Martin Baker MB-5 (1:48 Falcon Vacform)

Mike

Aye... a big old beastie indeed! Wish I'd seen it (and the one at ARC) before I started mine :)

Hey! don't knock your's down, it's a fantastic build. I hope I can do the SC one I have some justice like it. I may just splash out on the Falcon kit though. A bit off-topic, the MB5 is one of my all time favorite aircraft, along with the Spiteful and DH Hornet, so does anyone know where I can get a good kit of those in 1/48 ?

Spiteful and DH Hornet, so does anyone know where I can get a good kit of those in 1/48 ?

Falcon Vac-form for the Spiteful and either Dynavector or Classic Airframes for the Hornet.

Sea Hornet is also available from CA and Dynavector.

Hope this helps.

Hey! don't knock your's down, it's a fantastic build. I hope I can do the SC one I have some justice like it. I may just splash out on the Falcon kit though. A bit off-topic, the MB5 is one of my all time favorite aircraft, along with the Spiteful and DH Hornet, so does anyone know where I can get a good kit of those in 1/48 ?

Have a look here to see my how my Seafang went together :)

I also have a Dynavector DH Hornet in the stash for one fine day ;)

beautiful...best looking piston engined fighter IMO....well just!

got a couple of Silver Cloud MB5's in the stash......this post could be inspiration to get one out....ooooh errr missus!

How about an MB-5 Group Build/Frustration? I have a 1/48 Silver Cloud to be build/destroy!

Count me out Osher... unless someone gets me another Falcon vacform, that is ^_^

Happy days... the postie delivered a tiny bag of Ps from Fantasy Printshop today. The MB-5 is covered in resin dust (don't ask), so didn't get decaled up today :)

Can't stretch to that Mike! Be nice to see this kit finished - and on display at the National's 2010!

Wasn't suggesting you should ;) Whether we'll be at SMW in 2010 is anyone's guess :shrug: I should imagine it'll be at Cosford though :)

Thanks fellows :)

After a further coat of Klear, I've now applied the panel line wash using Mig dark wash, which was applied using the usual capillary action method with a fine pointed brush. Once dried (15-20 minutes), I simply wiped the excess off with a piece of kitchen towel, and the job was done. A couple of small touch ups to do, and then I can think about putting on the exhaust staining on the fuselage sides, which I plan on keeping fairly light.

airframe21.jpg

Thanks again Mish ^_^

I managed to get some Tamiya smoke, and then some more mixed with a dot of Nato Brown splodged down the side of the airframe this evening. Starting in close & drawing back from the model as I drew it back along the flight-line. Seemed to have the desired effect of spreading & feathering out the "soot"...

airframe22.jpg

airframe23.jpg

There's a little bit of weathering on the panels running down the side of the fuselage, but it consists of small grey "chips", so doesn't show up much from the distance I took the pics from. The airframe was pretty clean anyway, so apart from a little brownish dirt under the fuselage, I'm not planning on doing much more in the way of weathering :)

Just glued on the landing gear legs, so here's a shot of her standing on her own three tyres for the first time :)

airframe24.jpg

You can probably still see the blob of blutak holding the starboard leg at the same angle as the port. The legs raked forwards quite a bit, so I've tried to replicate this. Gear doors go on once the glue's cured fully.

Just glued on the landing gear legs, so here's a shot of her standing on her own three tyres for the first time :)

You can probably still see the blob of blutak holding the starboard leg at the same angle as the port. The legs raked forwards quite a bit, so I've tried to replicate this. Gear doors go on once the glue's cured fully.

Looks right nice Mike!!!!

suprising how the canopy changes the overall appearance.

Chris.

Edited by stringbag