Prototypes

AV O

I do not think I have seen any topic about them yet.
So while some like to weather their airplanes, I quite like clean ones.
Prototypes are usually nor too dirty, are they ?
Here are a few of them:

Jaguar International (Hasegawa)

Jaguar-Mk-2.jpg

Fairey Delta 2 (NOVO ex Frog)
Fairey-Delta2.jpgFD2.jpg

PANAVIA Tornado (Airfix)
TORNADOPrototype-JPG.jpgTornado-Proto-JPG.jpg

Mc Donnell Douglas YF-18 (Hasegawa)
OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

North American X-15 (Monogram)
R.jpgX-15A.jpg

Lockheed YF-22 (Italeri)
XF-22.jpg

Mc Donnell Douglas F-15E (Hasegawa early Mold / first airbrush)
F-15-EProto.jpgOLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpgNorthrop /Mc DD YF-23 / F -117 (Italeri)Capture-d-cran-2020-07-09-11-10-21.png

IAI Kfir (Hasegawa) MiG-21 (KP)Kfir-Mi-G-21.jpg

X-29 (Hasegawa)
X-29.jpg

With F-20 Tigershark (Hasegawa)
F-20X-29.jpg

Northrop F-20 / F-5F (Italeri)F-20F-5F.jpg

Edited by AV O
  • Like 1

A few more which would not fit above :

Convair POGO (KP)

POGO-1.jpg]Convair-POGOJPG.jpg

North American F-107 (Trumpeter)

F-10755118.jpgF-107N-A.jpg

F-107.jpg

Vought F8U-3 Crusader III (Anigrand)

F8-U-3profil.jpgF8-U-3-Dessus.jpg

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpgOLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Vought XF5U-1 Flying Pancake (Hasegawa)

Flying-Pancake-JPG.jpg

Rafale (Italeri)

Rafale.jpg

Edited by AV O
  • Like 1

these look absolutely fantastic! nice to see some not-so-common subjects

although i don't think you've removed all the Humbrol Maskol from the fairey delta 2........... :whistle:

Edited by hovis

although i don't think you've removed all the Humbrol Maskol from the fairey delta 2........... :whistle:

Don't be mistaken.

No transparent parts provided with the kit. I just used white glue or even Wood glue, if you like it better that way.

No decals were provided either. I realised afterwards that the roundels were transparent as I had painted the white stripes as well. I should have skipped the roundel space as I have seen on pictures of the real one.

Unfortunately, no Internet at the time !

Edited by AV O

Good grief, that brings back a few memories! :thumbsup: Nice one!

This is the second one I made. On the first one, I had noticed that the decals were not so good, Blue and Gold colours mixing at their edge. So I made masks and painted both Blue and Gold stripes, together with the anti glare panel. This way I also made sure that the colours would not fade away.

Edited by AV O

Don't be mistaken.

No transparent parts provided with the kit. I just used white glue or even Wood glue, if you like it better that way.

No decals were provided either. I realised afterwards that the roundels were transparent as I had painted the white stripes as well. I should have skipped the roundel space as I have seen on pictures of the real one.

Unfortunately, no Internet at the time !

sorry AV O, that was my pathetic attempt of a joke about it's colour............ :coat::shit::handbag:

I got it anyway. :)

Was the FD2 really that orful colour? I've always seen/pictured them as a sort of mid blue or natural metal. maybe I'm getting confused with the concord programme one :doh:

Steve

We had a thread about its different colours here :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...y+delta+colours

Thanks for that, didn't think to search, thinking out loud as it were. The Airliners net shows the one I remembered from Yeovilton, & the silver one from photos in my youth. I'd take either of them over the pruple but admit that it is stiking, well distinctive anyway & always a good talking point. ;)

Seriously like that P1, thats a really nice bare metal finish. How did you acheive that?

Steve.

AV O: Great looking models, interesting theme, it's cool seeing the a/c in comparison views, and finnaly frist rate construction..!!

Well Done Cheers,

ggc

Thanks for that, didn't think to search, thinking out loud as it were. The Airliners net shows the one I remembered from Yeovilton, & the silver one from photos in my youth. I'd take either of them over the pruple but admit that it is stiking, well distinctive anyway & always a good talking point. ;)

Seriously like that P1, thats a really nice bare metal finish. How did you acheive that?

Steve.

The simple answer is Alclad polished aluminium over gloss black enamel. The real answer involves 'elbow grease'. The first attempt came out looking like silver paint. This was almost all removed by rubbing down with wet and dry, reprimed and then several very thin coats of black enamel were applied, rubbing down between each, followed by a top coat of Alclad which was then buffed.

I think that the answer is to get that black undercoat really fine - glassy smooth. Normal gloss is just shiny.

John