Martin Baker MB-5 (1:48 Falcon Vacform)

Mike

You might as well... shame to waste the cash. Your main issue will be the canopy though - perhaps you could have a word with Falcon & see if they'd sell you one separately? All the rest of the issues with the SC kit can be fixed with a little patience and the application of some good old fashioned modelling skills ;)

I'll agree with Mike on this one, my SC one looks alrightish, but has stalled pending a bit more space on the bench.......looking realy good Mike and well worth the effort!

Cheers

Col' / Strategic Nuclear Penguin!!!!

I'm more of a 1/72 type but like looking in on large scale builds, a good source of inspiration & information as well as wonderment at the skill of others. The MB5 is deinitely a favourite, I've one each from Pegasus & Skybirds in my stash. maybe I need to get A into G & dig them out.

Steve

Thanks for that... Looks like it falls between the two pairs of panel lines from what I can make out. I think I might run some strip along the lines, sand it to a ramp shape, then install a roof, portraying the rad vent slightly ajar as it were :)

Jobs done... dammit Kitnut! Stop noticing things! :lol:

airframe6.jpg

airframe7.jpg

The rad outlet comprises a sheet of styrene with two sides added (and 2 vanes inside for extra detail), which was then sanded to fit, and glued into place. It should fool all but the more determined viewer ;)

Hokay... I decided that now would be a good time to test the finish of the build by squirting a shedload of Alclad grey primer at it. I can see a few bits & pieces that'll need a quick flick with a sanding stick, and one of the power bulges at the front of the cowling seems to have developed a small hole where the vacuum pip was, so that'll have to be filled.

airframe8.jpg

airframe9.jpg

I've also begun painting the landing gear & wheels, and adding some detail to the scratch built gear bay doors. There's nothing showing on any of the pics other than a 2-layer effect, so I've added some 3D rivets from Archer to the affair to give it a bit of interest. I think they should just about be visible on the pic below. Of course the triangular doors will need some hinge detail added, and not shown are the three doors for the retractable tail wheel - those parts have been finished for some 3 years awaiting me to get my finger out! :blush:

bits1.jpg

Now... is there anything else I've missed before I get too confident I've almost finished? :lol:

I think you've got everything covered Mike, it's looking really good. I build almost exclusively 1/72, but I do have four or five 1/48 and a few 1/144 and 1/200, the 1/48 ones I started getting because the Airfix Club kit was the Spit Mk.XVI that year so I bought the Eduard Mk.22/24 (Airfix plus goodies) and the Airfix Mk.47 to go with it. Then I got the Silver Cloud Spiteful (or it was the MB5, sorry, can't remember it's one or the other) but after seeing your build here I'll be getting a 1/48 MB5 for sure. The late variant Spits/Seafires/Spitefuls and MB5 are my absolute favorite prop planes.

Robert

EDIT: Did you see that MB5 that appeared in SAMI or one of the other magazines which was a large scale build and was mostly of a MB5 with all the panels removed ?

Edited by kitnut617

Aileron differential :tease:

No! :P

EDIT: Did you see that MB5 that appeared in SAMI or one of the other magazines which was a large scale build and was mostly of a MB5 with all the panels removed ?

No - can't say I did. Does anyone have a copy that I could squint at :)

No - can't say I did. Does anyone have a copy that I could squint at :)

I've got a feeling it was in FSM, but then it would have been about 4 or 5 years ago I think, I'm sure it was before I moved house (3 years ago) I saw it. My magazines that I have saved are in storage so I can't go a find the article but the model was an absolute stunner. The only panels that were on it were what couldn't be removed, wings, fin and some parts of the fuselage, the rest of the model was a super-detail of the mian structure and equipment. As I said, absolutely stunning.

I've got a feeling it was in FSM, but then it would have been about 4 or 5 years ago I think, I'm sure it was before I moved house (3 years ago) I saw it. My magazines that I have saved are in storage so I can't go a find the article but the model was an absolute stunner. The only panels that were on it were what couldn't be removed, wings, fin and some parts of the fuselage, the rest of the model was a super-detail of the mian structure and equipment. As I said, absolutely stunning.

There's an outside chance that I might have the article myself then, although it doesn't ring any bells. I used to subscribe to FSM back then, so will have a look :)

Using my superior aviation knowlegde ( :rofl: ) I knew that the British aero industry began using Zinc Chromate primer with the MB-5, so a repaint of the wheel bays was required, so I killed 2 birds with one stone and painted those, gear bay doors and the flaps ZC in one session. I used Xtracrylix XA1117 Interior Green as the base color, which I lightened for some post-shading with yellow & white (mostly yellow). A coat of Klear followed, and then some Mig Dark Wash and a final coat of matt varnish.

airframe10.jpg

I might do a little dry brushing to pop out a few bits & bobs, or not.... if not, next job is to mask up the newly painted bays and spray a base coat of white onto which the yellow will go... scary, huh? :frantic: