Model Aviation World

Mike

I'm about half way through the copy I picked up at SMW, and I have to say I'm liking it a lot... watch out for a full review once I've finished.

Let's hear your thoughts too, eh? :)

Hi Mike and everyone

Sorry to 'cross post', but this is what I wroted on the other thread about MAW:

I'm very impressed! As well as 2 features on 72nd scale aircraft (my main scale :D ) the photography is excellent and I like the words :) By which I mean the contributers write in a way I like, easy to ready but still informative.

I'm certainly looking forwrd to the next issue, something I've not said about a magazine for a while.

Carry on the good work Spence :thumbsup:

Jimbo

Hi Mike

only just found this thread- asked what the mag was like in another thread :doh:

have been unable to get into Barnsley to visit Smith's - or even my local newsagents - cripes will have a pile of Beanos to collect from there :wacko:

IMHO it's worth the trip & the extra expense of the Beanos ;)

I bought this at Telford, and got the £5 special. I've got to say it's a bloody good issue for that critial first press. Far nicer than some of the copycat rags out there at the moment, and put together by an editor that seems to know what we want and not just copy other publications.

Cheers Spence...nice work ;)

I bought this at Telford, and got the £5 special. I've got to say it's a bloody good issue for that critial first press. Far nicer than some of the copycat rags out there at the moment, and put together by an editor that seems to know what we want and not just copy other publications.

Cheers Spence...nice work ;)

Hey guys - thanks very much for the kind words on the new magazine, we're really glad that you seem to like it so much. I'm also glad that you see that we're not trying to copy other magazines as that was something that we will avoid at all costs. Why create something once more that is so well covered elsewhere? As for future issues, they will pretty much carry on the style that we created for the first issue and as such, will cover what we think will be interesting subjects using large pictures and detailed descriptions to get the point across. The showcase feature for the next few issues (February and March) will be our build of the Airfix Mosquito. This will cover the thick end of twenty pages and will include a complete step-by-step constructional guide to building and painting the model for those keen to have a go at the kit for themselves. All I have to do is get the thing finished!

Anyone who has any ideas for features or who would like to get involved let us know - and for those who already have, we'll be getting back to you over the next week or so... :pray:

All the best and thanks once again, Spence :D

Great, saw a copy at a friends, nice mag,but-

I won't be buying it. Why? I liked the "cross pollination approach of Tamiya mag and M.I.S. The jump between detailing and painting/weathering between aircraft and armour was just perfect. Now it isn't, I am poor, magazines are expensive, and so I now will no longer be buying MIS either as there are no longer aircraft in it.

It's not too bad I have to say, albeit the editorial staff are hardly 'new' to the game!!

Like all mags, some minor nit-picking (e.g. in the Storch article, he doesn't really tell us WHY he used parts from the Academy and Heller kits - what was bad about the Heller parts he didn't use?; Desert Camo Buccs were not in Mid-stone) but nothing you wouldn't find in any of the other magazines.

The promised series on A-H flying boats looks interesting.

Great, saw a copy at a friends, nice mag,but-

I won't be buying it. Why? I liked the "cross pollination approach of Tamiya mag and M.I.S. The jump between detailing and painting/weathering between aircraft and armour was just perfect. Now it isn't, I am poor, magazines are expensive, and so I now will no longer be buying MIS either as there are no longer aircraft in it.

..my feelings too.. I guess those of us who dabble in armour as well as aircraft are probably in a very small minority. Didn't buy issue 1. Had every intention of doing so. Bought my first SAM under the new regime instead. Still (occasionally) buy MAM. Can't justify any of the others as well due finance. Have stopped buying general aircraft mags like Flypast, Aeroplane.....most of what I want in terms of 'reference' can be found on the net...

It's not too bad I have to say, albeit the editorial staff are hardly 'new' to the game!!

Like all mags, some minor nit-picking (e.g. in the Storch article, he doesn't really tell us WHY he used parts from the Academy and Heller kits - what was bad about the Heller parts he didn't use?; Desert Camo Buccs were not in Mid-stone) but nothing you wouldn't find in any of the other magazines.

The promised series on A-H flying boats looks interesting.

Thanks for the comments. The reason why Diego used the Academy kit with Heller details is that he felt that the Academy kit was better overall, but he wanted to have separate control surfaces and so used those from the Heller kit (Academy's being fixed I believe). The nose and prop were also used from the Heller kit because again, he felt they were better than the Academy items. As for the Buccaneer, you're right, the captions perhaps should have read 'Light Stone'...

..my feelings too.. I guess those of us who dabble in armour as well as aircraft are probably in a very small minority. Didn't buy issue 1. Had every intention of doing so. Bought my first SAM under the new regime instead. Still (occasionally) buy MAM. Can't justify any of the others as well due finance. Have stopped buying general aircraft mags like Flypast, Aeroplane.....most of what I want in terms of 'reference' can be found on the net...

The decision to produce two separate magazines was not taken lightly, but was the result of a great deal of thought and actually talking to fixed readers and those that we wanted to buy the magazine. More often than not we had armour modellers saying that there was "too many aircraft in the magazine", or aircraft modellers saying that there was "too much armour". Result? Lost sales. Being a commercial organisation we felt that we were loosing out and so made the decision to produce two parrallel titles that gave us the chance to be more focussed than we've been in the past. Time will tell if we've made the right decision...

All the best, Spence

Having viewed the magazine in my local Smiths I was put off buying it by the Brisfit article which seemed to dominate the magazine. I find articles on such super kits of little relevance to my modelling interests and a turn off,I will never build kits such as the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire and Airfix 1/24 Mosquito,large articles on such kits that seem to takeover a magazine just put me off the magazines that carry them.

I can't explain why but I also find the layout of Model Aviation World and MIS off putting which was one of the reasons I rarely bought MIS.

Sorry for sounding negative but this is my take on the magazine and the reason I left it on the shelf. I hope you would prefer my honest opinion rather than a fawning reply. In the end I guess it's horses for courses.

Malcolm

Not impressed at all, MIS was my favourite magazine, I build mainly aircraft but I also dabble in armour so it was a perfect magazine for me, kept me up to date with military stuff and had interesting aircraft articles as well, perfect.

I have loads of pure aircraft mags on subscription so do not need another one.

Cheers

Den

In the past I've subscribed to many magazines, SAM from the very beginning, SAMI likewise from its first appearance when SAM temporarily disappeared, I've also subscribed to Military Modelling and FSM, plus I've bought other mags as and when, however I stopped subscribing to all of them a couple of years back, as others have said there was too much repetition.

Now I go into WHSmith or wherever, browse the magazine, if one magazine has enough articles that interest me to justify the cover cost I buy it, otherwise it stays on the shelf, I do like a magazine that covers a broad spectrum, I used to build just aircraft, dabbled with armour, cars and ships, but these days its mostly armour but I'm still interested in other areas.

I will say that on this principle it is mostly Military In Scale and Military Modelling that have been coming home with me, I haven't seen the new mag and I wish Spence all the best with the new venture

Does anyone know just how many modelling titles we now have available?

big-breasts-hear296.jpg

growing-breasts-illusion.jpg

I definitely feel better!

I used to like the combo approach although it does reduce the chance of relevant articles, now I can choose a tank mag or an air mag.

as it was i bought both, but pocket money might make me choose one or t'other in the future. I thought the MAW issue was good, quality is high both on builds and content, but would like to see more reviews, more 1/72, more pics, more detail , more profiles, more plans!

Edited by Deon

big-breasts-hear296.jpg

Hypno_Breasts_web-vi.jpg

Does that help?

Not sure how it will make them feel worse :shrug:

:doh:

THIS sort of puppy! Jeeezuz some people :rolleyes:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:d2XGc2s...ppy-posters.jpg

big-breasts-hear296.jpg

Hypno_Breasts_web-vi.jpg