1/32 Spitfire IX decals - how much interest is there?

Jennings Heilig

1/32 Spit IX Decal Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I would be interested in purchasing a single-subject sheet for one or both aircraft shown here:

• I would purchase one of the two
    • I would purchase both
    • I'm not interested in either

Hi All

Several people have stated a preference for less subject matter on a decal sheet for the Tamiya 1/32 Mk.IXc. Since most folks will only buy one, or maybe two of the Tamiya kits (or maybe ten, but that's another issue), they don't want to have to buy a decal sheet with multiple airplanes on it. If (and this is an "if" at this point) I were to silkscreen print decals for the aircraft depicted below as single subject sheets, and if I could keep the cost at around US $10 or less, how many would be interested?? It would be a strictly limited run thing (probably less than 100 copies of each), depending on interest, and that's it. The interest I get will determine whether or not I decide to print these. And note that these will be traditional silkscreen printed decals, not ink jet or Alps. They're the real thing (and the inks won't fade or color shift like computer printed decals will). These decals won't include roundels, etc, just the individual aircraft markings. I'm only talking 1/32 here, and while there's a possibility that if these were to go well I might consider others, for now I'm only talking about these two aircraft. If I were to do others, I'll solicit input on subject matter. But for now let's keep it to these two in 1/32 scale.

The first airplane is depicted in a photo in Robert Bracken's "Spitfire: The Canadians". It was flown by Len Thorne of 421 Sqdn RCAF from Kenley in late 1943, early 1944. There is some educated guesswork in my depiction. Bracken states that the individual code was probably "U" for BS147. Since I'm not aware of any photos of the entire airplane, that part probably will remain lost to history. There is one photo of AU-U showing the code, but it's not clear whether it's a Mk.V or a Mk.IX since you can't see either the prop or the serial. But what I am sure of is the gorgeous "red indian" logo of the McColl-Frontenac Oil Company that was used by 421 Sqdn. Thorne's aircraft also had a smaller than usual Canadian maple leaf decal. I've depicted it in green, but as with the other Canadian maple leaves on Spits, I'd provide it in red and green to suit your fancy (oh for a couple of rolls of Kodachrome 25 back then..). In the rendering below I took the liberty of adding D-Day stripes to it, although the photo in Bracken's book is from late 1943. As far as I can determine, BS147 remained on charge with 421 Sqdn until well past D-Day, so it's likely she carried the stripes. I only wish we had better hard info on her, but with the two decals on the cowling, she was too pretty to pass up.

AU-U.jpg

The second aircraft is from No. 611 Sqdn. She's a very early Mk.IX at Biggin Hill in late 1942 or early 1943. While EN133 was an early Mk.IXc (converted from a Mk.V), she's not one of the ones with the oddball cowling. Interestingly, the Morgan & Shacklady bible has a photo of her with a caption stating that her aircraft record card doesn't indicate that she was ever issued to a squadron, yet there are several photos of her with full 611 markings. I really liked the 611 squadron badge motif below the windscreen on this one. This should satisfy the "we've got nothing but Canadians" crowd as well :)

EN133.jpg

Let me hear your voices!

Hi All

Several people have stated a preference for less subject matter on a decal sheet for the Tamiya 1/32 Mk.IXc. Since most folks will only buy one, or maybe two of the Tamiya kits (or maybe ten, but that's another issue), they don't want to have to buy a decal sheet with multiple airplanes on it. If (and this is an "if" at this point) I were to silkscreen print decals for the aircraft depicted below as single subject sheets, and if I could keep the cost at around US $10 or less, how many would be interested?? It would be a strictly limited run thing (probably less than 100 copies of each), depending on interest, and that's it. The interest I get will determine whether or not I decide to print these. And note that these will be traditional silkscreen printed decals, not ink jet or Alps. They're the real thing (and the inks won't fade or color shift like computer printed decals will). These decals won't include roundels, etc, just the individual aircraft markings. I'm only talking 1/32 here, and while there's a possibility that if these were to go well I might consider others, for now I'm only talking about these two aircraft. If I were to do others, I'll solicit input on subject matter. But for now let's keep it to these two in 1/32 scale.

The first airplane is depicted in a photo in Robert Bracken's "Spitfire: The Canadians". It was flown by Len Thorne of 421 Sqdn RCAF from Kenley in late 1943, early 1944. There is some educated guesswork in my depiction. Bracken states that the individual code was probably "U" for BS147. Since I'm not aware of any photos of the entire airplane, that part probably will remain lost to history. There is one photo of AU-U showing the code, but it's not clear whether it's a Mk.V or a Mk.IX since you can't see either the prop or the serial. But what I am sure of is the gorgeous "red indian" logo of the McColl-Frontenac Oil Company that was used by 421 Sqdn. Thorne's aircraft also had a smaller than usual Canadian maple leaf decal. I've depicted it in green, but as with the other Canadian maple leaves on Spits, I'd provide it in red and green to suit your fancy (oh for a couple of rolls of Kodachrome 25 back then..). In the rendering below I took the liberty of adding D-Day stripes to it, although the photo in Bracken's book is from late 1943. As far as I can determine, BS147 remained on charge with 421 Sqdn until well past D-Day, so it's likely she carried the stripes. I only wish we had better hard info on her, but with the two decals on the cowling, she was too pretty to pass up.

AU-U.jpg

The second aircraft is from No. 611 Sqdn. She's a very early Mk.IX at Biggin Hill in late 1942 or early 1943. While EN133 was an early Mk.IXc (converted from a Mk.V), she's not one of the ones with the oddball cowling. Interestingly, the Morgan & Shacklady bible has a photo of her with a caption stating that her aircraft record card doesn't indicate that she was ever issued to a squadron, yet there are several photos of her with full 611 markings. I really liked the 611 squadron badge motif below the windscreen on this one. This should satisfy the "we've got nothing but Canadians" crowd as well :)

EN133.jpg

Let me hear your voices!

I was going to finish mine as FY-F, 611 squadron, using masks.

If your decal became available, I would certainly buy one.

Trubbie

I'd purchase the 421 option.

You should have put an option to vote for which option if only buying one. 7 have voted thus far for only one but didn't follow up in the thread with which one.

Edited by Scooby

I'm not interested... but I am interested in the idea.

Are you a silk screen printer? otherwise how were you going to get them printed?

I'd buy the 611 sheet - my first ever 1:48 Spitfire build was a 611 Sqn Mk IXc, and I'd like to do it again in the larger scale...

Edited by MFord

• 5 years later...

The decal sheet referred to above (five years ago) is this one:

http://www.victorymodels.com/victory-productions-1-32-decals-supermarine-spitfire-mk-viii-mk-ix-tamiya.html

and a big image of the options here:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/vpd/images/vpd32004p.jpg

AU-U is your grandfather's aircraft BS147, 421 Sqn, RCAF, Kenley, 1944.

As far as I can determine, BS147 remained on charge with 421 Sqdn until well past D-Day, so it's likely she carried the stripes.

I think 421 Sqn replaced their Spitfire F.IXs (such as BS147) with LF.IXs in early 1944, so I'm afraid it's not that likely she was still with the unit on D-Day.

I think that it is a great idea Jennings but the two options that you`ve mentioned are not of interest to me.

If you could bring out some less well known aircraft with interesting markings or individual artwork, possibly from overseas based units then I would be very interested to see what you come up with. I`d be happy to help with reference material if I can be of help?

Cheers

Tony

Between 7-9-44 & 24-9-44:-

PL433 FF-B S/L Charney; NH476 FF-E F/O Parker; NH176 9G-Y P/O Monette & P/O Macintosh; NH537 LO-U; PT357 FU-L; NL345 9G-W S/L Kelly Walker; NH171 LO-Z; NH481 FF-B; NH305 FF-R; NH473 FF-Z; PL226 FF-R; ML265 FF-B; NH407 9G-T; PT396 LO-C; PK998 FF-Z; PL213 LO-W; PL454 FF-Z; NH380 LO-Q.

FF = 132 Squadron, 9G = 441 Squadron, LO = 602 Squadron, FU = 453 Squadron