OK, I'm in. Pfalz D.IIIa

dswoofie

Hi there,

I've taken the plunge and decided to join in here on the WWI GB. As I've never built a WWI aircraft, I thought this would be a change of scene for a while, and a refreshing change.

Now my knowledge of WWI and early aviation is a little sketchy at best. I knew a Sopwith Camel, RE.8 and a Fokker Dr.1, but that was about it. So this Pfalz is an unknown quantity to me!

After a lot of generous help from Bobs Buckles, I've got an Eduard 1/48 Pfalz D.IIIa Early Version and some of Bobs Buckles to go with it!

After looking it over, it looks a very nice kit. I've pretty much decided to go with the version on the box top. A Black and Aluminium one listed as Jasta 40, Carl von Degelow, Summer 1918... I chose this over the red/blue version purely becuse I like the silver stag thing on the side of it.

Well, here's the inevitable box and contents shot... now it's time to crack on with it! :whip:

Dscf0315.jpg

Karl.

P.S. Forgot to mention that it'll be OOB, unless I feel really brave and try some extras on it!

Edited by dswoofie

Welcome on board Karl.

This will be the third Pfalz for the GB, and as this plane is my favourite WW1 kite, I'm looking forward to seeing how they all come out. It's certainly inspired me to pick up a 32nd scale one when I'm back in the UK next month.

I have a 1/72nd Roden Pfalz in the stash, but won't add it to the growing rank of them on this GB though! Mind you, it would make a nice looking Jasta!

Cheers,

Nick

OK, I've made a start with it.

I went out today to buy some Umber oil paints from Hobbycraft in order to have a go at the wood effects. I found some Winsor & Newton ones that were oils, but could be thinned with water, and cleaned with water and soap. Sounds good to me as I hate smelly thinners etc, that's why I switched to Acrylics.

Here's the insides of the cockpit area. First of all I gave them a coat of Tamiya Buff (XF-57) as a base, and then a couple of coats of Klear.

DSCF0318.jpg

Once dried, I put on some of the oil paint and used a stiffish brush to try and create the graining on the wood. I was suprised how easy it was.

DSCF0319.jpg

I left it for a while and then ran the brush over again to enhance the graining, doing it about every 15 mins or so until I was happy. Here's what I've left it at for now, all I've got to do is wait for it to dry! Could do better, but not bad for a first attempt me thinks! I'm happy with it so far anyway.

DSCF0320.jpg

Next up will be trying to do the prop...

Karl.

Right, it's prop time.

I'm not going for complete historical accuracy on this build, just purely enjoying it and doing it the way I want!

I don't know if the real Pfalz had a laminated prop, but mine has (well as long as it works anyway!)

I've given the prop a coat of Tamiya XF-57 Buff, and then coated with Klear.

DSCF0321.jpg

Once that was done and dried, I've used the Burnt Umber Oil paint to add some darker laminations to the propeller. Once this is dry I will seal it and use the same method I used on the interior to make it Woody.

DSCF0324.jpg

Looks a bit wierd at the moment, but until it's dry I can't show you any more yet!

Whilst this is doing, I'll be playing at making some seat belts...

Please feel free to comment on it!

Karl.

It's time for a "Too late to be of any use" tip. I have found that I can save myself a step or two, when the plastic is the colour that this is in a kit. I don't need to paint the base and then put Klear on it. I just brush the oils straight onto the plastic. Works a charm.

When it comes to a laminated prop, I paint the lighter colour on first, let it dry, then mask off the area I want to stay light, and paint on the darker oils.

The wood effect you have done on the interior and the prop looks great. Nice model so far.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks Jay, I'm surprising myself as I go along here!

You know, I did consider the fact that I could have done the oils onto the plastic, but not until I'd done all the Buff painting and klear! :dunce: Would have saved a fair bit of time as well!

Can't wait to crack on with it, but it's taking ages for the oil paint to dry... and I thought enamels were bad!!

Karl.

With Jay's idea I've been able to crack on a bit. Got the Prop finished now, and I'm really pleased with it :)

DSCF0330.jpg

I've also made some belts for the seat which look OK for me.

DSCF0326.jpg

Made up the cockpit section and the engine, they're drying now and I'll be ready to fit them later on...

Karl.

• 4 weeks later...

Righty ho! finally got some more work done on the Pfalz this week. Got back to it on Wednesday and made some good progress after nearly 3 weeks of inactivity (modelwise anyway!)

Here's where I was 3 weeks ago, all of the cockpit was done and the fuselage halves were ready to go together. I was really pleased with the cockpit in the end as I was a little worried about it looking a bit sparse. Not being used to cockpits like this led to a bit of trepidation as to how to do it.

Fuselage Halves...

aa8cb08b.jpg

'Open' cockpit view...

12be82ba.jpg

In the last couple of days I've done 90% of the painting, and some of the decalling. All thats left to do now is sticking on the top wing and the wheels, then the rigging. If I say it like that it doesn't sound too bad does it!!!!

Here's the current state of play. Please ignore the sh*t tip of a desk. You can only see 20% of the mess here. There honestly is a Pfalz in there somewhere!

3afb9480.jpg

No work on it tomorrow as I'm off to the IPMS Cov/Warks show at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry.

Happy Modelling! ;)

Karl.

Karl,

Really nice work there mate.

Don't worry about the cockpit being sparse, cos they were sparse on the real thing. Not like the pit on a Se5a (good luck tango Man :tease: ).

What did you use for Silber grau?

Bloody hell! I'm miles behind some of you lot...

My plan is to come in at the end with fanfare, pomp & circumstance. Hopefully that will bull :shit: my way to a Flory Wash.

HEHE

Bobby Wash-less

Karl,

Really nice work there mate.

Don't worry about the cockpit being sparse, cos they were sparse on the real thing. Not like the pit on a Se5a (good luck tango Man :tease: ).

What did you use for Silber grau?

Bloody hell! I'm miles behind some of you lot...

My plan is to come in at the end with fanfare, pomp & circumstance. Hopefully that will bull :shit: my way to a Flory Wash.

HEHE

Bobby Wash-less

Bob,

The silber grau is just Citadel Mithril Silver Matted down.

Karl - please go away - you are depressing me.

David.

PS Are you sure you have not photoshopped a real prop into that image? Tell the truth now.

:D No, it's not photoshopped! Don't get depressed, they're easy to do... give it a go.

Looking really good Karl, keep it coming.

Thanks mate!

Karl.

Right, it's rigging time!

For the rigging I'll be using some fishing line along with some of Bobs Buckles. I've only ever rigged one kit before, and that was a Swordfish. With that I used the method of drilling right through the wings for the rigging. With the buckles this is a completely different way of doing things for me...

Anyway, these little buckles are great, I've no doubt that Bob requires ample amounts of Jedi Mind tricks in order to make them. Here's a shot of them to give you an idea of them...

2de6c176.jpg

3ead02b4.jpg

And no!, I haven't made a fake bigger 5 pence piece, they really are that small!

Lots of drilling, supergluing, and whole bucket full of swearing has me at this position...

e8605c74.jpg

a5fd8a08.jpg

One word keeps springing to mind... Fu......oh, not that one,... Spaghetti!!

The only problem now is that the cats REALLY love this model at the moment... it's like a bloody magnet to them with all the strands on it...

Happy Modelling!

Karl.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh! Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest...

Spent most of the day doing the rigging, and it was about as easy as shoving wet spaghetti up an angry cats bottom! :banghead:

It came out OK in the end. Not as good as I was hoping but it'll do. Had one issue that nearly put an end to this kit. I managed to superglue the tweezers onto the rigging whilst not really concentrating on what I was doing :unsure: also managed to CA a small piece of wire to my thumb :dunce: (and not even the stuff I was using for the rigging?!?!)

It's currently waiting for it's wobbly legs to set a bit and I'll try and take some shots tonight. I have a bad feeling about the undercarriage, I get the feeling that it might just fold up when I stand it on the wheels... hopefully it gets a bit stronger.

Right, I'm off for some food :eat: and to watch Stargate Atlantis :hypnotised: for a couple of hours while this kit sets a bit... some pics later on I promise...

Karl.

Spent most of the day doing the rigging, and it was about as easy as shoving wet spaghetti up an angry cats bottom! :banghead:

:rofl: Sounds as if you've had an interesting day Karl.

Edited by Col.

:rofl: Sounds as if you've had an interesting day Karl.

Hmmmm, yes Col, you could say that!

I don't know why because when I did the Swordfish I thought the rigging was a doddle, but this one... Grrrrrrrr.

I'm off to take a couple of quick pics if the thing will stand on it's own legs yet!

Karl.