'Life-Like' Rebel Roadster

Natter

I picked this up at my kid's school fete about three years ago for a quid. I have seen it on the web since for 40 Euros, but I'm a model maker not a collector (stash notwithstanding). It has been sitting part started for over two years ao the KUTA II was the best excuse going to make a new start on modelling after a layoff of a few months. So.....

The obligatory box and 'sprue' bit:

Sprueshot.jpg

The chassis with the engine fitted:

chassis.jpg

The body tub:

body.jpg

Then there were the instructions. And yes, they're that bad:

instructions.jpg

I spent the afternoon on it and this is how far I got. It is just dry assembled for now. I've got a day off tomorrow so I'll see how much further I get.

dry1.jpg

body2.jpg

Cool shade of green plastic, that Cadillac V8 should make this puppy fly...I suppose you could s/b some additional details...but if you build it in the spirit that it was moulded, why worry /bout that....nice nostalgia build....!

Cheers,

ggc

Cool shade of green plastic, that Cadillac V8 should make this puppy fly...I suppose you could s/b some additional details...but if you build it in the spirit that it was moulded, why worry /bout that....nice nostalgia build....!

Cheers,

ggc

Hi, s/b was too tempting, but only very simple stuff. I have made up a set of pedals, three as it will be a 'standard' four-on-the-floor shift. I will try and add some spark plug leads and I have hollowed and drilled the exhaust bell-mouths too as they were simple stub mouldings. I don't think I'll go much further than that though. It could do with a hood frame too, but I may not bother as it wouldn't be seen anyway. Nostalgia? Oh definitely!

Cheers, definitely had one. Used to have a local electrical shop that stocked all of the american stuyy - Pyro, Lindberg line etc. Remember building another hot rod that had an electric motor included that you also had to build. Had ten miles of copper wire for windings etc - needless to say it never ran!

Another day over. Back to work tomorrow and I will have to do some work on the Land Rover (like a big kit, but never finished) so I won't touch this for a few days. So much for the blitzbau, I am not a quick modeller. Well, enough. This is how far I got today. I had a 'mare with the white-walls and the gaps don't look as bad in real life as in the photos. I know about the smudged paint here and there too, but I want it to dry thoroughly before I set about touch ups and the like.

Left2.jpg

over.jpg

Back soon.........

• 2 weeks later...

Very little progress over the last week or so. The Land Rover has taken most of my evenings and the weekend has gone in a blur. Any-road-up, just to let you know I am still trying to give myself the KUTA on the modelling front.

Roadster1.jpg

Roadster2.jpg

Roadster3.jpg

Oh, and I bought something else for the stash...shame on me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks, I am still on this. Events seem to have stolen most of my time but I am still trying. The body has been stripped back and filled twice now, I am just not happy with the result each time. I am away from home now and consigned to an unheated and poorly lit conservatory to model in for two weeks, but I am doing what I can. I am struggling to get a decent finish with the gloss, airbrushing is still a relatively new art to me. Those model car builders who get a beautiful shiny finish have mucho respect from me. Ah well, I've still got three weeks or so to go yet.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Oh billhooks! My good lady and I left Manchester in the heavy snow this morning, to return home after the break to the less freezing south. About twenty minutes down the M60 I realised I had left my Roadster on top of the cupboard in the living room. All I had left to finish it off was to have a go at making up a set of ignition leads; I had even got the wire yesterday...and I brought that with me! I didn't take any photos either as the lighting wasn't too good. Many apologies. A first attempt at a GB and I messed it up in the final straight. We won't be back 'up North' for a couple of months so this one will have to be posted in another section when it is finally pictured.

Sorry all.