Mark's KUTA Build

FZ6

These are the three I'm considering to finish for this Group build

Accurate Miniatures SBD-2 Dauntless (Midway)

Dauntless01-1.jpg

Trumpeter Mig-19PM Farmer E (Cuban)

Mig-19006.jpg

Harrier T.10 Hasegawa kit with Heritage Conversion

HarrierT10.jpg

Edited by FZ6

Nice one Mark you might be able to get all three done? I've made such good progreaa with my RAF A-10 that I feel sure I can finish off my Sqd 111 FGR.2

I'll give it a go Mish but I think I'll concentrate on one, maybe a second if the first goes well but I am guilty of overstretching myself.

I think I'll concentrate on the Dauntless first. It will be a marines one from Midway so I'm looking forward to doing a weathered paint scheme.

I think I'll concentrate on one, maybe a second if the first goes well but I am guilty of overstretching myself.

I know that feeling. :banghead:

I think I'll concentrate on the Dauntless first. It will be a marines one from Midway so I'm looking forward to doing a weathered paint scheme.

That sounds interesting.

Will be watching. :popcorn:

I know that feeling. :banghead:

I agree I'm really bad for it. Too easily inspired by the next thing that's me!

I thought I'd post some cockpit shots. The interior on this Accurate Miniatures kit is simply stunning and I wanted to record the detail before I closed up the fuselage. Most of the interior parts are from the kit with just the addition of an Eduard Zoom set to get these results.

DauntlessPit1.jpg

DauntlessPit2.jpg

I've also included some images now the fuselage halves are together. I used my Dorr Ring light to light the model for the pics. A tool I think is going to become invaluble to me in the futere when photographing small detail parts.

Dauntless02.jpg

Dauntless03.jpg

Dauntless04.jpg

Looks fantastic Mark

what is this Dorr ring light of which you speak please?

The Ring light is basically a light fitting that goes on the front of the camera around the lens. The ring of LEDs is designed to give a soft even light around the subject. With Macro work lighting is difficult as the lens usually obscures the light from the subject. This ensures that it doesn't happen. The is a cheaper alternative to the more expensive ringflash. The only downside really is that the camera really needs to be on a tripod to get results with it with small apertures. It could in theory als be used with compact cameras as the light has a tripod mount so it could be held in front of the camera.

RingLight1.jpg

RingLight2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not had much time to do much modelling but managed to crack on this weekend.

The SBD-2s the Marines had at Midway were older aircraft thad had belonged to a different unit and had had some of the older markings painted out including the red dots on the roundels as well as the red and white stripes on the rudder. A decal for the rudder is supplied showing darker stripes to represent this but I thought I'd try painting them out myself to see what it would look like and keep the decal in reserve in case I mess up.

First off I masked the Rudder and paited it white then masked the stripes using the decal as a guide then I painted them red.

Dauntless05.jpg

Dauntless06.jpg

Next job is to overpaint them.

• 4 weeks later...

Things have being going slow on this due to other commitments over Christmas. Plus I got an Airfix 1:24 Mossie and have been playing with that. Easily distracted that's me!

I've managed to get some blue on the rudder for that overpainted look.

Dauntless07.jpg

Here is a shot with the front engine cowl and canopies dry fitted in place.

Dauntless08.jpg

When the rudder has dried and the paint is cured the next job is sanding the joins and the dive brakes. I've just noticed the upper dive brakes are too short! Not a problem if I have them raised but I wanted to have the upper ones closed. I have to decide which is quicker. Build up the kit ones with shims or make new ones out of plasticard!