Warden aircraft was in the later Dark Camouflage Grey/Dark Sea Grey scheme - don't suppose you have a pic of it\/

Dave are you thinking of the on that was in the DSG/DCG but still have low viz roundels? I'd like to know more about that one too!

Curious thing about the low-viz roundels is that on one aircraft they were a different shade - I think the cover of SAM showed this.